Bugis Junction (indoor streets of Bugis)



Singapore Infopedia

by Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala

Background

Bugis Junction is a mixed development comprising a shopping complex, an office tower and a hotel. It incorporated three former streets on its site into its shopping complex: Malabar, Malay and Hylam streets.These streets are the first in Singapore to be air-conditioned, and are referred to as “indoor” streets.2

Historical Background
The Bugis area, where Bugis Junction is located, is named after the Bugis, a Malay sub-group with origins in South Sulawesi (Celebes) in Indonesia, and once well known for their seafaring and warring skills.3

The first Bugis merchants settled in Singapore at around the time it was founded in 1819. At the time, a Bugis prince in Sulawesi was executed for alleged treason, and his brother fled to Singapore to seek refuge, along with 500 followers. They occupied an area that extended from Kampong Glam to the mouth of the Rochor River. To encourage them to settle down, Stamford Raffles laid out a Bugis town which was marked as Bugis Village in early British maps. The present Bugis Street is about 0.5 km west of the original settlement.4

Description
Bugis Junction was officially opened on 8 September 1995.It was managed by Parco and the project developed by Bugis City Holdings, which had four shareholders – Straits Steamship Land, Pidemco Land, Gladioli Investments and Seiyo Investments.6 The project was estimated to cost S$900 million in 1995.7


As part of the development, old shophouses on Malabar, Malay and Hylam streets were rebuilt and weatherproofed, while the streets were featured as Singapore’s first indoor air-conditioned, glass-covered streets. Linked to the Bugis Mass Rapid Transit Station, Bugis Junction also includes a 15-storey office block, the five-star InterContinental Singapore hotel, a departmental store as well as a host of food outlets and shops.8

In 2005, Bugis Junction was bought over by CapitaLand.9

Indoor streets
Malabar Street was named after the immigrants who came to Singapore from the Malabar Coast of India.10 Three-storey shophouses with cream-coloured facades once lined both sides of the street. A Hokkien Buddhist temple, Sun Tian Temple, was located on Malabar Street before it moved to Albert Street in 1986.11


Before the 1930s, Malay Street was notorious for the vice activities that used to take place along the street. Brothels with Chinese, Japanese and Europeans girls were “known to seamen and travellers the world over”.12 The area was purged of its prostitution activities after the authorities cleaned up the place in the early 1930s.13 Due to the large number of Japanese living on Malay Street, it was also known as jit pun koi in Hokkien, which means “Japanese street”.14

Hylam Street was named after the Hainanese immigrants from Hainan, an island province in China.15 They occupied an area stretching from Bencoolen Street to Beach Road through Middle Road, off which is Hylam Street. Many Japanese also lived in the area before World War II.16

Variant names of the streets
Hylam Street
17
(1) 海南街: Hai-lam koi (Hokkien), hoi-nam kai (Cantonese), both mean “Hailam street”, a reference to the Hiananese immigrants from Hainan island, China, who once lived there.

(2) 海南会馆(后): Hai-lam hue-kuan au (Hokkien), which means “behind the Hailam kongsi house”, referring to the Hylam kongsi house on Malabar Street.

Malabar Street18
海南会馆巷: Hai-lam hue-kuan hang (Hokkien), hoi-nam wui-kwun hong (Cantonese), both mean “Hailam kongsi-house lane”.


Malay Street19
(1) 日本街: Jit-pun koi (Hokkien), which means “Japanese street”.

(2) 日本寨街: Yat pun chai kai (Cantonese), which means “Japanese brothel street”.



Author
Thulaja Naidu Ratnala



References
1. Kalpana Rashiwala, “Bugis Junction: Can It Beat the Retail Blues?Straits Times, 2 April 1995, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
2. Chan Sue Meng, “White Elephant or Vibrant Shopping Mall? Straits Times, 5 June 1994, 4 (From NewspaperSG); Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Toponymics: A Study of Singapore Street Names (Singapore: Eastern Universities Press, 2003), 245–7. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
3. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 282 (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA]); “Boat Replica to Restore Sense of History to Bugis Junction,” Straits Times, 13 September 1995, 3; “The Bugis Connection: A Tale of two Bugis,” Straits Times, 15 July 1992, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
4. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 282; “Boat Replica to Restore Sense of History”; “Bugis Connection.” 
5. Ann Williams, “Bugis-Rochor Area to Be Arts, Entertainment Hub,” Straits Times, 9 September 1995, 48 (From NewspaperSG); Minister for National Development and Second Minister for Foreign Affairs Lim Hng Kiang Is Guest of Honour at Official Opening Ceremony of Bugis Junction held at Fountain Square, Bugis Junction, 8 September 1995, photograph, Ministry of Information and The Arts Collection, National Archive of Singapore (media-image no. 19980000335-0046)
6. Rashiwala, “Can It Beat the Retail Blues?
7. “Bugis Junction Worth $1B: PCRD,” Business Times, 25 August 1995, 14; Rashiwala, “Can It Beat the Retail Blues?
8. Rashiwala, “Can It Beat the Retail Blues?”; Chan, “White Elephant or Vibrant Shopping Mall?
9. Joyce Teo, “CapitaLand and KepLand to Raise Bugis Stakes,” Straits Times, 14 May 2005, 34; Joyce Teo, “Property Trust Buys Parco Bugis Junction for $581M,” Straits Times, 23 July 2005, 33. (From NewspaperSG)
10. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 202. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
11. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 282; Chua Leong Kin,  “The Find That May Restart Controversy,” Straits Times, 20 September 1981, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
12. Savage and Yeoh, Study of Singapore Street Names, 246; Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 203.
13. Savage and Yeoh, Study of Singapore Street Names, 246; L. K. H., “Singapore Is Much Less Sinful Now,” Sunday Tribune (Singapore), 27 May 1934, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
14. Savage and Yeoh, Study of Singapore Street Names, 247; Sit Yin Fong, “Collyer Quay Is Its Official Name,” Straits Times, 12 December 1948, 6. (From NewspaperSG)
15. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 109.
16. Savage and Yeoh, Study of Singapore Street Names, 156; Sit, “Collyer Quay Is Its Official Name”; Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 109;
17. H. W. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay Peninsula,” Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 94–95 (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 JMBRAS); Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 109.
18. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places,” 106–7; Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 202.
19. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places,” 106–7; Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 203.



The information in this article is valid as of September 2018 and correct as far as we can ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.








Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Johnston's Pier

ARTICLE

Johnston’s Pier was a jetty that once stood along Collyer Quay, opposite Fullerton Square and the Hong Kong Bank Building on Battery Road. Built to facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, it was completed on 13 March 1856. In its time, many famous dignitaries – including British royalty and...

Kranji Road

ARTICLE

Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Kampong Java Road

ARTICLE

Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus. ...

Ophir Road

ARTICLE

Ophir Road begins as an offshoot from Rochor Canal Road, and ends at Republic Boulevard at one point and East Coast Parkway at another point. It runs parallel to Rochor Road. Landmarks along the road include Raffles Hospital and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. ...

Whiteaway Laidlaw

ARTICLE

Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900. Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before...

Singapore Institution Library (1837–1844)

ARTICLE

The Singapore Institution Library grew from a vision, by Sir Stamford Raffles, for an educated Singapore. Upon the founding of Singapore, one of Raffles’s early initiatives was the setting up of an institution of learning and along with it, the means to collect and preserve the treasures of the region....

Chin Chew Street

ARTICLE

Chin Chew Street, in Chinatown, connects South Bridge Road and China Street. An Indian residential area in the 1820s, it later became synonymous with the samsui women who made this street their home in the early 20th century. ...

Short Street

ARTICLE

Short Street begins at the junction where it meets Middle Road, Selegie Road and Wilkie Road. It connects Selegie Road to Rochor Canal Road. Although some suggest that the road might be named after Septimus Short, who spoke on public issues related to railways and docks, others posit that it...

Land Transport Authority

ARTICLE

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is a statutory board under the Ministry of Transport in Singapore. First established in September 1995, it is responsible for planning, operating and maintaining Singapore’s land transport infrastructure and systems. ...

Magazine Road

ARTICLE

Magazine Road connects Havelock Road and Merchant Road. The road probably got its name due to its association with the old ammunition storage ground of Havelock Road....