Senoko Fishing Port

Singapore Infopedia


Senoko Fishing Port (now known as Senoko Fishery Port), which is located at the northern end of Singapore in Woodlands,1 was officially opened on 6 December 1997. The 3.24-hectare port has the capacity to manage up to 20 tonnes of fish a day, and serves as the home base for local fishing vessels.2

Senoko Fishing Port began operations on 2 September 1997. It replaced the 13-year-old Punggol Fishing Port and its wholesale market, which also relocated to Senoko Port on the same date.3 The old Punggol Port was about 2.65 ha and 3.5 m deep. The move to Senoko was necessary to make way for Punggol 21,4 an integrated plan to develop Punggol into a waterfront town. At least 30 fishing vessels that had been using Punggol Port were affected by the move.5

The S$26-million6 Senoko Fishing Port has a 180-metre-long jetty and a seven-metre-deep harbour that allows the docking of the larger foreign vessels to bring their catch in.7 It can take in ships weighing up to 300 tonnes,8 and has a docking capacity of 70 local trawlers and 120 in-shore fishing vessels. It allows more vessels to berth at the same time, compared to what Punggol could accommodate.9  

Besides the port, other facilities include a wholesale centre, which is a two-storey building comprising a wholesale market (that can accommodate up to 30 fish merchants) and a canteen on the first floor, while the second floor consists of offices.10 The port also has a 24-hour computerised system for supplying fresh water to fishing vessels.11

Managed by the Primary Production Department (PPD) then, it was hoped that Senoko Fishing Port would attract more vessels to Singapore and in turn increase the supply of seafood.12 It is currently operated by the Singapore Food Agency (SFA), a statutory board that was established on 1 April 2019 to oversee food safety and security in Singapore.13

The Wholesale Meat and Fish Act as well as the Fisheries Act are enforced at Senoko Fishing Port.14 It is also an approved landing point in Singapore for coastal fish farms operating in the eastern Straits of Johor.15

The port is popular amongst locals, especially as Chinese New Year approaches, as fish is sold more cheaply here.16 2005 marked the first year when it stayed open during Chinese New Year so that the supply of seafood and fish to local markets was not disrupted.17


Joyce A. Tuining

1. “Punggol Fishing Port to Move to Senoko Next Month,” Straits Times, 5 August 1997, 27; Ginnie Teo, “Fish Sales Drop Despite Large Crowds,” Straits Times, 15 February 2002, 6.(From NewspaperSG); “Senoko Fishery Port,” Singapore Food Agency, 12 May 2020.
2. Tan Shrz Ee, “More Fish from Different Places,” Straits Times, 7 December 1997, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
3. “Kangar Fisherfolk to Move to New Punggol Complex,” Straits Times, 19 February 1984, 8; “Punggol Fishing Port to Move”; Chang Ai-Lien, “End of the Line for Punggol Port,” Straits Times, 1 September 1997, 29; “Senoko Fishing Port,” Straits Times, 5 September 1997, 63. (From NewspaperSG)
4. “Punggol Fishing Port to Move.”
5. Abdul Hadhi, “Fishing Port to Make Way for Waterfront Town,” Business Times, 22 July 1995, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
6. Singapore Food Agency, “Senoko Fishery Port.”
7. “Punggol Fishing Port to Move”; Bǎng é yúgǎng 9 yuè qiān zhì shèng nuò gē 榜鹅渔港9月迁至圣诺哥, Lianhe Zaobao 联合早报, 5 August 1997, 8; Su Chengling 苏乘苓, Yuán chǎn jú nǔlì xúnzhǎo gèng duō shíwù gōngyìng láiyuán 原产局努力寻找更多食物供应来源, Lianhe Zaobao 联合早报, 17 December 1997, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
8. Tan, “More Fish from Different Places.”
9. Tan, “More Fish from Different Places”; “榜鹅渔港9月迁至圣诺哥.”
10. “Punggol Fishing Port to Move.”
11. Tan, “More Fish from Different Places.”
12. “Fish Merchants Get Rent Cuts,” Straits Times, 2 July 1998, 37; Li Jinchang 李金嫦, Shèng nuò gē yúgǎng qǐ yè yú shāng gèng duō jiāoyì sheng “圣诺哥渔港启业 鱼商更多交易盛,” Lianhe Zaobao 联合早报, 4 September 1997, 5. (From NewspaperSG)
13. Ministry of National Development, “New Singapore Food Agency to Oversee Food Safety and Security, the National Parks Board to Oversee Animal and Wildlife Management, as Well as Animal and Plant Health,” press release, 26 July 2018.
14. “SFA’s Centres,” Singapore Food Agency, 12 May 2020.
15. Amanda Lee, “AVA Seeks Ideas for Better Farming Systems,” Today, 25 July 2014, p. 34. (From NewspaperSG)
16. Teo, “Fish Sales Drop Despite Large Crowds.” 
17. “Fish Vendors to Stay Open,” Straits Times, 3 February 2005, 3. (From NewspaperSG)

The information in this article is valid as at May 2020 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Ang Mo Kio


Ang Mo Kio is located in the northeastern region of Singapore. The name Ang Mo Kio in Hokkien literally translates to “red-haired man’s bridge”. ...

Elgin Bridge


Elgin Bridge spans the Singapore River and joins North Bridge Road to South Bridge Road. Built in 1862, the bridge was named after Lord James Bruce Elgin, the Governor-General of India (1862–1863) and eighth Earl of Elgin. The bridge functioned until January 1927, when it made way for the construction...

Liang Seah Street


Liang Seah Street, located in the Civic District, links North Bridge Road with Beach Road. Built in the old European residential town during colonial times, it was named in 1927 after the well-known Teochew millionaire, Seah Liang Seah of Chin Choon and Chin Giap, a pineapple-canning venture. ...

Alkaff Lake Gardens


The Alkaff Lake Gardens was located off MacPherson Road, at what is now the Sennett Estate and Cedar Girls’ Secondary School. The Japanese-styled garden was developed by Syed Shaik Alkaff of the Alkaff family. ...

Kranji Expressway (KJE)


Kranji Expressway is Singapore’s eighth expressway. Built between 1994 and 1995, it is 8.4km long. It links the Bukit Timah Expressway (BKE) and the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE), at the Tengah flyover, near Hong Kah. ...

St John's Island


St John's Island is a southern island famous for its history as a penal settlement but is now a holiday resort....

Hotel de la Paix


Hotel de la Paix was established in 1865, making it one of the earliest hotels to be set up in Singapore. It operated from Coleman House, the former personal residence of Singapore’s first superintendent of public works, G. D. Coleman (George Dromgold Coleman), at 3 Coleman Street. It was billed...

Tanjong Rhu Road


Tanjong Rhu Road begins from the junction of Fort Road and Meyer Road, and ends near the Marina Reservoir. It runs parallel to the East Coast Parkway while part of the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway runs under Tanjong Rhu Road. This road used to be a marine yard and the centre...

David Elias Building


The David Elias Building, completed in 1928, is situated at the junction of Short Street and Middle Road. The building features various Stars of David in bas-relief on its facade. The words “David Elias Buildings” and the year of its completion are inscribed beneath the Star of David at the...

Jalan Eunos


Jalan Eunos marks the eastern boundary of Geylang, a district located in the central region of Singapore. The road starts from Changi Road and is cut off by the expressway-flyover at Eunos Link, while the unconnected stretch of Jalan Eunos is linked with Bedok Reservoir Road, accessible from Eunos Link....