Sago Street



Singapore Infopedia

by Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala

Background

Sago Street is a one-way road that connects South Bridge Road to Trengganu Street. The street name was derived from the many sago factories that were located there in the 1840s.1

Description
Making sago flour from sago, a starchy ingredient used in making delicacies, was a profitable business in 19th-century Singapore. So profitable was the business that in the 1850s, nearly 30 sago factories were operating in Singapore, producing 8,000 tonnes of sago flour annually. Sago was also exported to India and Europe from Singapore then. Most of these sago factories were located around Sago Street, including the adjacent Sago Lane. However, the street gained infamy for the brothels that sprang up there in the early 20th century.2 In 1901, there were about 14 prostitute dens on Sago Street.3


One of the landmarks on Sago Street was the Chinese Tua Pek Kong temple. Constructed in 1895, the temple was dedicated to the deity, Tua Pek Kong.4

Variant names
Gu-chhia-chui hi-hng-koi cheng koi in Hokkien and ngau-chhe-shui hei yun chhin kai in Cantonese, both of which mean “the street in front of the theatre (street) in Kreta Ayer”. Smith Street was known as Theatre Street due to the presence of a famous theatre, Lai Chun Yuen.5



Author

Naidu Ratnala Thulaja



References
1. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 337. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
2. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 337; Lisa Kong, “Comfort in History,” Straits Times, 23 July 1992, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
3. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 337.
4. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown: An Album of a Singapore Community (Singapore: Times Books International, 1983), 100 (Call no. RSING 779.995957 CHI); Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 337.
5. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 485, 487 (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA]); H. W. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay Peninsula,” Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 126–7. (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 JMBRAS)



The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far we can ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.






Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Collyer Quay

ARTICLE

Collyer Quay is a street and seawall located in the Downtown Core of Singapore’s central region. Built by convict labour, Collyer Quay stretches from the junction of Fullerton Road and Battery Road to the junction of D’Almeida Street. It served as an important landing point for the unloading and storage...

Magazine Road

ARTICLE

Magazine Road connects Havelock Road and Merchant Road. The road probably got its name due to its association with the old ammunition storage ground of Havelock Road....

Havelock Road

ARTICLE

Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, goes down along and almost parallel to the Singapore River, and stretches until Eu Tong Sen Street before it opens into Upper Pickering Street. Havelock Road was named by...

Kim Seng Road

ARTICLE

Kim Seng Road was named after Peranakan philanthropist Tan Kim Seng. ...

Dunearn Road

ARTICLE

Dunearn Road starts at the junction of Clementi Road and Jalan Anak Bukit. The road runs parallel to Bukit Timah Road, with a canal separating the two long stretches of roads. Near Adam Road, the road divides to form the Dunearn underpass and the Farrer flyover. Towards the end, Dunearn...

Johnston's Pier

ARTICLE

Johnston’s Pier was a jetty that once stood along Collyer Quay, opposite Fullerton Square and the Hong Kong Bank Building on Battery Road. Built to facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, it was completed on 13 March 1856. In its time, many famous dignitaries – including British royalty and...

Kranji Road

ARTICLE

Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Kampong Java Road

ARTICLE

Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus. ...

Ophir Road

ARTICLE

Ophir Road begins as an offshoot from Rochor Canal Road, and ends at Republic Boulevard at one point and East Coast Parkway at another point. It runs parallel to Rochor Road. Landmarks along the road include Raffles Hospital and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. ...

Whiteaway Laidlaw

ARTICLE

Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900. Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before...