Orchard Road Market



Singapore Infopedia

Background

Built in 1891, the Orchard Road Market, known colloquially as “Tang Leng Pa Sat” or “Tanglin Pa Sat”, used to occupy the site where Orchard Point is located today.1 The Orchard Road Market was known to sell the freshest goods at higher prices compared to other markets in Singapore,2 which was attributed to its wealthier European clientele.3 The market was torn down by the Urban Redevelopment Authority and replaced by Orchard Point in 1982. Its stalls were resettled in Cuppage Centre in 1978.4

History
The site where the Orchard Road Market once stood was part of William Cuppage’s estate of Emerald Hill by 1837. Cuppage’s son-in-law, lawyer Edwin Koek, purchased the estate after Cuppage’s death in 1872. The original structure on the site was called Koek’s Market and consisted of a small, open wooden construction with a zinc roof. Soon after its completion in 1880, it was leased to the municipal authorities and became known as Orchard Road Municipal Market. In 1890, the municipality purchased the land. Having been found inadequate, the building was then demolished and a new one built in its place by the municipality in 1891.5

Known as Orchard Road Municipal Market in the early days, the new market originally only had one wing.6 In 1910, an additional wing and a concrete frontage were added.7 As the area was prone to flooding, the structure was raised a few years later. In 1930, a second building was constructed in front of the existing one at a cost of $25,000. A proposal to rebuild the market into a two-storey building in 1950 was rejected by the Municipal Commissioners as it was deemed not urgent, although repair works were approved.8 The renovations and additions notwithstanding, the Orchard Road Market retained its original cast-iron structure into the 1970s.9

A six-metre-tall cast-iron fountain made in Glasgow, Scotland was once placed in front of the Orchard Road Market.10 It originally stood in the centre of Telok Ayer Market (today’s Lau Pa Sat), but was relocated to Orchard Road Market in 1902.11 The fountain, which had once disappeared from public view but was later discovered and restored, was moved to the courtyard of Raffles Hotel.12 As of 2020, the fountain still stands in the recently refurbished hotel’s Palm Garden.13

After the Urban Redevelopment Authority’s plan to transform the Orchard area into a shopping, hotel and entertainment hub was unveiled in 1978, the site of the market was earmarked for redevelopment into a multi-storey, air-conditioned complex. In the same year, stalls from the market were resettled into a new building called Cuppage Centre, built in 1975 for housing hawker and market stalls in the vicinity.14 On 30 September 1995, the market in Cuppage Centre closed permanently to make way for office and retail space, with most stallholders opting to give up their licences.15



Author
Marsita Omar



References
1. Ray K. Tyers, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now, with revisions and updates by Siow Jin Hua (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 164 (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS]); Stephen Sim, “Singapore Streets Have Nicknames,” Straits Times, 29 September 1949, 8; Jackie Sam, “Orchard Road in Retrospect,” Singapore Monitor, 21 October 1884, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
2. Florence Tan, “Market That Pleases,” New Nation, 15 November 1975, 7; Rav K. Dhaliwal and Florence Tan, “Where the Cheaper Markets Are,” New Nation, 12 January 1974, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
3. “Don’t Aid the Black Market,” Singapore Free Press, 19 May 1947, 4; “Price Chief Flays Orchard Road Market ‘Ring’,” Malaya Tribune, 5 June 1948, 1; “2 Reasons for High Food Prices,” Singapore Standard, 30 March 1951, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
4. Tyers, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 162, 164; “‘New Look’ Plan by URA for Orchard Rd,” Straits Times, 2 December 1978, 13. (From NewspaperSG)
5. Tyers, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 164; Lee Kip Lin, Emerald Hill: The Story Of A Street in Words and Pictures (Singapore: National Museum, 1984), 4 (Call no. RSING 959.57 LEE-[HIS]); Lily Kong, Conserving the Past, Creating the Future: Urban Heritage in Singapore (Singapore: Urban Redevelopment Authority, 2011), 140. (Call no. RSING 363.69095957 KON); Sam, “Orchard Road in Retrospect.”
6. Gretchen Liu, Singapore: A Pictorial History 1819–2000 (Singapore: Archipelago Press in association with the National Heritage Board, 1999), 129 (Call no. RSING 959.57 LIU-[HIS]); Tyers, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 164.
7. Archives & Oral History Department and Sin Chew Jit Poh, Singapore Retrospect through Postcards, 1900–1930 (Singapore: Sin Chew Jit Poh and Archives and Oral History Department, 1982), 72. (Call no. RSING 769.4995957 SIN)
8. “$250,000 Market Plan Shelved,” Singapore Free Press, 21 September 1950, 5; “Plan for Two-floor Market Rejected,” Straits Times, 21 September 1950, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
9. Tyers, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 162, 164.
10. Gretchen Liu, Raffles Hotel (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1992), 212. (Call no. RSING 647.94595701 LIU)
11. Liu, Singapore: A Pictorial History, 129; Liu, Raffles Hotel, 212.
12. Liu, Raffles Hotel, 212; “Raffles Hotel,” National Heritage Board, accessed 26 April 2021.
13. Wong Ah Yoke, “Suite Staycation: Make a Date with Raffles Hotel, the Grand Old Dame of Singapore,” Straits Times, 30 August 2020.
14. “‘New Look’ Plan by URA for Orchard Rd”; Wong Ai Kwei, “How the Cuppage Road Area Was Reborn,” Straits Times, 25 January 1985, 12. (From NewspaperSG)
15. Lee Yee Hwa, “Most Cuppage Road Market Stallholders to Give Up Licences,” Straits Times, 27 September 1995, 35. (From NewspaperSG)



Further resources
Francis Dorai and Jessie Yak, “Party Time at the Raffles,” BiblioAsia 12, no. 4 (Jan–Mar 2017).



The information in this article is valid as at April 2021 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Tuas

ARTICLE

Tuas is an area located in the southwestern region of Singapore. Landmarks in the district include the Tuas Industrial Estate, Second Link and Tuas Naval Base. The construction of the megaport known as Tuas Terminal is currently underway and expected to be completed in the 2020s....

Sungei Road

ARTICLE

Sungei Road begins at the junction of Selegie Road and Serangoon Road and runs parallel to Rochor Canal Road. Translated literally, Sungei Road means “River Road”, a reference to the Rochor River that flows alongside the road. From the 1930s to 1980s, the road was synonymous with Thieves Market, a...

MacRitchie Reservoir

ARTICLE

Situated off Lornie Road and completed in the late 1860s, MacRitchie Reservoir was the first water supply system implemented in Singapore. The Impounding Reservoir or Thomson Road Reservoir, as it was originally called, came about through the donation of S$13,000 by philanthropist Tan Kim Seng in 1857. The reservoir...

Phillip Street

ARTICLE

Phillip Street (or Philip Street) is a short one-way street in Chinatown that connects Chulia Street to Church Street. It was named either after William Edward Phillip, the governor of Penang (1820–26) or after Charles Phillip, the superintendent of the Sailors’ Home....

Read Bridge

ARTICLE

Read Bridge is a beam structured bridge that straddles the central part of the Singapore River. The bridge was officially opened by then Governor Cecil Clementi Smith on 18 April 1889....

Raffles Place

ARTICLE

Raffles Place is a commercial space that includes buildings such as the Arcade, Clifford Centre, Straits Trading, Hong Kong Bank and OCBC Building – all situated within five minutes’ walking distance of one another. ...

Eu Tong Sen Street

ARTICLE

Eu Tong Sen Street begins from a stretch of road formed by the meeting of two roads, Jalan Bukit Merah and Kampong Bahru Road, and ends at the junction of Hill Street, Fort Canning Rise and Coleman Street. An artery of the Chinatown hub and a shopping haven, the street...

Havelock Road

ARTICLE

Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, goes down along and almost parallel to the Singapore River, and stretches until Eu Tong Sen Street before it opens into Upper Pickering Street. Havelock Road was named by...

Pulau Palawan

ARTICLE

Pulau Palawan is an islet lying off the southern coast of Sentosa Island. Originally a reef called Terembu Palawan, its name was changed to Pulau Palawan after it was reclaimed. Pulau Palawan is not physically connected to Sentosa, and should not to be mistaken for the man-made sandy islet which...

Cavenagh Bridge

ARTICLE

Cavenagh Bridge is located across the Singapore River in the Central Region. It is named after William Orfeur Cavenagh, the last governor of the Straits Settlements (1859–67) under British India control. The bridge, completed in 1869, is the oldest bridge across the Singapore River. It was the last major work...