Clementi New Town

Singapore Infopedia


Situated in the southwestern part of mainland Singapore, Clementi New Town takes its name from Clementi Road, which also marks the town’s eastern boundary.1 The town’s landmarks include the five-storey Clementi Mall which was officially opened in May 2011,2 the 12-hectare Clementi Woods Park and the Clementi Stadium.3

Until the late 1940s, Clementi Road was known as Reformatory Road for the boys’ home situated along it.4 It has been suggested that Clementi Road was named after Cecil Clementi, governor of the Straits Settlements from 1929 to 1934. However, the road is generally believed to be named after his uncle, Cecil Clementi Smith, governor of the Straits Settlements from 1887 to 1893.5

Clementi New Town is the eighth new town developed by the Housing and Development Board (HDB). The development took place primarily between 1975 and 1979. While private residential estates such as the Clementi Housing Estate were retained, the HDB resettled more than 800 villagers to make way for the new town. In addition, swamps where the town now borders West Coast Park were reclaimed using earth taken from the town’s northern hills.6

Like HDB’s other new town projects, Clementi New Town was designed to be self-sufficient. Spaces were planned for a town centre, neighbourhood centres, transport nodes, schools and recreational facilities to serve the residents’ diverse needs.7

The 408-hectare Clementi New Town has both private and public housing. As at 2010, public housing in the new town totalled 23,871 units and housed 74,500 Singapore citizens and permanent residents.8 Besides Clementi Road, two other arterial roads serve the town. They are the Ayer Rajah Expressway, which runs through the heart of Clementi, and the West Coast Highway, which marks the town’s southwestern boundary.9

Major public amenities in Clementi include Clementi Stadium, Clementi Swimming Complex, Clementi Community Club and Clementi Woods Park. There are also several schools in the area, such as the NUS High School of Mathematics and Science (affiliated to the National University of Singapore, or NUS),10 Nan Hua High School, Clementi Primary School and the Japanese Supplementary School. Although the NUS, Ngee Ann Polytechnic and Singapore Polytechnic are often associated with Clementi, these institutions lie just outside of the town’s boundary.11

The town centre, bounded by Commonwealth Avenue West and Clementi Avenue 3, occupies a central location in Clementi. Serving the entire town population, the town centre offers a wide range of amenities including a polyclinic, library, market-cum-food centre, eating places, retail shops and cinemas.12 From the town centre, residents are connected to the rest of Singapore via the bus interchange and the Clementi Mass Rapid Transit Station.13


Valerie Chew

1. Land Transport Authority, One Map, accessed 11 April 2017.
2. Ng Huiwen, “Clementi’s First Full-Fledged Mall Officially Opens,” Straits Times, 22 May 2011, 18. (From NewspaperSG)
3. “Clementi Woods Park,” National Parks Board, accessed 11 April 2017.
4. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 309 (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA]); “Cracker Shops to Be Licensed,” Singapore Free Press, 22 August 1947, 5. (From NewspaperSG)
5. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 55–56 (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS]); “Colony’s New Governor,” Straits Times, 21 November 1929, 11; “Sir Cecil Clementi Resigns the Governorship,” Straits Times, 15 June 1934, 11. (From NewspaperSG)
6. Housing and Development Board, Singapore, Annual Report 74/75 (Singapore: Housing and Development Board, 1976), 56–58, 141. (Call no. RCLOS 711.4095957 SIN-[AR])
7. Housing and Development Board, Singapore, Annual Report 74/75, 56–58.
8. Housing and Development Board, Singapore, Annual Report 2009/2010: Key Statistics (Singapore: Housing and Development Board, 2010), 7–8. (Call no. RCLOS 711.4095957 SIN-[AR])
9. Land Transport Authority, OneMap.
10. “Homepage,” NUS High School of Mathematics and Science, accessed 18 April 11; Land Transport Aurhotiry, OneMap.
12. “Clementi Town Centre,” Our Home (October 1978), 4–5. (Call no. RSING 050 OH)
13. Land Transport Authority, OneMap.

The information in this article is valid as of 2011 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Stamford House


Stamford House, located at the junction of Stamford Road and Hill Street, is an ornate building designed in the Venetian Renaissance style favoured during the Victorian era. Built in 1904, it was designed by Swan and Maclaren architect R. A. J. Bidwell as a commercial entity. The building was better...

Elgin Bridge


Elgin Bridge spans the Singapore River and joins North Bridge Road to South Bridge Road. Built in 1862, the bridge was named after Lord James Bruce Elgin, the Governor-General of India (1862–1863) and eighth Earl of Elgin. The bridge functioned until January 1927, when it made way for the construction...

Gaston Dutronquoy


Gaston Dutronquoy was a prominent hotelier and entrepreneur in Singapore during the 1840s and early 1850s. He was also the island's first recorded resident photographer. A native of Jersey in the Channel Islands, off the coast of France, he first arrived in Singapore in March 1839, advertising himself as a...

Koon Seng Road


Koon Seng Road, a two-way road, begins at the junction of Pennefather Road and Joo Chiat Road and ends at the junction of Lorong J Telok Kurau and Still Road. Named in 1934 after Cheong Koon Seng, a businessman, this road is popular for some beautiful residences along it....

Karikal Lane


Karikal Lane refers to two short stretches of road, one off East Coast Road and the other branching off the first....

Bukit Batok


Bukit Batok is an estate located in the west of Singapore. Bukit Batok in English literally means “Coughing Hill”. It is bounded by Upper Bukit Timah Road, Old Jurong Road to the east; Pan Island Expressway to the south; Bukit Batok Road to the west and Chua Chu Kang Road...

Bukit Panjang


Located in the northwestern part of Singapore, Bukit Panjang is considered a planning area under the Urban Redevelopment Authority’s Master Plan 2014. It comprises seven subzones: Senja, Saujana, Fajar, Bangkit, Jelebu, Dairy Farm and Nature Reserve. The area is also known as Bukit Panjang New Town, a residential district bounded...

Fort Road


Fort Road, in the eastern part of Singapore connects Mountbatten Road to the East Coast Parkway, and connects to this expressway at the Tanjong Rhu Flyover. The road was named in the 1920s after the now demolished Fort Tanjong Katong. On the grounds of the fort presently stands Katong Park,...

Liang Seah Street


Liang Seah Street, located in the Civic District, links North Bridge Road with Beach Road. Built in the old European residential town during colonial times, it was named in 1927 after the well-known Teochew millionaire, Seah Liang Seah of Chin Choon and Chin Giap, a pineapple-canning venture. ...

Hotel van Wijk


Hotel van Wijk, one of the early Dutch hotels in Singapore, was established in the late 19th century. At the time, hotels were set up to cater to the needs of the growing overseas mercantile communities. Hotel van Wijk was located at the hotel belt along Stamford Road – at...