Robert Fullerton



Singapore Infopedia

by Sitragandi Arunasalam

Background

Robert Fullerton (Sir) (b. 1773–d. 6 June 1831), a Scotsman, was the governor of Penang from 1824 to 1827 and the first governor of the Straits Settlements from 1826 to 1830.Several iconic landmarks in Singapore were named in honour of him, such as Fort Fullerton, Fullerton Square, and the Fullerton Building.

Governor of the Straits Settlements
In 1826, Fullerton was appointed the first governor of the Straits Settlements, when Penang, Singapore and Malacca were grouped together to form the Presidency of the Straits Settlements. During Fullerton’s tenure as governor, a major problem he had to contend with was generating enough revenue to make the Straits Settlements self-sufficient and less dependent on the British government in India. He formulated several policies to address the problem, including a retrenchment scheme, new taxes on land and houses, and new fines and fees in the law courts.2 However, to preserve Singapore’s free port status, the Straits merchants overturned Fullerton’s proposals in 1829 to impose export duties, stamp dues and a levy on the accumulated wealth of those returning to China and India.3

Fullerton’s inability to balance the budget eventually caused the then governor-general of India, William Bentinck (Lord), to intervene. Bentinck arrived in 1829 with orders from the East India Company to reorganise and downsize the administration of the Straits Settlements.4 Fullerton returned to Europe in 1830, when the status of the Straits Settlements was reduced from a presidency to a residency of the Presidency of Bengal.5 He was succeeded by Robert Ibbetson as the governor of the Straits Settlements, and died a year later in London on 6 June 1831.6


Interest in the Malay states
Fullerton had proposed Malacca as the capital of the Straits Settlements.7 His rationale was that it would be easier for the British to maintain influence over all the Malay states, as Malacca was centrally situated between Singapore and Penang.8 Bentinck chose Singapore instead, because of its increasing importance and proximity to Java and the Malay Archipelago.9

Despite the East India Company’s non-intervention policy in the Malay states, Fullerton felt the need to check Siam’s aggression in the northern Malay states in order to protect British trade.10 Going against orders, he threatened Siam with war on a few occasions.11 He also guaranteed British support for Perak if its independence were threatened.12 It could be said that Fullerton had prevented Siam from extending its influence in the northern Malay states, especially in Perak and Selangor.13

Fort Fullerton
In 1829, Fullerton built a fort at the mouth of the Singapore River (current site of the Fullerton Hotel) to defend the town.14 The fort, which was named after Fullerton, was expanded by Captain Collyer in 1854 but demolished in 1873
.15



Author
Sitragandi Arunasalam



References
1. Charles Burton Buckley, An Anecdotal History of Old Times in Singapore, vol. 1 (Singapore: Fraser & Neave, 1902), 194. (Call no. 959.57 BUC); Lisa A. Mills, Constance M. Turnbull and David Kenneth Bassett, “British Malaya, 1824–1867,” Journal of the Malayan Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society 33, no. 3 (1960): 42. (From JSTOR via NLB’s eResources website)
2. Charles Donald Cowan, “Early Penang & the Rise of Singapore 1805–1832,” Journal of the Malayan Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society 23 (March 1950): 17 (From JSTOR via NLB’s eResources website)
3. C. M. Turnbull, The Straits Settlements, 1826–67: Indian Presidency to Crown Colony (London: Athlone Press, 1972), 189–90, 201. (Call no. RSING 959.57 TUR-[HIS])
4. Walter Makepeace, Gilbert E. Brooke and Roland St John Braddell, eds., One Hundred Years of Singapore (Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1991), 21–22. (Call no. RSING 959.57 ONE-[HIS])
5. Buckley, Anecdotal History of Old Times in Singapore, 206; Cowan, “Early Penang & the Rise of Singapore,” 17
6. Walter Makepeace, Gilbert E. Brooke and Roland St John Braddell, eds., One Hundred Years of Singapore, vol. 2 (Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1991), 82. (Call no. RSING 959.57 ONE-[HIS]); Buckley, Anecdotal History, 192.
7. Cowan, “Early Penang,” 18.
8. Cowan, “Early Penang,” 17; Buckley, Anecdotal History, 205.
9. Cowan, “Early Penang,” 18.
10. Cowan, “Early Penang,” 14.
11. C. M. Turnbull, “Malaysia: The Nineteenth Century,” South East Asia: Colonial History, ed. Paul H. Kratoska (London: Routledge, 2001), 243. (Call no. RSING 959 SOU)
12. Andrew Barber, Penang under the East India Company 1786–1858 (Malaysia: AB&A, 2009), 145. (Call no. RSEA 959.51 BAR); Cowan, “Early Penang,” 14.
13. Turnbull, “Malaysia: The Nineteenth Century,” 243.
14. Marjorie Doggett, Characters of Light (Singapore: Times Books International, 1985), 125. (Call no. RSING 722 4095957 DOG)
15. Doggett, Characters of Light, 125.



The information in this article is valid as of March 2021 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic. 


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Ladies Lawn Tennis Club

ARTICLE

The Ladies Lawn Tennis Club in Singapore was established in 1884. The club gained popularity soon after it was formed, but membership started falling by the 1920s and it was eventually closed in 1932. The Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) took over the club’s grounds in Dhoby Ghaut in 1933....

Spring Street

ARTICLE

Spring Street, a one-way road in Chinatown, connects the junction of South Bridge Road and Neil Road to Banda Street. A water source used to be located here from which water was drawn and transported by bullock carts to different parts of Chinatown. ...

Kampong Java Road

ARTICLE

Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus. ...

Chin Chew Street

ARTICLE

Chin Chew Street, in Chinatown, connects South Bridge Road and China Street. An Indian residential area in the 1820s, it later became synonymous with the samsui women who made this street their home in the early 20th century. ...

Philip Jackson

ARTICLE

Lieutenant Philip Jackson (b. 24 September 1802, Durham, England–d. 1879) was an officer in the Bengal Regiment Artillery, and served as Assistant Engineer, Executive Officer and Surveyor of Public Lands in colonial Singapore. An accomplished surveyor and draughtsman, Jackson produced a number of important maps, including one of the earliest...

Banda Street

ARTICLE

Banda Street is a one-way road in Chinatown connecting Sago Street to Dickenson Hill Road. It was probably named after the Indonesian cities of Banda Aceh (Aceh) in Sumatra or Banda Besar in Molucca Islands. ...

Outram Road

ARTICLE

Outram Road begins at the junction of Kim Seng Road and Havelock Road, and ends at the junction of Cantonment Road and New Bridge Road. It was named in 1858 after James Outram (Sir), in honour of his heroic role in the 1857 Indian mutiny....

Hoo Ah Kay

ARTICLE

Hoo Ah Kay (also known as Whampoa) (b. approx 1816, Whampoa, Guangdong, China–d. 27 March 1880, Singapore) was a prominent Chinese businessman who ran Whampoa & Co., expanding it after the death of his father. With an uncommon mastery of English, Hoo became the first and only Chinese to be...

New Bridge Road

ARTICLE

New Bridge Road is a one-way street that begins from the Coleman Bridge on the south of the Singapore River and ends at the junction of Eu Tong Sen Street and Kampong Bahru Road. ...

Straits Settlements

ARTICLE

The Straits Settlements, comprising Penang, Malacca and Singapore, was an administrative unit of the East India Company (1826–1867) and later the British Colonial Office (1867–1946). It was formed in 1826 as a presidency under the administration of the East India Company in India. The Cocos-Keeling Islands, Christmas Island and Labuan...