Kallang Gasworks

Singapore Infopedia

by Tan, Bonny


Constructed in 1862 by the Singapore Gas Company, Kallang Gasworks was the first site dedicated to the manufacture of gas from coal for street lighting. In 1901, this function was taken over by the Municipal Commissioners, and gas production was expanded for industrial and home use. Kallang Gasworks was decommissioned in March 1998 and its function was taken over by Senoko Gasworks.1

Early history
The Singapore Gas Company was formed in London in 1861 when permission was obtained from the Municipal Commissioners to provide gas lighting for Singapore’s streets.2 In 1862, the Kallang Gasworks was built to supply the first piped gas in Singapore to enable street lighting. Since its opening, the gasworks was under 24-hour surveillance, and guarded by Gurkhas. It was given the Hokkien nickname huay sia, or "fire city", because of superstitious fears that it might explode.3

The Singapore Gas Company primarily serviced street lighting until 1901 when the Municipal Commission took over the responsibility. Between 1901 and 1930, coal carbonising plants were installed; these were in use until 1958. Kallang Gasworks’ original function of providing gas for street lamps became less important when electricity was used for street lighting in 1906, with the last gas street lamp disappearing in 1956. In 1958, coal was replaced by fuel oil, and new oil gasification plants were built in Kallang Gasworks.4

Modern gas works
In 1951, Singapore achieved city status and the Municipal Commission was renamed the City Council.5 On 1 May 1963, the Public Utilities Board (PUB) was constituted, taking over the responsibilities of gas, electricity and water services.6 By 1975, Kallang Gasworks was operating eight plants, which reformed either naphtha or heavy fuel oil to produce gas.7 In the 1980s, there was competition between bottled gas and piped gas.8 On 1 October 1995, the gas and electricity operations of PUB were corporatised and undertaken by Singapore Power Pte Ltd. A Regulation Department was also set up to ensure the safe and reliable provision of piped gas supply.9

Plans to develop Kallang Basin led to announcements that the Kallang Gasworks would be phased out. In September 1994, a ground-breaking ceremony was held at Senoko to mark the commencement of a new gasworks to replace the Kallang site.10

In July 1997, piped gas production operation was relocated to the S$240-million Senoko Gasworks. It had a daily production capacity of 1.6 million cu m, 45 percent more than Kallang Gaswork's capacity at 1 million cu m.11

The Kallang site was officially “retired” on 23 March 1998 after having produced gas uninterruptedly for more than 130 years, except for short breaks during the two world wars. On 26 March, three days later, the Kallang Gasworks site was opened to the public for the first and only time before it was finally returned to the government.12


Bonny Tan 

1. “Page 16/17 Advertisements Column 1,” Straits Times, 24 April 2011, 16–17 (From NewspaperSG); “Milestones and Accolades,” City Energy, accessed 5 May 2017.
2. Ray Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 202 (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS]); “Untitled – Gas,” Straits Times, 17 August 1861, 1; “Europe – A Cas Company for Singapore,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1835—1869), 22 May 1862, 4; “Municipal Council – Gas,” Straits Times, 14 June 1862, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
3. Joanne Lee, “Farewell to Kallang’s Blue Tin Can,” Straits Times, 24 March 1998, 34. (From NewspaperSG)
4. Public Utilities Board, Singapore, Public Utilities Board, Singapore (Singapore: Public Relations Division, 1982), 8 (Call no. RSING 354.59570087 PUB); Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 202; Municipal Enterprise at Singapore,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884—1942), 31 January 1901, 2; Untitled,” Straits Times, 17 February 1923, 8; “Our Gas Industry,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884—1942), 26 October 1926, 3; “Piped Gas,” Straits Times, 1 May 1988, 2 (From NewspaperSG); “Page 16/17 Advertisements Column 1.”
5. “King Grants City Status to Singapore,” Straits Times, 24 July 1951, 3; “Bill to Make City Changes,” Straits Times, 12 October 1951, 5. (From NewspaperSG)
6. “Dr Fong Heads Utilities Board,” Straits Times, 3 May 1963, 4 (From NewspaperSG); Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 202.
7. “New Gas Plants Will Cut Down Kallang Pollution,” Straits Times, 24 July 1975, 7 (From NewspaperSG); Public Utilities Board, Singapore, Public Utilities Board, Singapore, 17, 18.
8. Ronnie Lim, “Battle for Cooking Gas Market Hots Up,” Straits Times, 20 February 1986, 9; “No Piped Gas for Five New Housing Board Estates,” Business Times, 22 June 1984, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
9. Public Utilities Board, Singapore, Annual Report (Singapore: Public Utilities Board, 1995), 3, 23. (Call no. RCLOS 354.59570087 SPUB)
10. “New Development Soon at Kallang,” Straits Times, 8 March 1997, 30; Trudy Lim, “Mall That Links Three Waterfronts,” New Paper, 16 December 1988, 20 (From NewspaperSG); Public Utilities Board Personnel Department, Singapore, Annual Report (Singapore: Personnel Department, 1994), 10, 16. (Call no. RCLOS 354.59570087 SPUBPD-[AR])
11. Lee, “Farewell to Kallang’s Blue Tin Can”; Carol Eng, “S’pore Power Eyes Existing Projects in Region,” Business Times, 24 March 1998, 2; Tan Hsueh Yun, “Senoko Gasworks Will Keep More Home Fires Burning,” Straits Times, 8 March 1997, 30. (From NewspaperSG)
12. Eng, “S’pore Power Eyes Existing Projects in Region”; Lee, “Farewell to Kallang’s Blue Tin Can.”

The information in this article is valid as at 2018 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Eu Tong Sen Street


Eu Tong Sen Street begins from a stretch of road formed by the meeting of two roads, Jalan Bukit Merah and Kampong Bahru Road, and ends at the junction of Hill Street, Fort Canning Rise and Coleman Street. An artery of the Chinatown hub and a shopping haven, the street...

Raffles Town Plan (Jackson Plan)


The Raffles Town Plan, also known as the Jackson Plan, refers to Stamford Raffles’s plan for the town of Singapore formulated in late 1822. Lieutenant Philip Jackson drew up a plan according to Raffles’s vision and the resultant plan was published in 1828. The town plan focused on the downtown...

Battery Road


Battery Road is located in the central business district, stretching from Fullerton Square to the junction of Bonham Street and Chulia Street. One of the earliest roads in Singapore, many warehouses were set up on Battery Road by the Singapore River after it was constructed in the 1820s. Three- or...

Elephant statue


The “elephant statue” is a bronze monument located at the High Street entrance of the Old Parliament House (formerly known as the Old Court House) in the Downtown Core of Singapore’s Central Region. It was a gift from Thailand’s King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) to commemorate his visit to Singapore in...



Chinatown is an estate located largely in the Outram area in the Central Region of Singapore. In his 1822 master Town Plan, Sir Stamford Raffles allocated the whole area west of the Singapore River for a Chinese settlement known as the Chinese Campong (kampong in Malay means “village”), envisaging the...

Orchard Road Market


Built in 1891, the Orchard Road Market used to occupy the site where Orchard Point is located today. A fair selling fresh produce, it was known to sell the freshest goods at higher prices compared to other markets in Singapore. The market was torn down by the Urban Redevelopment Authority...

Kranji Memorials


The Kranji Memorials, located off Woodlands Road, about 22 km from the city, is made up of three cemeteries: the Kranji War Cemetery, the Kranji Military Cemetery and the State Cemetery. ...

Punggol reclamation


Punggol is situated in the northeast of Singapore, bordered by the Tampines Expressway, Sungei Punggol, Strait of Johor, Serangoon Harbour and Sungei Serangoon. The Punggol planning area as outlined by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) of Singapore also includes Coney Island (Pulau Serangoon). Under the Punggol 21 scheme, the old...

McCallum Street


McCallum Street is named after Henry Edward McCallum, who served as a colonial engineer in Singapore during the 1890s. In 1895, the new McCallum Street was declared a public street. Located in Singapore’s central business district, the street is lined with modern skyscrapers such as the Singapore Exchange, Tokio Marine...

Coleman Street


Coleman Street stretches from Armenian Street to St Andrew’s Road. It was named after George D. Coleman, the first architect in Singapore, who was also overseer of convict labour, superintendent of public works and topographical surveyor. In 1829, Coleman built his personal residence at 3 Coleman Street, which was later...