Sago Lane



Singapore Infopedia

by Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala

Background

Sago Lane is a one-way road in Chinatown connecting South Bridge Road to Banda Street.1 It was named for the many sago factories that were located there in the 1840s.2 Sago Lane was also known for the Chinese “death houses”.3

Description
Running parallel to Sago Street,4 much of Sago Lane’s history is similar to that of Sago Street. From a prosperous sago flour manufacturing centre in the mid-19th century, it evolved into an area rife with prostitution in the early 20th century.5 The most defining feature of Sago Lane, however, was its Chinese death houses.6


People believed to be living the last days of their lives would go to death houses to spend their last days. Typically, a death house consisted of a living space on the first level and a funeral parlour below.7 A common Chinese belief is that one can bring one’s belongings to the next world upon dying. Hence fake paper money and paper models of various items, such as a house or a car, are burnt during funerals to effect that transition. The whole stretch of Sago Lane were lined with shops that sold paraphernalia used in funerals, including paper models, clothes, flowers, appliances and other possessions considered valuable to the deceased.8 As Chinese funerals are extended affairs that continued through days and nights, many foods stalls were found on Sago Lane and Banda Street catering to night visitors and mourners.9 Death houses were banned in 1961.10

The construction of Kreta Ayer Complex, also called Chinatown Complex,11 in the early 1970s resulted in part of Sago Lane being expunged.12

Variant names
Ho-ban-ni au koi in Cantonese and bo ba ni au boi in Hokkien, both of which mean “the street behind Ho-man-nin”. “Ho-man-nin” was the chop or seal of a popular singing hall on Sago Street.13
Sayyun kai (“street of the dead”): a reference to the death houses that lined the street.14



Author
Naidu Ratnala Thulaja



References

1. Mighty Minds Street Directory (Singapore: Angel Publishing Pte Ltd., 2014), map 132. (Call no. RSING 912.5957 MMSD)
2. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 337. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
3. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 269 (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS]); Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 330–1; Ray Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 192. (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS])
4. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown: An Album of a Singapore Community (Singapore: Times Books International, 1983), 100–1. (Call no. RSING 779.995957 CHI)
5. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 337.
6. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 269; Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 330–1; Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 192.
7. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 337.
8. Chan Kwee Sung, “Paper Chase in Afterlife,” Straits Times, 15 October 2001, 5 (From NewspaperSG); Geraldene Lowe-Ismail, Memories of Chinatown (Singapore: Tailsman Publishing, 2016), 24–26 (Call no. RSING 959.57 LOW-[HIS]); Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 192.
9. Chan Kwee Sung, “No Love Lost for the Old ‘Street of the Dead’,” Straits Times, 13 March 1999, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
10. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 337.
11. Kreta Ayer Complex, Elderly Ladies: Group Photograph, 12 May 1985, photograph, Lee Kip Lin Collection, National Library Board. 
12. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown, 104.
13. Victor R. Savage, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics4th ed. (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 443 (Call no. RQUIK 915.9570014 SAV); H. W. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay Peninsula,” Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 126–7. (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 JMBRAS)
14. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 269; Chan Kwee Sung, “No Love Lost for the Old ‘Street of the Dead’,”



The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we can ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Collyer Quay

ARTICLE

Collyer Quay is a street and seawall located in the Downtown Core of Singapore’s central region. Built by convict labour, Collyer Quay stretches from the junction of Fullerton Road and Battery Road to the junction of D’Almeida Street. It served as an important landing point for the unloading and storage...

Magazine Road

ARTICLE

Magazine Road connects Havelock Road and Merchant Road. The road probably got its name due to its association with the old ammunition storage ground of Havelock Road....

Havelock Road

ARTICLE

Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, goes down along and almost parallel to the Singapore River, and stretches until Eu Tong Sen Street before it opens into Upper Pickering Street. Havelock Road was named by...

Kim Seng Road

ARTICLE

Kim Seng Road was named after Peranakan philanthropist Tan Kim Seng. ...

Dunearn Road

ARTICLE

Dunearn Road starts at the junction of Clementi Road and Jalan Anak Bukit. The road runs parallel to Bukit Timah Road, with a canal separating the two long stretches of roads. Near Adam Road, the road divides to form the Dunearn underpass and the Farrer flyover. Towards the end, Dunearn...

Johnston's Pier

ARTICLE

Johnston’s Pier was a jetty that once stood along Collyer Quay, opposite Fullerton Square and the Hong Kong Bank Building on Battery Road. Built to facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, it was completed on 13 March 1856. In its time, many famous dignitaries – including British royalty and...

Kranji Road

ARTICLE

Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Kampong Java Road

ARTICLE

Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus. ...

Ophir Road

ARTICLE

Ophir Road begins as an offshoot from Rochor Canal Road, and ends at Republic Boulevard at one point and East Coast Parkway at another point. It runs parallel to Rochor Road. Landmarks along the road include Raffles Hospital and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. ...

Whiteaway Laidlaw

ARTICLE

Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900. Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before...