Bencoolen Street



Singapore Infopedia

by Cornelius, Vernon

Background

Bengkulu, on the coast of West Sumatra, was renamed Bencoolen by the British in 1685.1

When Sir Stamford Raffles came to Singapore in 1819, a number of Bencoolen Malays accompanied him and settled in the vicinity of what is now Bencoolen Street.2 Bencoolen Street was named in remembrance of Raffles’s sojourn in Bencoolen (of Sumatra) as Lieutenant-General. The street also took its name from Kampong Bencoolen (also spelled as Campong Bencoolen), in which it was located. The old kampong spanned Bencoolen Street, Waterloo Street, Prinsep Street, Middle Road and Albert Street.3

When the British and Dutch Treaty of 1824 gave Bencoolen to Holland, more Bencoolen Malays arrived in Singapore. Most of the oldest Malays in Singapore, and some Eurasian families had descended from these Bencoolen settlers.4 In 1825, more than 900 Indian convicts were transferred to Singapore from Bencoolen, and were housed in temporary wooden attap huts in Kampong Bencoolen where the Temenggong and his followers resided, off what is now Empress Place.

Historic landmarks around Bencoolen Street

Bengkali Mosque or Masjid Bencoolen
The Bencoolen Muslims built the original attap Bengkali Mosque, or Masjid Bencoolen, between 1825 and 1828. This mosque was replaced in 1845 by a permanent version built by an Arab merchant, Syed Omar bin Aljunied. This version stands to this day.6


Bencoolen Street Bridge
The Bencoolen Street Bridge was completed in 1885. It spans Rochor Canal and joins Bencoolen Street and Jalan Besar. The bridge was designed by James MacRitchie, the municipal engineer who also supervised its construction.7 It was believed to be the first bridge in Singapore to have iron cylinder foundations.8 The cost of building of this bridge was borne by Syed Ali, father of Syed Alwee bin Ali Aljunid. Syed Alwee’s grandfather (Syed Omar) was the one who built the Masjid Bencoolen.9


Variant names
Chinese names:
In Hokkien, Chhai-tng au and in Cantonese, Chai-thong hau means “behind the vegetarians’ hall”, as there was a Chinese vegetarian guild meeting house located along the street.10

In Hokkien, Mang-ku-lu toa lo means “Bencoolen big street”.

In Cantonese, Mong-kwo-lo means “Bencoolen”.11



Author

Vernon Cornelius



References
1. Iem Brown, ed., The Territories of Indonesia (London: Routledge, 2009), 260. (Not available in NLB’s holdings); “Traces of British Colonization in Bengkulu,” Jakarta Post, 4 July 2014.  
2. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 36. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
3. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 36.
4. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 36.
5. Ray Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 74 (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS]); Norman Edwards and Keys Peter, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 283. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
6. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 270; Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 36.
7. “The MacRitchie Memorial Panel,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 1 April 1896, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
8. “Bencoolen Street Bridge,” Straits Times, 23 June 1885, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
9. “The Late Syed Alwee,” Singapore Free Press, 10 April 1926, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
10. H. W. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay Peninsula,” Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 64 (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 JMBRAS); Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 36.
11. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places,” 64.



The information in this article is valid as at 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

 

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Sailors' Home

ARTICLE

The Sailors’ Home in Singapore was a seamen’s lodging from the mid-19th to early 20th centuries. It became well known because novelist Joseph Conrad described his stay there in his novels, The Shadow-Line, The End of the Tether and Lord Jim. The home was established on High Street in 1851....

Kim Seng Road

ARTICLE

Kim Seng Road was named after Peranakan philanthropist Tan Kim Seng. ...

Johnston's Pier

ARTICLE

Johnston’s Pier was a jetty that once stood along Collyer Quay, opposite Fullerton Square and the Hong Kong Bank Building on Battery Road. Built to facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, it was completed on 13 March 1856. In its time, many famous dignitaries – including British royalty and...

Kranji Road

ARTICLE

Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Ophir Road

ARTICLE

Ophir Road begins as an offshoot from Rochor Canal Road, and ends at Republic Boulevard at one point and East Coast Parkway at another point. It runs parallel to Rochor Road. Landmarks along the road include Raffles Hospital and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. ...

Chulia Street

ARTICLE

Chulia Street is located in the central region of Singapore, within the downtown core. Its former name, Kling Street, was regarded as derogatory, hence it was renamed Chulia Street on 1 January 1922, after the Chulias who migrated to Singapore from the Coromandel Coast of southern India. ...

Singapore Institution Library (1837–1844)

ARTICLE

The Singapore Institution Library grew from a vision, by Sir Stamford Raffles, for an educated Singapore. Upon the founding of Singapore, one of Raffles’s early initiatives was the setting up of an institution of learning and along with it, the means to collect and preserve the treasures of the region....

Chin Chew Street

ARTICLE

Chin Chew Street, in Chinatown, connects South Bridge Road and China Street. An Indian residential area in the 1820s, it later became synonymous with the samsui women who made this street their home in the early 20th century. ...

Land Transport Authority

ARTICLE

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is a statutory board under the Ministry of Transport in Singapore. First established in September 1995, it is responsible for planning, operating and maintaining Singapore’s land transport infrastructure and systems. ...

Dunlop Street

ARTICLE

Believed to be named after Colonel Samuel Dunlop, Dunlop Street in Little India is a one-way road connecting Jalan Besar to Serangoon Road. The most significant landmark along this street is the Abdul Gaffoor Mosque. ...