Alkaff Lake Gardens



Singapore Infopedia

by Dwor-Frecaut, Gary Maurice

Background

The Alkaff Lake Gardens was located off MacPherson Road, at what is now the Sennett Estate and Cedar Girls’ Secondary School.1 The Japanese-styled garden was developed by Syed Shaik Alkaff of the Alkaff family.2

The Alkaff family
The Alkaffs were a prominent Arab family of merchants and property developers.3 They owned holiday bungalows in Pasir Panjang and Pender Road, as well as the famous Hotel de L’Europe, and Alkaff Arcade at Raffles Place.4

The Alkaffs are most remembered for their lavish home, Alkaff Mansion, and the Masjid Alkaff Mosque.5

Prewar years
The Alkaff Lake Gardens was the first Japanese garden built in Singapore. Syed Shaik Abdul Rahman Alkaff of the Alkaf family hired a Japanese landscape expert to develop the garden, which was opened to the public in 1929.6

The 10-acre garden became a place of attraction for both visitors and residents.7 It had a lake for rowing boats, neatly landscaped paths, and picnic tables under shady trees.8 Visitors could also rent tea houses.9

Chinese merchant Tan Aik Kee of Nanyang Amusement Co. managed the park in the mid-1930s, adding to the gardens Guangzhou-styled boathouses and stalls with refreshments and games.10

World War II
The garden was requisitioned by the British military during World War II, following which the Singapore Volunteer Field Ambulance Corps used it as their headquarters. A huge Red Cross sign was laid on the grass and recognised by the Japanese air force who did not bomb the site. The garden, however, was bombed and shelled after the corps moved out.11

The garden remained closed to the public during the Japanese Occupation (1942–45). An armed guard was posted outside of the garden, and it was unclear what the site was used for during the period.12

Postwar years
After the war, the Alkaffs decided to return to their core business of trading, and thus sold away much of their property.13

In 1949, the Sennett Realty Company bought over Alkaff Lake Gardens for $2 million to develop the Sennett Estate. Because of public calls to preserve the park, some parts of the gardens remained after the housing project was completed. However, in 1964, the lake was filled and artificial hills were levelled to make way for the Willow Avenue Secondary School.14 The school was constructed on the main site of the garden and closed in 1991 owing to decreasing enrolment. The site has been occupied by Cedar Girls’ Secondary School since 1994.15

In 2015, the Housing Development Board launched new residential projects in Bidadari Park, which included a new Alkaff Lake named after the original Alkaff Lake Gardens.16



Author
Gary Maurice Dwor-Frecaut



References
1. Ray K. Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 199 (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS]); Dhoraisingam S. Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage: Through Places of Historical Interest (Singapore: Dhoraisingam S. Samuel, 2010), 19. (Call no. RSING 959.57 SAM-[HIS])
2. Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage, 19.
3. G. Uma Devi, et al., Singapore’s 100 Historic Places (Singapore: Archipelago Press; National Heritage Board, 2002), 118. (Call no. RSING 959.57 SIN-[HIS])
4. Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage, 19.
5. Devi, et al., Singapore’s 100 Historic Places, 118.
6. Devi, et al., Singapore’s 100 Historic Places, 118; Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 199; Winnie Tan, “This Was Once Singapore’s Largest Planned Housing Development: A History of Sennett Estate,” BiblioAsia 18, no. 2 (July–September 2022).
7. Roy Ferroa, “S’pore’s Forgotten Park,” Singapore Free Press, 20 April 1948, 2 (From NewspaperSG); Tan, “A History of Sennett Estate.”
8. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 199; Devi, et al., Singapore’s 100 Historic Places, 118.
9. Ferroa, “S’pore’s Forgotten Park.” 
10. Tan, “A History of Sennett Estate”; “Brighter Alkaff Gardens,” Straits Times, 17 September 1935, 12; “Alkaff Gardens Becoming a Popular Park,” Straits Times, 23 February 1936, 17(From NewspaperSG)
11. Ferroa, “S’pore’s Forgotten Park.”
12. Ferroa, “S’pore’s Forgotten Park.” 
13. Devi, et al., Singapore’s 100 Historic Places, 118; Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 199.
14. “On the Margin,” Straits Times, 21 July 1950, 6; “More Open Spaces —Not Less!” Straits Times, 26 July 1950, 6 (From NewspaperSG); Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 199.
15. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 199; Sandra Davie, “Some Schools In Older Housing Estates to Close,” Straits Times, 17 December 1990, 24; Leong Chan Teik, “Ng Teng Fong — in Dentist's Chair — Donates $17,000 for Clock,” Straits Times, 1 July 1994, 2; “Cedar Girls Move to New School Building They Worked Hard For,” Straits Times, 10 November 1994, 24(From NewspaperSG)
16. Yeo Sam Jo and Janice Heng, “New Bidadari Homes to Sit amid Lush Gardens,” Straits Times, 16 November 2015, 2(From NewspaperSG)



The information in this article is valid as of August 2023 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

 

 


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Kranji Road

ARTICLE

Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Fort Siloso

ARTICLE

Fort Siloso, located on the northwestern tip of Sentosa Island, was built in the 1880s on Mount Siloso to aid in protecting the port, particularly the western entrance to Keppel Harbour and the coal stocked nearby. It was part of Singapore’s coastal defence along with Fort Serapong and Fort Connaught...

Stamford Road

ARTICLE

Stamford Road is a street in the Museum Precinct of the Central Region. Named after Singapore’s founder, Stamford Raffles, Stamford Road stretches from the Esplanade to Fort Canning. In the 1840s, part of the road was called Hospital Street, due to a nearby hospital. ...

Sembawang MRT Station

ARTICLE

Sembawang Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station was constructed as a part of the Woodlands MRT Line during the 1990s. This station has the largest number of bicycle stands than any other MRT station on the Woodlands Line. ...

South Bridge Road

ARTICLE

South Bridge Road is located in Outram, near the Singapore River in Singapore’s central region. One of the thriving centres of the city in the heart of Chinatown, South Bridge Road was historically an important street. It was one of the main thoroughfares linking the town and New Harbour (Keppel...

Raffles Town Plan (Jackson Plan)

ARTICLE

The Raffles Town Plan, also known as the Jackson Plan, refers to Stamford Raffles’s plan for the town of Singapore formulated in late 1822. Lieutenant Philip Jackson drew up a plan according to Raffles’s vision and the resultant plan was published in 1828. The town plan focused on the downtown...

Gaston Dutronquoy

ARTICLE

Gaston Dutronquoy was a prominent hotelier and entrepreneur in Singapore during the 1840s and early 1850s. He was also the island's first recorded resident photographer. A native of Jersey in the Channel Islands, off the coast of France, he first arrived in Singapore in March 1839, advertising himself as a...

Market Street

ARTICLE

Market Street refers to two one-way roads within the central business district. One road connects Church Street to Chulia Street, while the other connects Cecil Street to the junction of Cross Street and Robinson Road. ...

Newton Circus

ARTICLE

The 22.3-hectare Newton Circus is one of the six subzones in the Newton planning area, a prime residential district located near Orchard Road in central Singapore. Home to some very exclusive old houses and high-rise residential developments, such as Newton One and Park Infinia, Newton Circus is also well known...

Jurong Island

ARTICLE

Located off the southwestern coast of Singapore, Jurong Island is a manmade island formed through successive land reclamation works that joined up several offshore islands, namely Pulau Ayer Chawan, Pulau Ayer Merbau, Pulau Merlimau, Pulau Pesek, Pulau Pesek Kechil (also called Terumbu Pesek), Pulau Sakra (merged earlier from Pulau Sakra...