Banda Street

Singapore Infopedia


Banda Street is a one-way road in Chinatown connecting Sago Street to Dickenson Hill Road.1 It was probably named after the Indonesian cities of Banda Aceh (Aceh) in Sumatra or Banda Besar in Molucca Islands.

Banda Street existed atop a small hill known as Bukit Pasoh. Bukit Pasoh was formerly named Dickinson Hill or Dickenson Hill after Reverend J.T. Dickenson who ran a missionary school there. The hill was later rechristened as Bukit Padre and subsequently to Bukit Pasoh.3

In the early 20th century, the nutmeg tree-covered hill was converted into a park by the Municipal Authority. Though the park was appreciated and well used by the residents of Chinatown, Banda Street along with neighbouring Spring Street had a notorious reputation as many Japanese prostitutes had operated from the area during the pre-war era.4

Banda Street was also well known for its late night hawkers, who mainly earned their keep selling food to late night mourners visiting Sago Lane’s death houses,5 and at the Jinrikisha depots situated around the street. The Kreta Ayer Community Centre was built in 1960 in the vicinity of Banda Street, and was originally known as Banda Street Community Centre.6

Variant names
Chinese names:
Cantonese: Fan-tsai mei (also spelt phan tsai mei), meaning “end of the foreign brothels”. The “foreign” brothels here either refer to the non-Chinese or “foreign” Japanese prostitutes or to the “foreign” customers they catered to.7 While Japanese prostitutes catered to customers of all races, Chinese ones limited themselves to Chinese customers.8 Yap poon kai, meaning “Japanese Street”, was a reference to the Japanese prostitutes on the street.9


Naidu Ratnala Thulaja & Sharen Chua

1. Mighty Minds Street Directory (Singapore: Angel Publishing Pte Ltd, 2015), map 132.  (Call no.: RSING q912.5957 MMSD)
2. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who's Who Publications, 2000), 14. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
3. Charles Burton Buckley, An Anecdotal History of Old Times in Singapore: 1819–1867 (Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1984), 346 (Call no. RSING 959.57 BUC-[HIS]); Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A, Yeoh, Singapore Street Names : A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 29, 55, 103. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
4. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 29.
5. Chan Kwee Sung, “No Love Lost for the Old "Street of the Dead',” Straits Times, 13 March 1999, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
6. Archives and Oral History Department Singapore, Chinatown: An Album of a Singapore Community (Singapore: Times Books International, 1983), 112, 118. (Call no. RSING 779.995957 CHI)
7. Archives and Oral History Department Singapore, Chinatown, 110; H. W. Firmstone, Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay Peninsula,” Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 60–61. (Call no. RQUIK 959.59 JMBRAS)
8. Lisa Kong, “Comfort in History,” Straits Times, 23 July 1992, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
9. Kong, Comfort in History.”

Further resource
Chan Kwee Sung, “Of Snails, Speeches and Dead Traitors,” Straits Times, 29 October 2001, 6. (From NewspaperSG)

The information in this article is valid as at 23 September 2016 and correct as far as we can ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Collyer Quay


Collyer Quay is a street and seawall located in the Downtown Core of Singapore’s central region. Built by convict labour, Collyer Quay stretches from the junction of Fullerton Road and Battery Road to the junction of D’Almeida Street. It served as an important landing point for the unloading and storage...

Magazine Road


Magazine Road connects Havelock Road and Merchant Road. The road probably got its name due to its association with the old ammunition storage ground of Havelock Road....

Kim Seng Road


Kim Seng Road was named after Peranakan philanthropist Tan Kim Seng. ...

Dunearn Road


Dunearn Road starts at the junction of Clementi Road and Jalan Anak Bukit. The road runs parallel to Bukit Timah Road, with a canal separating the two long stretches of roads. Near Adam Road, the road divides to form the Dunearn underpass and the Farrer flyover. Towards the end, Dunearn...

Johnston's Pier


Johnston’s Pier was a jetty that once stood along Collyer Quay, opposite Fullerton Square and the Hong Kong Bank Building on Battery Road. Built to facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, it was completed on 13 March 1856. In its time, many famous dignitaries – including British royalty and...

Kranji Road


Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Kampong Java Road


Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus. ...

Ophir Road


Ophir Road begins as an offshoot from Rochor Canal Road, and ends at Republic Boulevard at one point and East Coast Parkway at another point. It runs parallel to Rochor Road. Landmarks along the road include Raffles Hospital and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. ...

Whiteaway Laidlaw


Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900. Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before...

Havelock Road


Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, goes down along and almost parallel to the Singapore River, and stretches until Eu Tong Sen Street before it opens into Upper Pickering Street. Havelock Road was named by...