Bedok land reclamation

Singapore Infopedia


The Bedok planning area – as delineated in 1994 by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) – is bounded by Siglap Canal, Marine Parade Road, Still Road, Jalan Eunos, Eunos Link and Airport Road to the west, the Paya Lebar Airport boundary to the north and the Bedok Canal to the east. Part of the area was reclaimed during the first phase of the East Coast Reclamation Scheme. Encompassing an area of approximately 2,157 ha, the Bedok planning area includes sub-zones such as Kaki Bukit, Kembangan, Frankel and Siglap.1

Historical background
Old Bedok Road in 1930 was a rather narrow country road with little traffic, flanked by coconut trees on both sides.2 The Simpang Bedok Village, on the other hand, stood on high ground and offered a good view of the Singapore Strait. Its inhabitants were mostly Malay and Chinese fishermen, and the reclamation of Bedok in the 1960s led many of them to turn to other means of earning a living, such as selling cigarettes, food and drinks.3

The East Coast Reclamation Scheme
Launched in April 1966, the East Coast Reclamation Scheme was completed 20 years later at the end of 1986. Prior to this scheme, a smaller reclamation project had taken place in 1963 to reclaim 19 ha of land at East Coast Road.4

The East Coast Reclamation Scheme was carried out in seven phases at a total cost of $613 million. It reclaimed a total of 1,525 ha and its last phase added about 1 km of shoreline. As the government agent for this reclamation scheme, the Housing and Development Board (HDB) was responsible for the planning, design and supervision of construction for the project.5

Reclamation methods
Fill material used in the reclamation project was obtained through the cutting of hills in Siglap and Tampines. The area was subsequently excavated to form Bedok Reservoir. The cut soil was then transported by belt conveyors all the way to a loading jetty off Bedok, loaded onto barges and dumped directly into the reclaimed area. Bulldozers and dump trucks then spread, graded and compacted the reclaimed land to its final levels.6

Use of reclaimed land
The reclaimed land in Bedok has been used for the construction of residential housing, commercial buildings and recreational facilities. Residential units included private housing and high-rise flats built by HDB.7


Marsita Omar

1. Urban Redevelopment Authority (Singapore), Bedok Planning Area: Planning Report 1994 (Singapore: Urban Redevelopment Authority, 1994), 5, 7, 8. (Call no.i RSING 711.4095957 SIN)
2. Urban Redevelopment Authority (Singapore), Bedok Planning Area, 9.
3. S. Ramachandra, Singapore Landmark (Singapore: n.p., 1969), 5. (Call no. RSING 959.57 RAM-[HIS])
4. Chia Lin Sien, Habibullah Khan and Chou Loke Ming, The Coastal Environmental Profile of Singapore (Manila: International Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management, 1988), 41. (Call no. RSING 333.917095957 CHI)
5. Chia, Khan and Chou, Coastal Environmental Profile of Singapore, 41.
6. K. Y. Yong, S. L. Lee and G. P. Karunaratne, “Coastal Reclamation in Singapore: A Review,” in Urban Coastal Area Management: The Experience of Singapore, ed. Chia Lin Sien and Chou Loke Ming (Manila: International Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management, 1991), 61. (Call no. RSING 333.91715095957 SIN)
7. Chia, Khan and Chou, Coastal Environmental Profile of Singapore, 41.

The information in this article is valid as of Nov 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Montague William Pett


Montague William Pett (b. September 1880, Kent, England–d. 10 November 1940, Exeter, England) was the first professional firefighter from England sent to Singapore to organise and head the Singapore Fire Brigade in 1905. He was instrumental in reorganising the Singapore Fire Brigade and establishing the Central Fire Station at Hill...

Helix Bridge


The Helix, commonly referred to as Helix Bridge, is the longest pedestrian bridge in Singapore. Opened in 2010, the bridge has a distinctive double helix structure modelled on the DNA structure. It overlooks Marina Bay, forming a curve next to the vehicular Bayfront Bridge and the Youth Olympic Park, and...

Sentosa Cove


Sentosa Cove is an integrated residential-cum-marina resort development on the eastern coast of Sentosa island, to the south of mainland Singapore. It is largely a residential estate, featuring Singapore's first and only gated residential community. In 2014, there were 2,100 homes that range from high-rise condominiums to luxury bungalows with...

Raffles City


Raffles City is a complex which consists of two hotels, a convention centre, a shopping centre and an office tower. Built in the early 1980s, Raffles City was planned and constructed over a period of 17 years, and was the single largest commercial development built in that time. The complex...

Central Fire Station


The Central Fire Station, also known as the Hill Street Fire Station, is Singapore’s oldest surviving fire station. Completed in 1909, the distinctive red-and-white brick building was gazetted as a national monument by the Preservation of Monuments Board on 18 December 1998. Still an active station, it also houses the...

Old Sembawang Fire Station


The old Sembawang Fire Station is located at 80 Admiralty Road West, within the grounds of the former Sembawang Naval Base. Built in 1941, the fire station previously served the naval base. When British military forces withdrew from Singapore in 1971, the naval dockyard was handed over to Singapore-owned company...

Van Kleef Aquarium


The Van Kleef Aquarium was Singapore’s first public aquarium. Located at the foot of Fort Canning Hill, the aquarium was opened in 1955. It was a prominent landmark and a popular place of interest for Singaporeans and tourists alike. The aquarium underwent a series of revamps and was closed for...

David Elias Building


The David Elias Building, completed in 1928, is situated at the junction of Short Street and Middle Road. The building features various Stars of David in bas-relief on its facade. The words “David Elias Buildings” and the year of its completion are inscribed beneath the Star of David at the...

Yishun New Town


Yishun New Town is bounded by Sungei Simpang Kiri to the north, the proposed Admiralty Road East Extension to the east, Seletar Expressway to the south and Sembawang Road to the west. The town is named after Lim Nee Soon, a prominent businessman in colonial Singapore. The Yishun planning area...

Clifford Pier


Situated on Collyer Quay at the mouth of the Singapore River, Clifford Pier was built between 1927 and 1933, and officially opened by then Governor Cecil Clementi on 3 June 1933. It was named after Clementi’s predecessor, Hugh Clifford, who served as governor of the Straits Settlements between 1927 and...