Hoo Ah Kay

Singapore Infopedia


Hoo Ah Kay (also known as Whampoa)1 (b. approx 1816, Whampoa, Guangdong, China–d. 27 March 1880, Singapore2) was a prominent Chinese businessman who ran Whampoa & Co., expanding it after the death of his father. With an uncommon mastery of English,3 Hoo became the first and only Chinese to be an extraordinary member in the Executive Legislative Council.4 He took the Oaths of Members of the Legislative Council on 23 May 1870.5 He served as the honorary treasurer of the first Committee of Management of Tan Tock Seng Hospital in 1844.6 He was also noted for entertaining diners at his Whampoa home (renamed Bendemeer House when the property was sold to Seah Liang Seah after Hoo’s death) and his fascinating Whampoa Gardens.7 In 2013, Hoo’s great-granddaughter, Madam Hoo Miew Oon, donated some of his antiques to the new heritage museum at the Singapore Botanic Gardens.8

Early Life
Hoo was born in Huangpo (Whampoa), near Canton (Guangdong, China).9 He arrived in Singapore in 1830, as a 15-year-old eager to work for his father.10 

Hoo's father had set up a provision shop located at the junction of Bonham Street and Boat Quay, supplying beef, bread and vegetables. Hoo inherited the business after his father's death.11 The company, Whampoa & Co., had adopted the name of his birthplace, and as Hoo grew in fame, the company’s name became synonymous with his own. By 1840, Whampoa & Co., then located at Telok Ayer, had established itself as a ship chandler to the British Royal Navy.12 There were only three other ship chandlers in 1854 – W.S. Duncan, John Steel & Co. and Mr Dare.13 Hoo’s fluency in English gave him an edge in business and social interaction and he gained business from Europe. However, these ventures brought him losses.14

One such unsuccessful business was Whampoa’s Ice House. It was an ice-house set up in 1854, close to Coleman Bridge at Boat Quay. The godown was constructed on land that had been part of the exchange for Whampoa’s Tanglin plantations15 where the Singapore Botanic Gardens16 now stands. The ice-house became a landmark of sorts with its Victorian wrought-iron balustrades. Although the ice trade under the initiative of American Frederick Tudor boomed in an age prior to refrigerators, the demand for ice proved too low for Whampoa’s business to succeed in Singapore. However, his bakery venture fared better. The bakery might have been opened in as early as 1853 at Havelock Road, and was reportedly still operating in the 1980s.17

Hoo held positions of Consul of Russia, China and Japan.18 When the Legislative Council was first formed in 1867, he was one of its Unofficial Members.19 In 1869, he became the first Asian member of the Legislative Council and within a few years was made an extraordinary member of the Executive Council, the first and only Chinese to have held this seat.20 On 10 May 1876, he received the honour of Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (C.M.G.) at a public investiture ceremony held by the Straits Settlements Governor.21 The honorary C.M.G. was bestowed upon him by Queen Victoria for his great contributions to society.22

The general public, however, knew Hoo for his Whampoa House at Serangoon Road23 with its expansive gardens.24 Whampoa’s Gardens, called Nam-sang-Fa-un in Cantonese,25 was opened to the public during Chinese New Year and was a popular place for gatherings during that season.26

Hoo passed away on 27 March 1880. In accordance with his personal wish for his resting place to be in China,27 his remains were shipped on 31 May 188028 and buried on Danes Island opposite Guangdong.29

Sons: Hoo Ah Yip, Hoo’s eldest son was educated in England and managed Whampoa & Co. for a time before he died shortly after. Hoo Keng Choong, his second son, had died early while his youngest son, Hoo Keng Tuck, who initially worked for Joaquim Bros. (now Allen & Gledhill), eventually took over the family business.30

Bonny Tan

1. Donald Davies, “Whampoa’s Showpiece of the Island,” Straits Times, 5 December 1954, 12. (From NewspaperSG)
2. Ray Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 23. (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS])
3. Song Ong Siang, One Hundred Years' History of the Chinese in Singapore (Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1984), 52. (Call no. RSING 959.57 SON-[HIS])
4. “Did You Know?” Straits Times, 25 September 2009, 108. (From NewspaperSG)
5. “Legislative Council,” Straits Times, 28 May 1870, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
6. Song, One Hundred Years' History of the Chinese, 52.
7. Song, One Hundred Years' History of the Chinese, 54, 55.
8. Melody Zaccheus, “Botanic Gardens Gets Pioneer’s Artefacts,” Straits Times, 29 October 2013, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
9. “Did You Know?”
10. “‘Whampoa’ Was the First of Singapore’s Towkays,” Straits Times, 13 March 1954, 9. (From NewspaperSG)
11. “The Chinese in Singapore,” Asiaweek 20, no. 11 (16 March 1994), 35. (Call no. RCLOS q950.05 A)
12. Song, One Hundred Years' History of the Chinese, 51.
13. Charles Burton Buckley, An Anecdotal History of Old Times in Singapore (Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1984), 373. (Call no. RSING 959.57 BUC-[HIS])
14. Buckley, Anecdotal History of Old Times, 659.
15. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 23.
16. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 178.
17. “Singapore Municipal Committee,” Straits Times, 17 May 1853, 5 (From NewspaperSG); Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 23.
18. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 22.
19. Buckley, Anecdotal History of Old Times, 659.
20. Song, One Hundred Years' History of the Chinese, 56.
21. D. J. M. Tate, Straits Affairs: The Malay World and Singapore: Being Glimpses of the Straits Settlements and the Malay Peninsula in the Nineteenth Century as Seen Through the Illustrated London News and other Contemporary Sources (Hong Kong: John Nicholson Ltd., 1989), 46. (Call no. RSING 959.57 STR-[HIS])
22. Ngiam Tong Hai, “Singapore’s First Ship Chandler,” Straits Times, 28 June 1977, 6. (From NewspaperSG)
23. Teo Han Wue, “Whampoa’s House of Splendour,” Straits Times, 7 June 1984, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
24. “The House That Hoo Built,” Straits Times, 19 October 1984, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
25. Song, One Hundred Years' History of the Chinese, 53.
26. Donald Moore and Joanna Moore, The First 150 Years of Singapore (Singapore: Donald Moore Press, 1969), 241 (Call no. RSING 959.57 MOO-[HIS]); Song, One Hundred Years' History of the Chinese, 53.
27. “‘Whampoa’ Was the First of Singapore’s Towkays.”
28. “Wednesday, 12th May,” Straits Times Overland Journal, 15 May 1880, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
29. Buckley, Anecdotal History of Old Times, 659.
30. Song, One Hundred Years' History of the Chinese, 56.

Further resources
Lim Phay-Ling, “Singapore's First Heroes,” Straits Times, 6 November 1983, 18. (From NewspaperSG)

Singapore Free Press, One Hundred Years of Progress: Centenary Number, October 8, 1935 (Singapore: Singapore Free Press, 1935), 4–5. (Call no. RRARE 959.59 SIN: microfilm NL3615)

Sumiko Tan, Streets of Old Chinatown: Singapore (Singapore: Page Media, 1990), 35. (Call no. RSING 959.57 TAN-[TRA])

The information in this article is valid as at August 2019 and correct as far as we can ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Gilstead Road


Gilstead Road, which connects Dunearn Road and Buckley Road, is lined with old residential units, some dating back to the 1920s....

Singapore Institution Library (1837–1844)


The Singapore Institution Library grew from a vision, by Sir Stamford Raffles, for an educated Singapore. Upon the founding of Singapore, one of Raffles’s early initiatives was the setting up of an institution of learning and along with it, the means to collect and preserve the treasures of the region....

Cross Street


Cross Street is a one-way street that begins from Raffles Quay. The street becomes Upper Cross Street after meeting South Bridge Road and ends at Havelock Road. Cross Street intersects with several historic streets in Singapore, such as Telok Ayer Street, Amoy Street, China Street, South Bridge Road, New Bridge...

Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system


The Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system is a rail network that is the backbone of Singapore’s public transport system. Officially launched in 1988, the MRT system currently comprises four main lines: North-South, East-West, North-East and Circle. Additional lines are in the process of construction. As of 2012, the rail network...

Land Transport Authority


The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is a statutory board under the Ministry of Transport in Singapore. First established in September 1995, it is responsible for planning, operating and maintaining Singapore’s land transport infrastructure and systems. ...

G. D. Coleman


G. D. (George Dromgold) Coleman (b. 1795, Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland–d. 27 March 1844, Singapore) was Singapore’s pioneer colonial architect. He became the first Government Superintendent of Public Works when he was appointed in 1833. Coleman planned, surveyed and built much of early Singapore, shaping the course of Singapore’s architectural...

Fort Canning Park


Fort Canning Hill, previously known as Bukit Larangan and Government Hill, is 156 ft high and located at the junction of Canning Rise and Fort Canning Road. It has been a landmark since Singapore’s earliest recorded history. In the 14th century, it was likely the site of a palace whose...

Whiteaway Laidlaw


Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900. Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before...

Coleman Street


Coleman Street stretches from Armenian Street to St Andrew’s Road. It was named after George D. Coleman, the first architect in Singapore, who was also overseer of convict labour, superintendent of public works and topographical surveyor. In 1829, Coleman built his personal residence at 3 Coleman Street, which was later...

Mohamed Sultan Road


Mohamed Sultan Road stretches from the junction of Saiboo Street and Martin Road to River Valley Road. The road is home to several conserved shophouses and national monuments like the Hong San See temple. The area was once a street of busy night spots as it was a popular district...