Albert Street

Singapore Infopedia


Albert Street, located in the Rochor area, begins from the junction of Queen Street and New Bugis Street and ends at Selegie Road. It was named after Prince Albert, the consort of Queen Victoria of England.1 Hindus used to perform the annual firewalking ceremony of Theemithi on this street until the ritual was moved to the Sri Mariamman Temple in 1840.2

Albert Street forms junctions with Waterloo Street, Bencoolen Street, Prinsep Street and Short Street. In March 1858, the municipal commissioners of Singapore named the street in honour of Prince Albert, the consort of Queen Victoria of England.3 Prior to this, the street was just an unnamed side road located between Selegie Street and Waterloo Street that led to Rochor Road.4 Theemithi, the Hindu firewalking ceremony, was originally performed on this street because of the street’s proximity to Serangoon Road and its large Indian community. The ritual was later moved to the Sri Mariamman Temple on South Bridge Road in 1840.5 In the early days, the street was a part of Kampong Bencoolen, an enclave of Muslims from Bencoolen, Sumatra.6

Albert Street was originally lined with two-storey shophouses, and was famous for its Chinese restaurants, bars, medicine shops and food stalls.7 The most sought after eatery along this street was the Wing Seong Restaurant, commonly called Fatty’s Restaurant. It moved to Albert Complex in 1986.8 Albert Street has been converted into a pedestrian mall and is no longer open to vehicular traffic. The street is now part of the Bras Basah.Bugis Precinct, the arts, culture, learning and entertainment district in the city’s centre.9

Key features
Such is the fame of Albert Street that many of its buildings have taken on the name of the street. The Albert Court Hotel comprises pre-war conservation shophouses and features Peranakan interior décor and furniture.10 Albert Court is a mall made up of two rows of 30 refurbished shophouses, most of them eateries.11 The 20-storey Burlington Square, which comprises an office building, retail space and three residential towers, stands at the junction of Albert and Bencoolen streets.12 

Other commercial buildings on Albert Street include Sim Lim Square, Fu Lu Shou Complex and Albert Centre.13

Variant names14
Chinese names:
(1) Kam kong mang ku lu (Hokkien) or “Kampong Bencoolen”  which means “Bencoolen Village”.
(2) Ba mua lu koi (Hokkien) which means “the street where sesame seeds are squeezed for their oil”.
(3) Mo ma-yau kai (Cantonese) or “grind oil of sesamum street” which means “the street where oil is expressed from sesamum”.
Tamil name: Thimiri thidal which means “the place where people tread on fire”. 

Naidu Ratnala Thulaja

1. Dhoraisingam S. Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage: Through Places of Historical Interest (Singapore: Elixir Consultancy Service, 1991), 231. (Call no. RSING 959.57 SAM-[HIS])
2. E. Sanmugam, et al. eds., Sacred Sanctuary: The Sri Mariamman Temple (Singapore: Sri Mariamman Temple, 2009), 15 (Call no. RSING 294.535095957 SAC); Leong Weng Kam, “Walking on Fire for His Dead Parents,” Straits Times, 8 October 1998, 27. (From NewspaperSG)
3. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 13. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
4. Charles Burton Buckley, An Anecdotal History of Old Times in Singapore, vol. 2 (Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1984), 667. (Call no. RSING 959.57 BUC-[HIS])
5. Sanmugam, E., et al., Sacred Sanctuary, 15; Leong, “Walking on Fire for His Dead Parents.”
6. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 13.
7. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 282 (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA]); Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage, 231.
8. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 13; Audrey Pereira, “Fatty Passes His Wok to Skinny after 47 Years,” Straits Times, 30 March 1986, 1Mara Fernandez, “New $35-Million Shopping Centre,” Straits Times, 1 November 1986, 12. (From NewspaperSG)
9. Fernandez, “New $35-Million Shopping Centre”; Ann Williams, “Bugis-Rochor Area to Be Arts, Entertainment Hub,” Straits Times, 9 September 1995, 48; “No Cars on These Roads,” New Paper, 2 October 1996, 48 (From NewspaperSG); Bras Basah. Bugis, “Precinct Map,” accessed 30 June 2017.
10. “New Hotel Sports ’30s Style,” Straits Times, 20 July 1995, 22. (From NewspaperSG)
11. Sit Yin Fong, “Albert Court? Where’s That?” Straits Times, 27 November 1995, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
12. Kalpana Rashiwala, “Wing Tai Set to Launch Burlington Sq Project,” Straits Times, 2 July 1998, 63. (From NewspaperSG)
13. Fernandez, “New $35-Million Shopping Centre”; Lim Soo Neo, “New Shopping Belt at Rochor Road Area,” Business Times, 30 December 1983, 2; Lim Soo Neo, “Another Project from Goldhill Developments,” Business Times, 28 December 1982, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
14. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 13; Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 282; Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publications, 2000), 3 (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS]); H. W. Firmstone, Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay PeninsulaJournal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 54–55 (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 JMBRAS); Sagittarius, “Singapore Street Names,” Straits Times, 9 July 1933, 13. (From NewspaperSG)

The information in this article is valid as at 2017 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Havelock Road


Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, goes down along and almost parallel to the Singapore River, and stretches until Eu Tong Sen Street before it opens into Upper Pickering Street. Havelock Road was named by...

Magazine Road


Magazine Road connects Havelock Road and Merchant Road. The road probably got its name due to its association with the old ammunition storage ground of Havelock Road....

Collyer Quay


Collyer Quay is a street and seawall located in the Downtown Core of Singapore’s central region. Built by convict labour, Collyer Quay stretches from the junction of Fullerton Road and Battery Road to the junction of D’Almeida Street. It served as an important landing point for the unloading and storage...

Kim Seng Road


Kim Seng Road was named after Peranakan philanthropist Tan Kim Seng. ...

North Bridge Road


North Bridge Road is one of the earliest roads in Singapore. It runs through the downtown core and Rochor and Kallang areas in the central region. The road begins at Crawfurd Street and ends where Elgin Bridge crosses into South Bridge Road. ...

Market Street


Market Street refers to two one-way roads within the central business district. One road connects Church Street to Chulia Street, while the other connects Cecil Street to the junction of Cross Street and Robinson Road. ...

Pagoda Street


Located in Chinatown, Pagoda Street runs parallel to Mosque Street and Temple Street. Together with Trengganu Street, it was converted into a pedestrian mall in 1997. ...

Strait of Johor


The Strait of Johor is situated north of Singapore, between mainland peninsular Malaysia and Singapore. The Territorial Waters Agreement of 1927 specified an imaginary line in the Johor Strait as an international boundary, following which a new boundary line was drawn in 1994 to help resolve future border disputes. There...

Whiteaway Laidlaw


Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900. Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before...

G. D. Coleman


G. D. (George Dromgold) Coleman (b. 1795, Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland–d. 27 March 1844, Singapore) was Singapore’s pioneer colonial architect. He became the first Government Superintendent of Public Works when he was appointed in 1833. Coleman planned, surveyed and built much of early Singapore, shaping the course of Singapore’s architectural...