Nee Soon Road

Singapore Infopedia


Nee Soon Road runs between Sembawang Road and Springleaf Road.1 The road was named after a prominent rubber planter and merchant, Lim Nee Soon, in 1950.

Lim Nee Soon (b. 12 November 1879, Singapore–d. 20 March 1936, Shanghai, China) was a prominent businessman who owned several estates. He was a pioneer in rubber cultivation, had a large business in the pineapple industry and was a founder of the Overseas Assurance Corporation (OAC) and Overseas Chinese Bank (which later merged with Chinese Commercial Bank and Ho Hong Bank to form the Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation). Lim was also active in public affairs, being a co-founder of the Chinese High School, and serving as a Justice of the Peace and member of the Rural Board.2

Lim owned a large area of land along the Seletar River and in recognition for his contributions, the British government renamed the village Chan Chu Kang (also known as Jia Chui Kang) Nee Soon Village after him in 1930.3 In 1950, Nee Soon Road was officially named after him by the Rural Board to make postal services easier.4

Many roads in the vicinity of Nee Soon Road are named after Lim or his family members.However, instead of the name Nee Soon, its hanyu pinyin version, Yishun, is the more commonly used version nowadays. A statue of Lim graces the Yishun Town Park.6

In the past, there were religious buildings and schools along Nee Soon Road. One of them was the Ti Kong Toa (Tian Gong Tan), one of the oldest temples in the Nee Soon, or Yishun district. Another was the Feng Xian Dong Temple, which was built at the end of Nee Soon Road in 1956. The Seletar School, established by Lee Geok Lin within the premises of the Lee Rubber Factory in 1937, moved to its own building at the end of Nee Soon Road after the war. Another English school was set up in 1954 along this stretch of road, called the Nee Soon School.These establishments, however, are no longer present today.

In 2002, the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) decided to develop the area around Nee Soon Road into a public park with cycling or running trails. This was met with mixed responses from the area’s residents. Many preferred retaining the natural charm of this unassuming rural road.8 In the same year, the URA developed plans to realign the road through a new park near Sungei Seletar.9 However, these plans were shelved in 2003 due to environmental concerns.10

In 2014, Springleaf Nature Park was first of four new nature parks around the Central Catchment Area to be opened to the public. The six-hectare park is bounded by Nee Soon Road and Upper Thomson Road.11


Naidu Ratnala Thulaja

1., “Nee Soon Road,” map, accessed 20 May 2020.
2. Leo Suryadinata, ed., Southeast Asian Personalities of Chinese Descent: A Biographical Dictionary (Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2012), 649–51 (Call no. RSING 959.004951SOU); “Death,” Straits Times, 23 March 1936, 2 (From NewspaperSG); Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 267. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
3. Suryadinata, Southeast Asian Personalities of Chinese Descent, 650; Tan Ban Huat, “Man Behind Old Nee Soon Village,” Straits Times, 24 November 1987, 6; Goh Mei Yi, “Up in the North,” Straits Times, 30 May 2008, 109. (From NewspaperSG)
4. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 267.
5. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 267.
6. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 221. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
7. Oral History Department, Singapore, A Pictorial History of Nee Soon Community (Singapore: The grassroots organisations of Nee Soon Constituency, National Archives, Oral History Department, 1987), 54–55, 93, 100. (Call no. RSING 959.57 PIC)
8. Neo Hui Min, “Park vs Reserve: The Verdict Is Still Out,” Straits Times, 31 August 2002, 11. (From NewspaperSG)
9. “Urban Villages to Gain More Charm,” Straits Times, 2 August 2002, 15. (From NewspaperSG)
10. “Residents Say ‘No’ to Spas and Yoga Studios in Springleaf,” Straits Times, 23 January 2003, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
11. Feng Zengkun, “New Nature Park at Nee Soon Road and Upper Thomson Road Opens,” New Paper, 2 November 2014, 6–7; Feng Zengkun, “Go Birdwatching at New Nature Park,” Straits Times, 2 November 2014, 4. (From NewspaperSG);, “Nee Soon Road.”

The information in this article is valid as at August 2020 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Bidadari Cemetery


Bidadari Cemetery was located at the base of Mount Vernon and bounded by Bartley Road and Upper Serangoon Road. It served the Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Sinhalese communities. Bidadari was the main Christian cemetery of Singapore from its official opening in 1908 until its closure in 1972. Exhumation took place...

Mountbatten Estate


Mountbatten Estate is one of the five subzones in the Marine Parade area within Singapore’s Central Region. It spans a total area of 161 ha. It was named after Lord Louis Mountbatten, who later became Earl Mountbatten of Burma. Today, Mountbatten Estate is described as an area with a mix...

Kranji Memorials


The Kranji Memorials, located off Woodlands Road, about 22 km from the city, is made up of three cemeteries: the Kranji War Cemetery, the Kranji Military Cemetery and the State Cemetery. ...

Raffles Hotel


Raffles Hotel is a Singapore landmark located at No. 1 Beach Road. Established in 1887, the award-winning colonial-era hotel with a rich history is well known for its period architecture and decor, luxurious accommodation and fine cuisine. The hotel is particularly known for its popular Tiffin Room buffet and for...

Old racecourse (Farrer Park)


The old racecourse at Farrer Park, or the Serangoon Road Race Course, was built in 1842. The racecourse became a sports and recreational hub for Europeans and created employment for early settlers from Java and India. It also witnessed significant events, such as Singapore’s Centenary Day celebrations and the earliest...

Yan Kit Road


Yan Kit Road in Tanjong Pagar is a one-way street connecting Craig Road to Cantonment Road. It was named after a well-known dentist, Look Yan Kit. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Yan Kit Road was considered a relatively safe residential area compared with the surrounding roads which...

Outram Prison (Pearl’s Hill Prison)


One of Singapore’s earliest prisons was located at the foot of Pearl’s Hill in Outram. The original civil jail at the site was built in 1847 by Charles Edward Faber; in 1882, a new prison complex was built around the old civil jail by J. F. A. McNair. Originally known...

Fort Road


Fort Road, in the eastern part of Singapore connects Mountbatten Road to the East Coast Parkway, and connects to this expressway at the Tanjong Rhu Flyover. The road was named in the 1920s after the now demolished Fort Tanjong Katong. On the grounds of the fort presently stands Katong Park,...

Finlayson Green


Finlayson Green is the name of both a traffic island (a small raised area on a road which provides a safe place for pedestrians to stand, and acts as a divider that channels traffic flow) and a street in the Central Business District. The green lung served as a road...

Kallang Gasworks


Constructed in 1862 by the Singapore Gas Company, Kallang Gasworks was the first site dedicated to the manufacture of gas from coal for street lighting. In 1901, this function was taken over by the Municipal Commissioners, and gas production was expanded for industrial and home use. Kallang Gasworks was decommissioned...