Mohamed Sultan Road

Singapore Infopedia


Mohamed Sultan Road stretches from the junction of Saiboo Street and Martin Road to River Valley Road. The road is home to several conserved shophouses and national monuments like the Hong San See temple. The area was once a street of busy night spots1 as it was a popular district for nightlife activities, with clubs, pubs and restaurants.2

The street was officially given its name in 1898.3 In the 1980s, the road was lined with derelict godowns.4 Shophouses and godowns were a necessary part of this trading infrastructure as goods that were taken from ships in Singapore Harbour had to be stored for redistribution.5 However, the history of many of the warehouses, factories and shophouses that lined this street had been lost to time. Little is known except that most of them were once purely homes to the residents of this area in pre-war Singapore. Many establishments were set up in the shophouses that had been gazetted for conservation. As part of the conservation, the façades of the shophouses are preserved and their interiors renovated and structurally reinforced.6 One of the key architectural features of the buildings along Mohamed Sultan road is “the corner façade treatment which has a roof pediment with decorative moulded plaster festoons”.7

Mohamed Sultan Road became known for its nightlife activities when the bar, Front Page, first opened along this road in 1991.8 Since then, many bars and pubs began to occupy the conserved shophouses. In 2002, Mohamed Sultan Road was a hive of nightlife activity with up to 19 bars and clubs.9 However, after the introduction of no-parking zigzag lines in November 2003, patron numbers started dwindling. As a result many of the bars and pubs moved out.10

Key features

Walking along the road one can see commercial or residential properties such as the Seng Kee Building, the Le Mercier House, Lam Ann Building and the Gainurn Building at the junction of River Valley Road and Mohamed Sultan Road. The Gainurn Bulding was built by C. K. Tang, and its name is a variation of his father’s name, Tan Gang Urn. The Lam Ann building, located next to the Hong San See temple, is owned by the Singapore Lam Association.11

The Hong San See temple on Mohamed Sultan Road was built between 1908 and 1912 as a replacement to the original 1829 Hong San See temple on Tras Street in Tanjong Pagar.12 Owned and managed by the Nan Ann Huay Kwan, the temple was used as a meeting place for immigrants from Nan Ann town in Fukien Province of China.13 It incorporated Taoist and Buddhist architectural styles and is a designated national monument since 1979.14 


Naidu Ratnala Thulaja & Aisyah Hamid

1. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 212. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
2. Mohamed Sultan Road, at Kim Yam Road: General View, 28 May 1995, photographa, Lee Kip Lin Collection, National Library Board. 
3. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Toponymics: A Study of Singapore Street Names (Singapore: Eastern Universities Press, 2003), 266. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
4. Tommy Koh et al., eds., Singapore: The Encyclopedia (Singapore: Editions Didier Millet and National Heritage Board, 2006), 356. (Call no. RSING 959.57003 SIN-[HIS])
5. “Nos. 72–13 Mohamed Sultan Road,” Urban Redevelopment Authority, accessed 24 October 2016.
6. Koh et al., Singapore: The Encyclopedia, 356.
7. Urban Redevelopment Authority, “Nos. 72-13 Mohammed Sultan Road.”
8. Koh et al., Singapore: The Encyclopedia, 356.
9. Gregory Leow, “Moham From Hip to Homey,” New Paper, 6 May 2006, 25. (From NewspaperSG)
10. Zul Othman, “Ghost Town,” Today, 5 November 2005, 46. (From NewspaperSG)
11. Tan Chun Wei, Lam Ann Building: General View, 27 October 2009, photograph, Little Red Dot Collection, National Library Board.   
12. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 251. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
13. “Hong San See,” National Heritage Board, accessed 24 October 2016.
14. Dhoraisingam S. Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage: Through Places of Historical Interest (Singapore: Dhoraisingam S Samuel, 2010), 124. (Call no. RSING 959.57 SAM-[HIS])

The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.





Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

High Street


High Street, located in the Downtown Core of the Central Region, stretches from Hill Street to North Bridge Road. Cleared from part of the jungle near the shore in 1819, it was the first street laid out in Singapore. The short street is appropriately named as it sits on high...

Lady Mary Wood


Lady Mary Wood was a 49-metre long paddle wheel steamer launched in 1841 and registered in 1842. It is said to be named after the wife of Charles Wood, who was England’s secretary to the Admiralty. The steamer had a gross tonnage of 556 and horsepower of 250. In...

The Weekend Car Scheme


The Weekend Car (WEC) scheme was introduced on 1 May 1991. Two revamped versions of the WEC scheme were subsequently introduced, namely the Off-Peak Car (OPC) Scheme from 1 October 1994 and the Revised Off-Peak Car (ROPC) Scheme from 25 January 2010. These schemes offered new and existing car owners...

Orchard Road Market


Built in 1891, the Orchard Road Market used to occupy the site where Orchard Point is located today. A fair selling fresh produce, it was known to sell the freshest goods at higher prices compared to other markets in Singapore. The market was torn down by the Urban Redevelopment Authority...

Hotel de la Paix


Hotel de la Paix was established in 1865, making it one of the earliest hotels to be set up in Singapore. It operated from Coleman House, the former personal residence of Singapore’s first superintendent of public works, G. D. Coleman (George Dromgold Coleman), at 3 Coleman Street. It was billed...

Singapore Library (1845–1874)


The Singapore Library, which grew out of the Singapore Institution Library, was established on 22 January 1845 as a library for the residents of Singapore. Initially occupying the north wing of the Singapore Institution (later renamed Raffles Institution), it was the first public library in Singapore. The library was a...

McAlister & Co. Ltd


McAlister & Co. was founded in 1857 by two Scots: Alexander McAlister and James Parker Niven, who saw the opportunity to set up a trading partnership in Singapore. During its initial years, the partnership was involved in general trade and Australian pearling. It was incorporated as a limited liability company...

Bendemeer House


Located off Serangoon Road, Bendemeer House was formerly called the House of Whampoa or Whampoa House. It was a mansion designed and built in 1840 by Hoo Ah Kay (better known as Whampoa), a Kapitan China (“leader of the Chinese people”) of Singapore. In 1964, the government acquired the historic...

Mount Sophia


One of the few remaining hills in Singapore, Mount Sophia, located in the Rochor area in the Central Region was an important inner city residential district for the middle and upper classes at the turn of the 19th century. Early residents included William Flint, who was appointed by Stamford Raffles...

Walter Makepeace


Walter Makepeace (b. 22 December 1859, Coventry, England–d. 1941) was a journalist and editor of The Singapore Free Press. He was also active in numerous local organisations in Singapore and is best remembered for co-editing One Hundred Years of Singapore, the colony’s official history commissioned to commemorate Singapore’s centenary in...