Selegie Road

Singapore Infopedia


Selegie Road is a continuation of Dhoby Ghaut that joins Serangoon Road.1 Selegie in Malay refers to a wooden spear sharpened and hardened by fire.2 Another variant spelling for selegie is seligi, which is the nibong palm used in flooring and fishing stakes. The area was probably named after a Bugis pirate, whose people were known as Orang Selegie.3 They were said to have lived on a hill4 that was located near Selegie Road during Singapore’s early years.5 The hill was known to be Mount Sophia, which was called “Bukit Selegi” during Raffles’ time.6

According to legend, Selegie Road was the site of many battles fought during Singapore in the 14th century.7 During the sacking of Temasekin 1377, the king was believed to have fled via this road, then merely a track carved out by trade. He made his way to Seletar and escaped by boat.8 The area was also known to be rich in spice trees and bamboos in the 1850s. Today, these bamboos are no longer visible.9 Selegie Road also formed part of a nutmeg estate belonging to Charles Robert Prinsep.10 Later as Singapore developed, Indians became new residents in the area.11 After all, located not far from Selegie Road was the beginnings of Little India, a distinct area for the local Indian community. It was also an enclave for the Chitty Melaka or Indian Peranakans, many of whom came in the 1930s looking for jobs.12

Key Features
Many of the shophouses at Selegie were built by Indian convicts. These included the unique two-storey shophouses built with timber beams with base-relief moulding used as decoration on the windows.13 The first Chinese YMCA was built along Selegie in February 1948.14

Ellison Building
At the junction between Selegie Road and Bukit Timah Road stood the two-storey Ellison building,15 named after the owner Isaac Ellison.16 The building was constructed for his wife, Flora Ellison, in 1924.17 The Colonial governors would sit at the roof of this building to catch races at Race Course Road held each Sunday.18

David Elias Building
The David Elias Building is located at the corner where Short Street and Middle Road meet Selegie Road.19 Built by a prominent Jewish settler in 1928,20 the 3-storey building was used mainly for commercial activities. Its architectural design is characteristic of the late 1920s, featuring cantilevered bay windows with Italianate balconies and a corniced roof. The building also featured the six-pointed Star of David.21

Unfortunately, many of the old buildings were torn down to make way for new development. They are replaced with shopping malls, offices and residential complexes such as Paradiz Centre, Peace Centre and Selegie Complex.22

Selegie Primary School
Standing along Selegie Road is the former Selegie Primary School. It was one of the tallest school in Asia23 and the first high-rise school building in Singapore.24 The 10-storey school building is located at the junction of Selegie Road and Short Street.

Variant Names

Chinese name: Known as Tek Kia Kha, “The foot of the small bamboos”.25 The name was derived from the presence of bamboo clumps in the neighbourhood. Sometimes the name extended to Tek Kha tit koi, or “foot of the bamboos, straight street”.26

Tamil name: It was referred to as Nagappenn Than, meaning “Nagappenn’s water tank”.27 Nagappenn refers to a man who used to sell water to the public.28


Heirwin Mohd Nasir

1. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 287. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
2. Ray Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 71. (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS])
3. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 337. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
4. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 274. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
5. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 337.
6. “About Mount Sophia,” Urban Redevelopment Authority, 2016.
7. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 71.
8. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 274.
9. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 337.
10. Urban Redevelopment Authority, “About Mount Sophia.”
11. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 71.
12. “The Other Babas,” Straits Times, 28 June 1992, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
13. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 71.
14. “A Past Fraught with Mishaps, a Future Full of Big Dreams,” Straits Times, 20 October 1996, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
15. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 260.
16. “Untitled,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 1 January 1924, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
17. Ellison Building, Selegie Road: General view, 15 October 1978, photograph, Lee Kip Lin Collection, National Library Board.
18. “Save These Buildings,” Straits Times, 3 January 2007, 24. (From NewspaperSG)
19. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 260.
20. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 71.
21. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 261.
22. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 71.
23. “Government to Build Tallest School in Asia,” Singapore Free Press, 29 December 1960, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
24. Urban Redevelopment Authority, “About Mount Sophia.”
25. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 274.
26. H. W. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay Peninsula,” Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 126–7. (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 JMBRAS)
27. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 274.
28. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 337.

The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.





Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Philip Jackson


Lieutenant Philip Jackson (b. 24 September 1802, Durham, England–d. 1879) was an officer in the Bengal Regiment Artillery, and served as Assistant Engineer, Executive Officer and Surveyor of Public Lands in colonial Singapore. An accomplished surveyor and draughtsman, Jackson produced a number of important maps, including one of the earliest...

Strait of Johor


The Strait of Johor is situated north of Singapore, between mainland peninsular Malaysia and Singapore. The Territorial Waters Agreement of 1927 specified an imaginary line in the Johor Strait as an international boundary, following which a new boundary line was drawn in 1994 to help resolve future border disputes. There...

Banda Street


Banda Street is a one-way road in Chinatown connecting Sago Street to Dickenson Hill Road. It was probably named after the Indonesian cities of Banda Aceh (Aceh) in Sumatra or Banda Besar in Molucca Islands. ...

Whiteaway Laidlaw


Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900. Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before...

South Bridge Road


South Bridge Road is located in Outram, near the Singapore River in Singapore’s central region. One of the thriving centres of the city in the heart of Chinatown, South Bridge Road was historically an important street. It was one of the main thoroughfares linking the town and New Harbour (Keppel...

Newton Circus


The 22.3-hectare Newton Circus is one of the six subzones in the Newton planning area, a prime residential district located near Orchard Road in central Singapore. Home to some very exclusive old houses and high-rise residential developments, such as Newton One and Park Infinia, Newton Circus is also well known...

Malacca Street


Built before 1836, Malacca Street, which connects D’Almeida Street to Market Street, is one of the older streets of Singapore. ...

Singapore Institution Library (1837–1844)


The Singapore Institution Library grew from a vision, by Sir Stamford Raffles, for an educated Singapore. Upon the founding of Singapore, one of Raffles’s early initiatives was the setting up of an institution of learning and along with it, the means to collect and preserve the treasures of the region....

Havelock Road


Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, goes down along and almost parallel to the Singapore River, and stretches until Eu Tong Sen Street before it opens into Upper Pickering Street. Havelock Road was named by...

Spring Street


Spring Street, a one-way road in Chinatown, connects the junction of South Bridge Road and Neil Road to Banda Street. A water source used to be located here from which water was drawn and transported by bullock carts to different parts of Chinatown. ...