Jalan Besar

Singapore Infopedia


Officially named in the 1880s, “Jalan Besar” literally means “big or wide road” in Malay. The road began as a track through a betel nut and nipah plantation. It was subsequently developed into a major road, along which communities resided and worked. Jalan Besar has been gazetted as a conserved area to preserve and enhance its heritage character.1

Initially a betel nut and nipah orchard, the Jalan Besar area was bought over by brothers Richard Owen Norris and George Norris, sons of an East India Company army officer. They paid 113 rupees to the East India Company for the land in the 1830s. Upon their acquisition of the land, the brothers added mangosteens and other fruit trees to the orchard.2 The road was partially completed by 1836, but the area around it remained swampy for some time after.3

During the 1880s, the municipality built a road through the plantation and named it Jalan Besar. A decade later, this road was widened to enable smooth traffic for carriages and bullock carts. The remaining land was sold as building lots, marking the first phase of urban development plans. The residents around Jalan Besar were a colourful mix from various communities including Indians, Chinese, Peranakans (Straits Chinese), Boyanese, Europeans, Eurasians and Malays.4

The shophouses and other buildings that used to lined this street had architectural characteristics typical of the late 19th-century and early 20th-century architecture. The colours that dominated the buildings were favourites with the general Malay and Straits Chinese population predominant in the area. The soft pastel shades of pink, blue, yellowish-beige and green were considered pleasant and harmonious colours.5 Many of these buildings lasted several decades until the development of the Housing and Development Board flats in the area resulted in their demolition. The remaining shophouses, however, continue to give this street an old world charm.6

Singapore’s first refuse incinerator was built at Jalan Besar in 1889. Famous former landmarks included New World Park, which was established in 1923, and Grand Theatre, which was housed within the amusement park and opened in 1958.7 The Jalan Besar Stadium, opened in 1929,8 was the main football arena before the National Stadium was built in 1973.9


Renuka M.

1. “Conservation: Jalan Besar,” Urban Redevelopment Authority, accessed 26 September 2016.
2. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 117–8. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
3. Rohaini Saini, “Stroll Open Windows to S’pore’s Colourful Past,” Straits Times, 9 February 1990, 29. (From NewspaperSG)
4. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 137. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
5. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 142–3.
6. Urban Redevelopment Authority, “Conservation: Jalan Besar.”
7. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, xx; “New Cinema,” Straits Times, 25 December 1958, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
8. “Football: Opening of Jalan Besar Stadium,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 27 December 1929, 20. (From NewspaperSG)
9. “Jalan Besar Satdium to Have Facelift,” Straits Times, 31 July 1997, 42; Lee Kuan Yew, “The Official Opening of the National Stadium,” speech, 21 July 1973, transcript, Ministry of Culture. (From National Archives of Singapore document no.  lky19730721)

Further resources
Jalan Besar Town Council, Jalan Besar Town Council News (1990). (Call no. RSING 307.095957 JBTCN)

S. Ramachandra, “When Jalan Besar Was a Swamp,” Straits Times, 6 July 1950, 8. (From NewspaperSG)

Urban Redevelopment Authority (Singapore), Conservation Guidelines: Our Heritage Is in Our Hands (Singapore: Urban Redevelopment Authority, 1995). (Call no. RSING 363.69095957 CON)

Urban Redevelopment Authority (Singapore), Secondary Settlements: Conservation Guidelines for Jalan Besar Conservation Area (Singapore: Urban Redevelopment Authority, 1991). (Call no. RCLOS 363.69095957 SEC)

The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Abraham Solomon


Abraham Solomon (b. 1798?, Baghdad - d. 19 May 1884, Singapore) was a successful merchant and one of the earliest Jewish settlers in Singapore. He was a prominent leader in the Jewish community. Solomon Street, located in Boat Quay, was named after him....

Pasir Ris


Pasir Ris is located in the eastern region of Singapore, and is bounded by Sungei Serangoon, Tampines Expressway, Upper Changi Road North and the Serangoon Harbour. It was originally a low-lying, undeveloped area with kampongs and villages. The beach was a popular venue for water skiing in the 1950s. Today,...

Mosquito bus


The so-called “mosquito bus” is a small, seven-seater motor bus commonly seen on Singapore roads in the 1920s and 1930s. Following a raft of regulations implemented in the 1930s, mosquito buses were gradually phased out....

Yishun New Town


Yishun New Town is bounded by Sungei Simpang Kiri to the north, the proposed Admiralty Road East Extension to the east, Seletar Expressway to the south and Sembawang Road to the west. The town is named after Lim Nee Soon, a prominent businessman in colonial Singapore. The Yishun planning area...

East Coast Parkway


The East Coast Parkway (ECP) is a 19-kilometre expressway built on reclaimed land along the southeastern coast of Singapore. Completed in 1981, it connects the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE) at Shenton Way in the Central Business District to Singapore Changi Airport in the east. ...

Alkaff Mansion


Alkaff Mansion is a 19th century colonial bungalow located on a hill at 10 Telok Blangah Green. Built in 1918 by a member of the prominent Alkaff family as a weekend house, it became known for hosting high society parties in the 1930s. The mansion once served as...

Clementi New Town


Situated in the southwestern part of mainland Singapore, Clementi New Town takes its name from Clementi Road, which also marks the town’s eastern boundary. The town’s landmarks include the five-storey Clementi Mall which was officially opened in May 2011, the 12-hectare Clementi Woods Park and the Clementi Stadium. ...

Central Expressway


The Central Expressway (CTE) links the city to districts in the north of Singapore such as Toa Payoh, Bishan and Ang Mo Kio. To its north is the Seletar Expressway and to its south, the Ayer Rajah Expressway. Opened in 1991, parts of the CTE are underground, forming the first...

Dempsey Road


Dempsey Road, also known as Dempsey Hill or Tanglin Village, is located across from the Singapore Botanic Gardens, near the Embassy of the United States. It was originally the site of a nutmeg plantation that later became Tanglin Barracks for British troops. The site was also once the headquarters of...

Punggol reclamation


Punggol is situated in the northeast of Singapore, bordered by the Tampines Expressway, Sungei Punggol, Strait of Johor, Serangoon Harbour and Sungei Serangoon. The Punggol planning area as outlined by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) of Singapore also includes Coney Island (Pulau Serangoon). Under the Punggol 21 scheme, the old...