St John's Island

Singapore Infopedia

by Anasuya Balamurugan


St John's Island is a southern island famous for its history as a penal settlement but is now a holiday resort.

The island has a significant history tied to Singapore. Stamford Raffles, sailing on the Indiana actually anchored off St John's Island on 28 January 1819 before heading to mainland Singapore the next day. By February 1823, the island had the signal flagstaff moved there from Pulau Tambakul (Goa Island, then later renamed Peak Island).

When hordes of immigrants began making their way to Singapore bringing not only wealth but sicknesses, St John's Island was the station for the "report boat" for the Marine Department (1823) to bring news of immigrants until the cholera epidemic of 1873 which saw 448 deaths. The epidemic prompted the master attendant, Henry Ellis, to call for a lazaretto to be built on St John's. The plans included a floating police station, a hospital at St John's and a quarantine burial-ground sited at Peak Island. The lazaretto was completed in November 1874 at St John's, just in time it seems, to attend to more than 1,300 cholera-infected Chinese coolies brought in by the S. S. Milton. Victims of beri-beri were also brought into St John's lazaretto beginning in 1901. Such was the fame of St John's lazaretto that, by 1930, she had gained world recognition as a quarantine centre screening Asian immigrants and pilgrims returning from Mecca.

When the mass immigration was closed, the island was used to house political detainees and ringleaders of secret societies. Later the holding areas were converted into a drug rehabilitation centre, and in 1975 it became a holiday campsite popular with schools and students.

A third of the island on the eastern end was acquired by the Prisons' Department for the setting up of a prison detention centre for illegal immigrants and drug addicts. The western end, on the other hand, was given a facelift with the construction of the S$30-million Marine Aquaculture Centre whose marine research facilities would take another third of the island. The work on this, Southeast Asia's first deep-sea fish farm, began in April 1997 and is expected to finish in April 2000.

Variant names
Malay name: Sekijang Bendera or "deer flag".
Chinese name: Qi Zhang Shang meaning "Mount Qi Zhang" refering to a hill (189 ft) in the island's centre, a Chinese reinterpretaion of Sakijang.

Anasuya Balamurugan

Makepeace, W., Brooke, G. E., & Braddell, R. St. J. (Eds.). (1991). One hundred years of Singapore. (Vol. 1). Singapore: Oxford University Press, pp. 8, 57, 478, 492, 506, 512. (Call no.: RSING 959.57 ONE)

Lee, J. (1999, February 25). Barbed wire, fences go up at St John's. The Straits Times, p. 28. Retrieved from NewspaperSG.

Lee, J. (1999, February 25). History of St John's. The Straits Times, p. 29. Retrieved from NewspaperSG.

St John's to have marine research centre. (1999, February 11). The Straits Times, p. 32. Retrieved from NewspaperSG.

Wurtzburg, C. E. (1984). Raffles of the eastern isles. Singapore: Oxford University Press, pp. 483–484. (Call no.: RSING 959.570210924 RAF.W-[HIS])

Further resource
Urban Redevelopment Authority (Singapore). (1996). Southern Islands planning area: Planning report 1996. Singapore: Urban Redevelopment Authority
(Call no.: RSING 711.4095957 SIN)

The information in this article is valid as at 2002 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore



Bedok is an estate within Singapore’s East Region. It is bounded by the Siglap Canal, Marine Parade Road, Still Road, Jalan Eunos, Eunos Link and Airport Road to the west; the Paya Lebar Airport boundary to the north; and Bedok Canal to the east. Bedok sounds like the Malay word...

Street Lighting


Before switching fully to electricity in 1956, Singapore’s street lights were powered by gas from the Kallang Gas Works. ...



Bishan is an urban planning area located in the central region of Singapore. It covers an area of 743 ha bounded by Ang Mo Kio in the north, Toa Payoh in the south, the Central Expressway in the east and the Central Catchment Area in the west. The planning area...

Amber Road


Amber Road is an “L”-shaped road that connects the junction of Haig Road and Mountbatten Road to Tanjong Katong Road. The road name was linked to the family of Joseph Aaron Elias, a successful Jewish businessman in early 20th-century Singapore. A popular landmark on the road is the Chinese Swimming...

Koon Seng Road


Koon Seng Road, a two-way road, begins at the junction of Pennefather Road and Joo Chiat Road and ends at the junction of Lorong J Telok Kurau and Still Road. Named in 1934 after Cheong Koon Seng, a businessman, this road is popular for some beautiful residences along it....

Sixth Avenue


Sixth Avenue refers to an area in Bukit Timah that surrounds a road of the same name. The road was built in the late 1930s as a cul-de-sac branching off from Bukit Timah Road, and it was later extended to connect with Holland Road. Landmarks that once existed in the...

Jalan Besar


Officially named in the 1880s, “Jalan Besar” literally means “big or wide road” in Malay. The road began as a track through a betel nut and nipah plantation. It was subsequently developed into a major road, along which communities resided and worked. Jalan Besar has been gazetted as a conserved...

Labrador Park/Fort Pasir Panjang


Labrador Park/Fort Pasir Panjang, former defence battery, nature park and designated reserve area, is located in Singapore’s Central Region. The name Labrador is derived from “Labrador Villa”, the name of the residence of prominent ship chandler, George John Mansfield, built in 1881. Known as Fort Pasir Panjang, it was one...

Beaulieu House


Beaulieu House is located at 117 Beaulieu Road, within the grounds of what is now Sembawang Park. Built sometime in the 1910s, the house was believed to have been owned by a Jewish family by the name of David, before the building and the surrounding land were acquired by the...

Major floods in Singapore


Floods are a common occurrence in Singapore usually caused by a combination of heavy rainfall, high tides and drainage problems, especially in low-lying areas. Most floods in Singapore are flash floods that subside within a few hours. Although most floods cause only minor inconveniences, Singapore has also experienced several major...