Koon Seng Road



Singapore Infopedia

by Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala

Background

Koon Seng Road, a two-way road, begins at the junction of Pennefather Road and Joo Chiat Road and ends at the junction of Lorong J Telok Kurau and Still Road.Named in 1934 after Cheong Koon Seng, a businessman, this road is popular for some beautiful residences along it.

History
Koon Seng Road was known as Lorong E East Coast before being renamed after Cheong Koon Seng (b. 1880 – d1934) in 1934.2 Cheong Koon Seng was the elder of two sons of Cheong Ann Bee, a wealthy first-generation Straits-born merchant from Malacca.3 Koon Seng, one of the first cohort of 13 students of Anglo-Chinese School, built the Theatre Royal and Star Opera Company on North Bridge Road in the 1870s with his brother Koon Hong. He was an auctioneer and a real estate agent.4 

Koon Seng Road was a predominantly residential area, but it had a vibrant business atmosphere as there were shophouses along the road. The road was also a Peranakan enclave in the past until the 1970s when the Peranakans began moving to other parts of Singapore. A few dreaded triads such as Gang 18 and 36th Pai operated in the vicinity of this road. Kampongs situated around the road proved to be good hideouts, especially for hiding weapons. Though violence was limited to inter-gang fights and did not affect the layman directly, scenes of violent fights are well remembered by those who grew up in the area in the 1950s.5

Description
Several schools were located along Koon Seng Road. In 1925, the Katong Girls’ School was relocated to Koon Seng Road and renamed Choon Guan School. The English section of the school later became a separate school called Choon Guan English School in 1936, and was then renamed Presbyterian Boys’ School in 1950.

In 1938, Kuo Chuan Girls’ School was opened for girls at 36 Joo Chiat Lane, off Koon Seng Road. In 1985, Kuo Chuan Girls’ School and Presbyterian Boys' School amalgamated to form Kuo Chuan Presbyterian School, which further developed into Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Primary School and Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Secondary School in 1987. Both schools relocated to Bishan in the late 1980s.Presently, Koon Seng Road is home to Haig Girls’ School.7

Along Koon Seng Road, there are well-designed picturesque two- to three-storey shophouses, terrace houses and homes, some in distinct Peranakan styles or ornate eclectic Chinese styles. Some of the residences on this street have been featured in books and won awards for their well-designed spaces. Most of the shophouses were built in the 1920s and 1930s and were gazetted for conservation in 1991.8 

Other buildings on this road include the Malacca Hotel, Charis Methodist Church and Sim Poh Seng Temple as well as numerous private apartments and condominiums such as Koon Seng Court and Tivoli Grande.9



Author

Naidu Ratnala Thulaja



References
1. Streetdirectory.com, “Koon Seng Road,” map, accessed 31 March 2020.
2. Death of Mr. Cheong Koon Seng,” Straits Budget, 22 March 1934, 10. (From NewspaperSG)
3. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 218 (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA]); “‘Koon Seng Road’?” Malaya Tribune, 9 April 1934, 2; “New Roads,” Malaya Tribune, 17 July 1934, 11. (From NewspaperSG)
4. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 178. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
5. Lily Kong and T. C. Chang, Joo Chiat: A Living Legacy (Singapore: Joo Chiat Citizens’ Consultative Committee in association with National Archives of Singapore, 2001), 131. (Call no. RSING 959.57 KON-[HIS])
6. A Flame for Truth: Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Schools 80th Anniversary (1924–2004) (Singapore: Publication Team, Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Schools, 2004), 6 (Call no. RSING 371.071095957 AFL); “Our Story,” Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Primary School, accessed 7 July 2020. 
7. Eunice Lau, “New Haig Girls' to Increase Intake,” Straits Times, 13 November 1999, 63. (From NewspaperSG)
8. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 301. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
9. Streetdirectory.com, “Koon Seng Road.”  



Further resources
Elisabeth Gwee, “Striking House for Striking Poses,” Straits Times, 18 December 1999, 12. (From NewspaperSG)

Robert Powell, Living Legacy: Singapore`s Architectural Heritage renewed (Singapore: Singapore Heritage Society, 1994), 88. (Call no. RSING 363.69095957 POW)

Tay Suan Ching, “Marked for Preservation,” Straits Times, 17 January 2009, 93. (From NewspaperSG)



The information in this article is valid as at 2020 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Adelphi Hotel

ARTICLE

Some of the earliest mentions of Adelphi Hotel can be found in newspaper advertisements published in 1850. The proprietor of the hotel, C. Goymour, announced in the 7 May 1850 issue of The Straits Times newspaper that the hotel had moved to High Street. Subsequently, Adelphi Hotel moved to Coleman...

Cable car tragedy at Sentosa

ARTICLE

On 29 January 1983, seven people died when the Sentosa cable cars they were aboard plunged into the sea after the derrick of an oil-drilling vessel, Eniwetok, struck the cableway when it was unberthing from the wharf nearby. It was the first fatal accident since the cableway began operations...

Mosquito bus

ARTICLE

The so-called “mosquito bus” is a small, seven-seater motor bus commonly seen on Singapore roads in the 1920s and 1930s. Following a raft of regulations implemented in the 1930s, mosquito buses were gradually phased out....

Former City Hall

ARTICLE

Located in the heart of the civic district, the former City Hall served as an important government office in Singapore. The impressive building bears witness to Singapore’s colonial past and the Japanese Occupation (1942–45) as well as several milestones on its way to independence....

Bedok land reclamation

ARTICLE

The Bedok planning area – as delineated in 1994 by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) – is bounded by Siglap Canal, Marine Parade Road, Still Road, Jalan Eunos, Eunos Link and Airport Road to the west, the Paya Lebar Airport boundary to the north and the Bedok Canal to the...

Clemenceau Avenue

ARTICLE

The original Clemenceau Avenue stretched from Newton Circus to the southern bank of the Singapore River. It was conceived as an alternative access between the northwestern sector of the city and Orchard Road, which was then served by Cairnhill Road and Cavenagh Road. Today, Clemenceau Avenue is cut by the...

Changi

ARTICLE

Changi is an estate that is located at the easternmost part of Singapore. Its name is believed to have derived from the Chengai tree, a type of tall tree that used to grow in the district. The estate has several landmarks including Changi Village, Changi Prison and Changi International Airport...

David Elias Building

ARTICLE

The David Elias Building, completed in 1928, is situated at the junction of Short Street and Middle Road. The building features various Stars of David in bas-relief on its facade. The words “David Elias Buildings” and the year of its completion are inscribed beneath the Star of David at the...

Jurong Town Hall

ARTICLE

Located at 9 Jurong Town Hall Road, Jurong Town Hall served as the headquarters of the Jurong Town Corporation (JTC; currently known as JTC Corporation) from 1974 until 2000. The building, which is considered a symbol of the success of the industrialisation programme in Jurong, was gazetted as a national...

Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE)

ARTICLE

Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE), Singapore's ninth expressway, was fully opened to traffic on 20 September 2008. Stretching 12 km from East Coast Parkway (ECP) to Tampines Expressway (TPE), it includes a 9-kilometre-long tunnel, which was the longest underground road in Southeast Asia when it was completed in 2008. Built to...