Spring Street

Singapore Infopedia


Spring Street, a one-way road in Chinatown, connects the junction of South Bridge Road and Neil Road to Banda Street.1 A water source used to be located here from which water was drawn and transported by bullock carts to different parts of Chinatown.2

Spring Street got its name from a spring that used to be found there. Water from the spring flowed into a well; once drawn, the water was loaded onto bullock carts and transported to different areas in Chinatown.3

Spring Street is located near Smith Street, Sago Street and Sago Lane. The latter three streets were red-light districts in the early 20th century.4 Spring Street, being next to Sago Lane and the last of those three streets, was also known as fan tsai mei in Cantonese, meaning “end of the foreign brothels”.5 However, Spring Street was also dotted with a few Japanese brothels.6 Spring Street is bustling during Chinese New Year7 and food festivals. Activities such as busking and arts performances can sometimes be found on empty plots of land near Spring Street.8

Variant names
Cantonese: Fan tsai mei, meaning the “end of the foreign brothels”.9
Fan tsai mei ma ta liu pin, meaning “end of the foreign brothels beside the police station”,10 refers to Pearl’s Hill Police Station, which was located towards the end of Sago Lane and Spring Street, near Banda Street.11


Naidu Ratnala Thulaja

1. Mighty Minds Street Directory (Singapore: Angel Publishing Pte Ltd., 2015), map 132D. (Call no. RSING 912.5957 MMSD)
2. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 286. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
3. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 178, 286; Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 355. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
4. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown: An Album of a Singapore Community (Singapore: Times Books International, 1983), 101 (Call no. RSING 779.995957 CHI); Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 330, 352.
5. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown, 110; H. W. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay Peninsula,” Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 130–1. (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 JMBRAS)
6. Lisa Kong, “Comfort in History,” Straits Times, 23 July 1992, 3. Retrieved from NewspaperSG.
7. “Road Closure in Chinatown,” Straits Times, 10 January 2003, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
8. “Busking in the Limelight This New Year,” Straits Times, 19 December 1999, 32. (From NewspaperSG)
9. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown, 110–19; Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places,” 130–1.
10. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 355.
11. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places,” 130–1.

The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we can ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic. 

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Collyer Quay


Collyer Quay is a street and seawall located in the Downtown Core of Singapore’s central region. Built by convict labour, Collyer Quay stretches from the junction of Fullerton Road and Battery Road to the junction of D’Almeida Street. It served as an important landing point for the unloading and storage...

Magazine Road


Magazine Road connects Havelock Road and Merchant Road. The road probably got its name due to its association with the old ammunition storage ground of Havelock Road....

Dunearn Road


Dunearn Road starts at the junction of Clementi Road and Jalan Anak Bukit. The road runs parallel to Bukit Timah Road, with a canal separating the two long stretches of roads. Near Adam Road, the road divides to form the Dunearn underpass and the Farrer flyover. Towards the end, Dunearn...

Kim Seng Road


Kim Seng Road was named after Peranakan philanthropist Tan Kim Seng. ...

Ophir Road


Ophir Road begins as an offshoot from Rochor Canal Road, and ends at Republic Boulevard at one point and East Coast Parkway at another point. It runs parallel to Rochor Road. Landmarks along the road include Raffles Hospital and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. ...

Whiteaway Laidlaw


Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900. Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before...

Kampong Java Road


Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus. ...

Kranji Road


Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Johnston's Pier


Johnston’s Pier was a jetty that once stood along Collyer Quay, opposite Fullerton Square and the Hong Kong Bank Building on Battery Road. Built to facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, it was completed on 13 March 1856. In its time, many famous dignitaries – including British royalty and...

Havelock Road


Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, goes down along and almost parallel to the Singapore River, and stretches until Eu Tong Sen Street before it opens into Upper Pickering Street. Havelock Road was named by...