Whiteaway Laidlaw

Singapore Infopedia

by Chia, Joshua Yeong Jia


Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900.1 Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before moving into its own building on Battery Road.Whiteaway’s building was occupied by a Japanese retailer during the Japanese Occupation of Singapore (1942–45). It resumed business thereafter until 1962, when Maybank took over the building.3 The site is currently occupied by Maybank Tower.

Early history
Born on 15 January 1856, Laidlaw’s early career was in the wholesale textile trade in London. He went to India in 1877 and resided in Calcutta for about 20 years. He also travelled extensively in Asia, Africa and America, and was made a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.4

Laidlaw established Whiteaway, Laidlaw & Co. in Calcutta in 1882.5 Soon, Whiteaway opened branches in about 20 cities in India and the Straits Settlements, as well as Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh, Taiping, Seremban, Klang and Telok Anson. Whiteaway was as much into tailoring as it was into importing and selling household goods.6 Besides operating Whiteaway, Laidlaw was also a proprietor of tea estates in Darjeeling and rubber estates in the Federated Malay States.7

Whiteaway’s store in Singapore opened in 1900 on D’Almeida Street, selling household goods, shoes and crockery.8 At the time, John Little and Robinsons were the other two department stores in Singapore that offered luxury items and catered to the well-heeled.9

Completed in 1904, architects from Swan and MacLaren designed the Oranje Building (renamed Stamford House in 1963), with Whiteaway and Seth Paul’s requirements in mind as they were to be the building’s main tenants. Whiteaway operated from the building until 1915.10

In 1910, Whiteaway acquired the land occupied by Flint’s Building before it burnt down. The land had belonged to the Flint family – William Flint was Singapore’s first master attendant and Stamford Raffles’s brother-in-law. Whiteaway constructed the Whiteaway Laidlaw Building on the site, which became its signature department store in Singapore. Located on Battery Road, the four-storey building was constructed with vaulted concrete slabs spanning steel girders with corrugated iron permanent shuttering.11

Japanese Occupation
During the Japanese Occupation of Singapore, Whiteaway’s building on Battery Road was taken over by the Japanese army, and the military administration permitted three large department stores – Daimaru, Matsuzakaya and Shirakiya (later renamed Tokyu Department Store) – to commence retail businesses in the former premises of John Little, Robinsons and Whiteaway respectively. The department stores were also ordered to run dormitories for Japanese soldiers and supply military goods to the army.12 The stores aimed to attract primarily the Japanese. For example, they displayed Japanese soap rather than English smelling salt.13

In 1962, Maybank took over Whiteaway’s building and renamed it Malayan Bank Chambers.14 The building was demolished in 1998 to make way for the present 32-storey Maybank Tower.15


Joshua Chia Yeong Jia

1. Walter Makepeace, Gilbert E. Brooke and Roland St. J. Braddell, One Hundred Years of Singapore, vol. 1 (Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1991), 234. (Call no. RSING 959.57 ONE-[HIS])
2. Margaret Shennan, Out in the Midday Sun: The British in Malaya, 1880–1960 (London: John Murray, 2000), 55. (Call no. RSING 959.500421 SHE)
3. Ray Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 11. (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS])
4. “Obituary,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser, 5 November 1915, 5. (From NewspaperSG)
5. “Page 2 Advertisements Column 1,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser, 10 June 1908, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
6. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 116.
7. “Sir Robert Laidlaw,” Malaya Tribune, 15 December 1915, 14. (From NewspaperSG)
8. Shennan, Out in the Midday Sun, 55.
9. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 128.
10. “Singapore Improvements,” Straits Times, 4 April 1905, 3; “Death of Mr. Seth Paul,” Straits Times, 25 August 1921, 9 (From NewspaperSG); Dhoraisingam S. Samuely, Singapore’s Heritage: Through Places of Historic Interest ( Singapore: Elixir Consultancy Service, 1991), 229 (Call no. RSING 959.57 SAM-[HIS]);
Whiteaway’s,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 31 May 1915, 10; “Untitled,” Straits Times, 1 May 1915, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
11. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 11.
12. Hiroshi Shimizu, Isetan Department Store in Singapore since the Early 1970s (Japan: Faculty of Studies on Contemporary Society, Aichi Shukutoku University, 1999), 32–33. (Call no. RSING 658.871095957 SHI)
13. Nilanjana Sengupta, Singapore, My Country: Biography of M. Bala Subramanion (Singapore: WS Professional, 2016), 82. (Call no. RSING 383.492 SEN)
14. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 11.
15. “SingLand Is Project Manager for Maybank's HQ Redevelopment,” Straits Times, 5 February 1998, 45. (From NewspaperSG)

Further resource
Edna Koh, “Back to the Future,” Straits Times, 31 August 2001, 24. (From NewspaperSG)

The information in this article is valid as at May 2020 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Read Bridge


Read Bridge is a beam structured bridge that straddles the central part of the Singapore River. The bridge was officially opened by then Governor Cecil Clementi Smith on 18 April 1889....

Banda Street


Banda Street is a one-way road in Chinatown connecting Sago Street to Dickenson Hill Road. It was probably named after the Indonesian cities of Banda Aceh (Aceh) in Sumatra or Banda Besar in Molucca Islands. ...

Neil Road


Neil Road in Chinatown is a one-way road that begins at South Bridge Road and ends at two points – one leads into Kampong Bahru Road and the other to the junction of New Bridge Road and Eu Tong Sen Street. Originally known as Silat, Selat or Salat Road, it...

Pickering Street


Pickering Street is located in the Downtown Core, within the Central Region. It was named after William Alexander Pickering, the first Protector of the Chinese, and head of the Chinese Protectorate. He was popular amongst the Chinese population for his ability to speak four Chinese dialects plus Mandarin. Pickering Street...

Malacca Street


Built before 1836, Malacca Street, which connects D’Almeida Street to Market Street, is one of the older streets of Singapore. ...

James Richardson Logan


James Richardson Logan (b. 10 April 1819, Berwickshire, Scotland–d. 20 October 1869, Penang, Malaya) was the founder and editor of the Journal of the Indian Archipelago and Eastern Asia (JIAEA). He was also among those who advocated freedom from Indian rule, which resulted in the historic transfer of the Straits...

Spring Street


Spring Street, a one-way road in Chinatown, connects the junction of South Bridge Road and Neil Road to Banda Street. A water source used to be located here from which water was drawn and transported by bullock carts to different parts of Chinatown. ...

Chin Chew Street


Chin Chew Street, in Chinatown, connects South Bridge Road and China Street. An Indian residential area in the 1820s, it later became synonymous with the samsui women who made this street their home in the early 20th century. ...

Kampong Java Road


Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus. ...

Strait of Johor


The Strait of Johor is situated north of Singapore, between mainland peninsular Malaysia and Singapore. The Territorial Waters Agreement of 1927 specified an imaginary line in the Johor Strait as an international boundary, following which a new boundary line was drawn in 1994 to help resolve future border disputes. There...