Temple Street

Singapore Infopedia


Temple Street is a one-way street connecting South Bridge Road to New Bridge Road. Situated in the heart of Chinatown, the road runs parallel to Pagoda Street and Smith Street.1

Temple Street was originally called Almeida Street after Joaquim d’Almeida, who owned land at the junction of Temple Street and Trengganu Street.2 At the time, there were two other roads named after members of the d’Almeida family – D’Almeida Street at Raffles Place and Almeida Road near the former Mount Victoria, where the patriarch of the family, Jose d’Almeida, lived. In 1908, Almeida Street was renamed Temple Street after a fire brigade got confused between D’Almeida Street and Almeida Street.3

To avoid any further mix-up, Almeida Road was renamed Balmoral Road, while D’Almeida Street retained its name. Although some believe that Temple Street got its name from the Sri Mariamman Temple located at the junction of Temple Street and South Bridge Road,4 it is also probable that the road was named such due to the presence of many temples in the vicinity.5 Built in 1827, Sri Mariamman Temple is the oldest Hindu temple in Singapore.6

In the 19th century, the area around Temple Street was home to not only the Chinese but also Malays and Indians , which led to the presence of Muslim and Hindu places of worship nearby.7 Many Indians and Malays lived on the nearby Cross Street and Chulia Street.8

Until 1927, Temple Street was popular for Cantonese operas. Lai Chun Yuen Theatre, famed for its Cantonese operas, was located on nearby Smith Street,9 and surrounding streets were thus associated with it. Temple Street was also known as hei yuen hau kai, meaning “theatre back-street”.10

Tinsmith shops were another common sight at the area bound by Temple Street and Smith Street.11 In 1997, a part of Temple Street was converted into a pedestrian mall.12


Naidu Ratnala Thulaja

1. Mighty Minds Street Directory (Singapore: Angel Publishing Pte Ltd., 2015), 132 (Call no. RSING 912.5957 MMSD); “Old Shophouses Put to New Uses,” Straits Times, 29 April 1995, 46. (From NewspaperSG)
2. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown: An Album of a Singapore Community (Singapore: Times Books International, 1983), 89, 96 (Call no. RSING 779.995957 CHI); Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 486 (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA]); Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 382. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
3. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 28; “Page 8 Advertisements Column 1,” Straits Times, 4 March 1908, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
4. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 16, 28, 382; Ray Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 183. (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS])
5. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 307. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
6. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 406; Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown, 80; Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 183.
7. Chan Kwee Sung, “Chinatown’s Non-Chinese Legacy,” Straits Times, 21 May 2001. (From Factiva via NLB’s eResources website)
8. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown, 90, 97; Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 382.
9. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown, 88, 90, 97; Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 382.
10. Leong Weng Kam, “Opera Group Moves to Smith Street,” Straits Times, 28 March 1998, 63. (From NewspaperSG)
11. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown, 97; Margaret Sullivan, Can Survive, La’: Cottage Industries in High-Rise Singapore (Singapore: Graham Brash, 1993), 140–3. (Call no. RCLOS 338.634095957 SUL)
12. “Street Closed to Make Way for Pedestrian Mall,” Straits Times, 27 June 1997, 57. (From NewspaperSG)

The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we can ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Phillip Street


Phillip Street (or Philip Street) is a short one-way street in Chinatown that connects Chulia Street to Church Street. It was named either after William Edward Phillip, the governor of Penang (1820–26) or after Charles Phillip, the superintendent of the Sailors’ Home....

Dunearn Road


Dunearn Road starts at the junction of Clementi Road and Jalan Anak Bukit. The road runs parallel to Bukit Timah Road, with a canal separating the two long stretches of roads. Near Adam Road, the road divides to form the Dunearn underpass and the Farrer flyover. Towards the end, Dunearn...

Havelock Road


Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, goes down along and almost parallel to the Singapore River, and stretches until Eu Tong Sen Street before it opens into Upper Pickering Street. Havelock Road was named by...

Johnston's Pier


Johnston’s Pier was a jetty that once stood along Collyer Quay, opposite Fullerton Square and the Hong Kong Bank Building on Battery Road. Built to facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, it was completed on 13 March 1856. In its time, many famous dignitaries – including British royalty and...

Kranji Road


Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Kampong Java Road


Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus. ...

Kim Seng Road


Kim Seng Road was named after Peranakan philanthropist Tan Kim Seng. ...

Ophir Road


Ophir Road begins as an offshoot from Rochor Canal Road, and ends at Republic Boulevard at one point and East Coast Parkway at another point. It runs parallel to Rochor Road. Landmarks along the road include Raffles Hospital and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. ...

Whiteaway Laidlaw


Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900. Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before...

North Bridge Road


North Bridge Road is one of the earliest roads in Singapore. It runs through the downtown core and Rochor and Kallang areas in the central region. The road begins at Crawfurd Street and ends where Elgin Bridge crosses into South Bridge Road. ...