North Bridge Road

Singapore Infopedia


North Bridge Road is one of the earliest roads in Singapore. It runs through the downtown core and Rochor and Kallang areas in the central region.1 The road begins at Crawfurd Street and ends where Elgin Bridge crosses into South Bridge Road.2

North Bridge Road was carved out of the dense jungle, with the help of convict labourers under the direction of Lieutenant Henry Ralfe. Ralfe was a gunnery officer who accompanied Sir Stamford Raffles when the latter first arrived in Singapore.3

North Bridge Road had already existed by the time Lieutenant Philip Jackson’s 1823 Plan of the Town of Singapore was published in 1828. Jackson was engaged in road alignment works in Singapore from 1822 onwards and was instructed by Raffles, through William Farquhar, to develop North Bridge Road. When Jackson left the service in 1827, George Coleman took over the survey of the land in Singapore. He was appointed superintendent of public works and surveyor of lands in 1833, and headed the construction of North Bridge Road and South Bridge Road from 1833 to 1835.4

Back then, North Bridge Road ran from Arab Street to the Singapore River.5 It was extended beyond Arab Street in 1925, and thereafter began from Crawfurd Street by the Rochor River.6 North Bridge Road was Singapore’s main road then. 

There were previously five movie theatres on North Bridge Road, namely Theatre Royal and Diamond Theatre (both Indian cinemas), Jubilee Theatre, Odeon Cinema and Capitol Theatre.8 Of these, only the Capitol Theatre building still stands.9

Along North Bridge Road, there are still some very distinctive buildings, like Raffles Hotel, CHIJMES, the rear facade of Sultan Mosque and the front facades of Golden Landmark Building.10 Others include Blanco Court, Bras Basah Complex, Raffles City Complex, Capitol Building, Adelphi Building, Funan Centre,11 as well as Bugis Junction, Hotel Intercontinental Singapore, Odeon Tower, City Hall MRT station,12 Peninsula Plaza, Treasury Building, Parliament Complex, and High Street Centre.13

Variant Chinese names
In Hokkien14
Seoh Poh: meaning “small town”, in contrast with South Bridge Road which is Twa Poh or “big town”, because the south had more shops and was the location of Chinatown.
Seoh Poh Twa Beh Lor: meaning “main road of the small town”.
Chui-sien Mng: meaning “water-fairy gate”.
Sio-po Hue-chhia Lo: meaning “small town tramway”.
Lo-ma Pano-jiang Toa Be-chhia Lo: meaning Rumah panjang or “big horse-carriage road” (rumah panjang is derived from the Malay term for “long house”).
Chwi Sian Moi Hui Chia Lo: literally meaning “water-fairy door fire cart road”.

In Cantonese15
Kam-pong Taik Ma: meaning “kampong (Glam) big horse-carriage road”.


Vernon Cornelius-Takahama

1. Ray Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 43 (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS]); “URA Integrated Map System,” Urban Redevelopment Authority, accessed 19 June 2016.
2. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 504. (Call no. RSING 915.957
3. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 43.
4. National Library Board, Singapore and National Archives (Singapore), Visualising Space: Maps of Singapore and the Region: Collections from the National Library and National Archives of Singapore (Singapore: National Library Board, 2015), 88, 91 (Call no. RSING 911.5957 SIN); Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 49.
5. National Library Board, Singapore and National Archives (Singapore), Visualising Space, 91.
6. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 78; Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 504.
7. “Street Names of Singapore,” Goodwood Journal, 1st Qtr., (1978): 7. (Call no. RSING 052 GHCHJ)
8. “Theatre Royal,” Straits Times, 1 October 1934, 19; “Theatre Now Restored,” Straits Times, 20 January 1954, 8; Prabhavathi Nair, “New Life for Tamil Films,” Straits Times, 13 March 1992, 13; Teo Lian Huay, “Curtains to Come Down on Another Theatre,” Straits Times, 29 September 1978, 2; “Bigger and Better Cinemas on the Scene,” Straits Times, 9 October 1978, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
9. Hong Xinyi, “Capitol Theatre Slated for Redevelopment,” Straits Times, 3 April 2008, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
10. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 54, 78; Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 266, 275–6, 279–80 (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA]); Tong Suit Chee, “$55 Million Facelift for an Old Lady,” Business Times, 25 February 1988, 18; Mathew Yap, “Bugis St Stalls May Move into New Home,” Straits Times, 16 January 1985, 38. (From NewspaperSG)
11. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 266, 277–8, 369, 382.
12. “New Festival Village at Bugis Junction,” Straits Times, 9 January 1994, 5; Sangeeta Mulchand, “Bugis Junction Developers to Tap Banks for $450M,” Business Times, 3 June 1992, 4; Collin Tan, “UOL to Woo tenants for Odeon Towers Soon,” Business Times, 24 August 1991, 2; Rav Dhaliwal, “MRT Work Arrives at the Crossroads,” Straits Times, 5 May 1984, 14. (From NewspaperSG)
13. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 371; Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 50; “Contact Us,” Ministry of Finance, Singapore, accessed 2016; Lilian Ang, “Govt Unveils $80M New Parliament Complex to Be Completed By 1998,” Business Times, 30 November 1994, 2; “High Street Centre,” New Nation, 26 April 1975, 14. (From NewspaperSG)
14. “Street Names of Singapore,” 7; H. W. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay Peninsula,” Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 114–7 (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 JMBRAS); Mubin Sheppard, ed., Singapore 150 Years (Singapore: Times Books International, 1982), 215. (Call no. RSING 959.57 SIN-[HIS]) 
15. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places,” 116–7.

The information in this article is valid as of 16 March 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.






Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Neil Road


Neil Road in Chinatown is a one-way road that begins at South Bridge Road and ends at two points – one leads into Kampong Bahru Road and the other to the junction of New Bridge Road and Eu Tong Sen Street. Originally known as Silat, Selat or Salat Road, it...

Pulau Palawan


Pulau Palawan is an islet lying off the southern coast of Sentosa Island. Originally a reef called Terembu Palawan, its name was changed to Pulau Palawan after it was reclaimed. Pulau Palawan is not physically connected to Sentosa, and should not to be mistaken for the man-made sandy islet which...

Woodlands MRT line


The Woodlands Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) line, connecting Choa Chu Kang to Yishun, was constructed in the early 1990s. The S$1.3-billion MRT line was officially opened on 10 February 1996 by then Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong. Also known as the Woodlands extension line, it is made up of six...

Hill Street


Hill Street runs from the junction of Victoria Street and Stamford Road and extends to the edge of the Chinatown area. It is one of Singapore’s first roads and derives its name from its close proximity to Government Hill (Fort Canning Hill). The buildings that line Hill Street mirror Singapore’s...

Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system


The Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system is a rail network that is the backbone of Singapore’s public transport system. Officially launched in 1988, the MRT system currently comprises four main lines: North-South, East-West, North-East and Circle. Additional lines are in the process of construction. As of 2012, the rail network...

Minden Road


Minden Road connects Harding Road and Napier Road. Once a nutmeg estate, Minden Road is now home to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and St George’s Church, while several high commissions and embassies are also located in the vicinity....

Anson Road


Anson Road is located in the Tanjong Pagar area and begins near a carpark around Keppel Road, then bifurcates into two roads – one merges into Keppel Road while the other proceeds as a one-way road connecting to the junction of Robinson Road and Maxwell Road. It is named after...

Coleman Bridge


Coleman Bridge spans the Singapore River and links Hill Street with New Bridge Road. It is named after the designer of the first Coleman Bridge built in 1840, George D. Coleman (b. 1795, Drogheda, Ireland–d. 27 March 1844, Singapore). Coleman was the first Government Superintendent of Public Works and served...

Flint Street


Flint Street stretches from Battery Road to Boat Quay and is flanked on each side by the Bank of China building and Malayan Banking building. It was named after Captain William Flint, the brother-in-law of Sir Stamford Raffles and Singapore’s first Master Attendant. It was probably named before 1861. The...

Sago Lane


Sago Lane is a one-way road in Chinatown connecting South Bridge Road to Banda Street. It was named for the many sago factories that were located there in the 1840s. Sago Lane was also known for the Chinese “death houses”. ...