Marshall Road

Singapore Infopedia


Marshall Road, located in Katong, runs parallel to Ceylon Road and connects Pennefather Road to East Coast Road. After its junction with Fowlie Road, it becomes a one-way road leading away from East Coast Road. It was named in 1934 after Captain H. T. Marshall, the first Chairman of the Municipal Commission in 1856.1

The road was known as Lorong 201 East Coast before being renamed Marshall Road in 19342 after Captain H. T. Marshall, who was appointed the first Chairman of the Municipal Commission in 1856. Captain Marshall was also a member of the Chamber of Commerce and Superintendent of the Peninsular & Orient Steam Navigation company Limited until 1859.3

Along with Ceylon Road, Marshall Road defines the western boundary of Joo Chiat. The eastern part of Singapore was first opened up by European plantation owners in the 1820s.4 Although it is now a relatively quiet residential area, there were many street hawkers plying the street in the 19th and the early 20th centuries. The Joo Chiat area was predominantly inhabited by Eurasians, Europeans and Peranakans from the early days. Parts of Joo Chiat including Marshall Road had a significant Peranakan presence. There was a distinct Peranakan flavour as the road used to be lined with Peranakan-styled shophouses and terrace houses.5 Some of these two-storey shophouses still exist today.6 However, the number of Peranakans on this street has dwindled as many of them had moved to other parts of Singapore since the 1970s.7

St Hilda’s Church and Sri Senpaga Vinayagar Temple are adjacent to each other and flanked by Ceylon Road and Marshall Road with their main entrances facing Ceylon Road.8 The road is lined with Peranakan-styled houses and is also home and part art gallery to Cultural Medallion Recipient, Teo Eng Seng.9 Sadhu Vaswani Centre, a meeting place for North Indians particularly Sindhis, lights up each Deepavali to add to the vibrancy of this street.10


Naidu Ratnala Thulaja

1. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 206. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
2. “Identities for the Siglap Lorongs,” Straits Times, 8 March 1934, 19. (From NewspaperSG)
3. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 206.
4. Lily Kong and T. C. Chang, Joo Chiat: A Living Legacy (Singapore: Joo Chiat Citizens’ Consultative Committee in association with National Archives of Singapore, 2001), 21. (Call no. RSING 959.57 KON-[HIS])
5. Eunice Low, et al., Life in Katong (Singapore: National Library Board, 2002), 4. (Call no. RCLOS 959.57 LIF-[HIS])
6. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 291. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
7. Kong and Chang, Joo Chiat, 97.
8., Marshall Road (Secondary Road), map, accessed 16 June 2016.
9. Leong Weng Kam, “Home Is Where the Art Is,” Straits Times. 17 July 2008, 53. (From NewspaperSG)
10. Arti Mulchand, “(East) India Company,” Straits Times, 14 November 2001, 4. (From NewspaperSG)

The information in this article is valid as at May 2020 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Eu Tong Sen Street


Eu Tong Sen Street begins from a stretch of road formed by the meeting of two roads, Jalan Bukit Merah and Kampong Bahru Road, and ends at the junction of Hill Street, Fort Canning Rise and Coleman Street. An artery of the Chinatown hub and a shopping haven, the street...

Jurong Island


Located off the southwestern coast of Singapore, Jurong Island is a manmade island formed through successive land reclamation works that joined up several offshore islands, namely Pulau Ayer Chawan, Pulau Ayer Merbau, Pulau Merlimau, Pulau Pesek, Pulau Pesek Kechil (also called Terumbu Pesek), Pulau Sakra (merged earlier from Pulau Sakra...

Senoko Fishing Port


Senoko Fishing Port, located at the northern end of Singapore in Woodlands, was officially opened on 6 December 1997. The 3.24-hectare port has the capacity to manage up to 20 tonnes of fish a day. ...

Jalan Besar


Officially named in the 1880s, “Jalan Besar” literally means “big or wide road” in Malay. The road began as a track through a betel nut and nipah plantation. It was subsequently developed into a major road, along which communities resided and worked. Jalan Besar has been gazetted as a conserved...

Fullerton Building


The former Fullerton Building was one of the most important landmarks in the Civic District. The building is located at 1 Fullerton Square in the Downtown Core of the Central Region. It sits partially on the site of the former Fort Fullerton. After Fort Fullerton was demolished, the site was...

Old Hill Street Police Station


The Old Hill Street Police Station (formerly known as the MICA Building), home to the Ministry of Communications and Information and the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, is a colonial landmark located at the junction of River Valley Road and Hill Street. It officially opened in 1934, and was...

Penang Road


Penang Road begins as an offshoot from Orchard Road and ends at the junction of Somerset Road and Killiney Road. It was named after a northeastern city in Peninsular Malaysia. Landmarks along the road include the House of Tan Yeok Nee, the Singapore Shopping Centre, Winsland House and Oxley House....

Kallang Gasworks


Constructed in 1862 by the Singapore Gas Company, Kallang Gasworks was the first site dedicated to the manufacture of gas from coal for street lighting. In 1901, this function was taken over by the Municipal Commissioners, and gas production was expanded for industrial and home use. Kallang Gasworks was decommissioned...

St James Power Station


Located on Keppel Road near the entrance to the island of Sentosa, St James Power Station was a coal-fired power station built by the British between 1924 and 1927. The power station was decommissioned in 1976 as it was unable to meet Singapore’s rising demand for electrical power. The building...



Kallang is bounded by the northeastern boundary of the Central Area, the Central Expressway, the Pan Island Expressway, the proposed Kallang Expressway, Mountbatten Road and the East Coast Parkway. It covers nine subzones and a total area of 920.7 ha. Some of Singapore’s earliest settlers lived in Kallang. They were...