Jalan Eunos

Singapore Infopedia


Jalan Eunos marks the eastern boundary of Geylang, a district located in the central region of Singapore. The road starts from Changi Road and is cut off by the expressway-flyover at Eunos Link, while the unconnected stretch of Jalan Eunos is linked with Bedok Reservoir Road, accessible from Eunos Link. Jalan Eunos and other locations with the same name are named after Mohamed Eunos bin Abdullah, a prominent Malay elite in Singapore during the 1920s. Originally a rural area with plantations and farmlands, Jalan Eunos has evolved from a Malay settlement village in the late 1920s to become a modern high-rise private and public housing area with terraced and bungalow houses, as well as industrial estates in its vicinity.1

Jalan Eunos area was originally quite hilly with many vegetable farms and coconut plantations. In the latter part of the 19th century, many Malays congregated in Geylang along with wealthy Arabs such as the Alkaff, Alsagoff and Aljunied families. The Alsagoffs were landowners of the large Perseverance Estate, which stretched from Geylang Serai to Jalan Eunos. In the latter half of the 19th century, Perseverance Estate cultivated serai (lemongrass).2

Jalan Eunos was also home to one of the last Malay settlements on mainland Singapore. The Jalan Eunos Malay Settlement, originally called Kampong Melayu and renamed Kampong Eunos, was situated near Changi Road, off Jalan Eunos. It was founded with the help of Mohamed Eunos Abdullah, president and co-founder of the Kesatuan Melayu Singapura (Singapore Malay Union) and the first Malay representative of the Legislative Council. In 1927, Mohamed Eunos successfully lobbied the Legislative Council for land to resettle the Malays who had to move as a result of the Kallang Airport project. The council eventually granted 240 ha of land near Geylang Serai and $700,000 to build a Malay settlement. The settlement was gazetted the following year and became the first such designated Malay enclave in Singapore.3 In 1930, the road leading to the settlement was named Jalan Eunos in honour of Mohamed Eunos for his contribution to the establishment of Kampong Melayu.4

In 1960, the settlement was extended to include the Kaki Bukit area.The kampong eventually gave way to the construction of the Pan Island Expressway (PIE), whose eastern section opened on 10 January 1981, stretching from Jalan Eunos to East Coast Parkway.6 On 4 November 1989, together with eight other stations along the East-West Line of Singapore’s Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system, the Eunos MRT station was opened to commuters.7


Vernon Cornelius

1. Singapore Land Authority, OneMap,
2. National Archives (Singapore), Geylang Serai: Down Memory Lane: Kenangan Abadi (Singapore: Heinemann Asia, 1986), 18, 19 (Call no. RSING 779.995957 GEY); Jalan Eunos: A General View, 1 August 1967, photograph, Lee Kip Lin Collection, National Library Board; Survey Department, Singapore, Singapore. Instrumental Plot – Kaki Bukit, 1970, topographic map, National Archives of Singapore (accession no. TM000882)
3. Musa Kasbi, “Eunos Founded first Malay Political Body,” Straits Times, 23 February 1988, 4 (From NewspaperSG)C. M. Turnbull, A History of Modern Singapore, 1819–2005 (Singapore: NUS Press, 2009), 155 (Call no. RSING 959.57 TUR-[HIS]); Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 168. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
4. “Singapore Rural Board Meeting,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 16 April 1930, 5. (From NewspaperSG)
5. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 142, 143.
6. “Another Piece of PIE Is Ready,” Straits Times, 10 January 1981, 15. (From NewspaperSG)
7. Singapore MRT, Annual Report (Singapore: SMRT, 1989–1991), 15, 20. (Call no. RCLOS 388.40605957 SMRT-[AR])

The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.







Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

East Coast Parkway


The East Coast Parkway (ECP) is a 19-kilometre expressway built on reclaimed land along the southeastern coast of Singapore. Completed in 1981, it connects the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE) at Shenton Way in the Central Business District to Singapore Changi Airport in the east. ...



Jurong used to be a mangrove swamp before it was developed into an industrial estate in 1961. Residential and recreational amenities were built in Jurong over the next two decades to attract people to live and work there and to facilitate the expansion of the estate. Jurong has since transformed...

Koon Seng Road


Koon Seng Road, a two-way road, begins at the junction of Pennefather Road and Joo Chiat Road and ends at the junction of Lorong J Telok Kurau and Still Road. Named in 1934 after Cheong Koon Seng, a businessman, this road is popular for some beautiful residences along it....

Former City Hall


Located in the heart of the civic district, the former City Hall served as an important government office in Singapore. The impressive building bears witness to Singapore’s colonial past and the Japanese Occupation (1942–45) as well as several milestones on its way to independence....

St James Power Station


Located on Keppel Road near the entrance to the island of Sentosa, St James Power Station was a coal-fired power station built by the British between 1924 and 1927. The power station was decommissioned in 1976 as it was unable to meet Singapore’s rising demand for electrical power. The building...

Beach Road


Beach Road is bounded by North Bridge Road, Tan Quee Lan Street and Seah Street. It was historically designated a part of the European Town. Once lined with beautiful villas, Beach Road today marks the boundary of Kampong Glam, and is well known for its two national monuments – Raffles...

Punggol reclamation


Punggol is situated in the northeast of Singapore, bordered by the Tampines Expressway, Sungei Punggol, Strait of Johor, Serangoon Harbour and Sungei Serangoon. The Punggol planning area as outlined by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) of Singapore also includes Coney Island (Pulau Serangoon). Under the Punggol 21 scheme, the old...

Central Expressway


The Central Expressway (CTE) links the city to districts in the north of Singapore such as Toa Payoh, Bishan and Ang Mo Kio. To its north is the Seletar Expressway and to its south, the Ayer Rajah Expressway. Opened in 1991, parts of the CTE are underground, forming the first...

Mountbatten Estate


Mountbatten Estate is one of the five subzones in the Marine Parade area within Singapore’s Central Region. It spans a total area of 161 ha. It was named after Lord Louis Mountbatten, who later became Earl Mountbatten of Burma. Today, Mountbatten Estate is described as an area with a mix...

Mosquito bus


The so-called “mosquito bus” is a small, seven-seater motor bus commonly seen on Singapore roads in the 1920s and 1930s. Following a raft of regulations implemented in the 1930s, mosquito buses were gradually phased out....