Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple

Singapore Infopedia


Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple, located on Waterloo Street, is a popular place of worship for devotees of Guan Yin, the Chinese goddess of mercy.1 Built in 1884, it is one of the oldest Buddhist temples in Singapore and a hallmark of late-19th-century Chinese temple courtyard architecture.2 The temple is known for its philanthropy.

Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple first started as a temple dedicated to the goddess of mercy, Guan Yin. Other deities found in the temple include Ta Ma Tan Shith (or Da Mu Tuo Shi), chief of the six Buddhist patriarchs; and Hua Tuo, a Han-dynasty doctor who is the Chinese patron saint of medicine.3

The temple underwent alterations and additions in 1895.4 It was demolished in the late 1970s5 and rebuilt in 1982 with the job commissioned to Tay & Yeo Architects.6 With the reconstruction, the temple doubled its former size. In 2001, the temple was declared a historic site by the National Heritage Board.7

During the Japanese Occupation of Singapore (1942–45), many came to the temple to seek refuge.8

Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple forms a part of a network of historically significant religious buildings in the Waterloo Street area, including the Church of Saints Peter and Paul on Queen StreetSri Krishnan Temple and the Maghain Aboth Synagogue.9 The Chinese temple is a hallmark of traditional Chinese temple courtyard architecture and is reflective of craftsmanship popular in the late 19th century. Following the reconstruction work in 1982, new features were added while some old ones were retained.10

In the old days, visitors to the temple entered through a recessed porch and screened anteroom which gave access to a large, covered courtyard. The courtyard then led to the main prayer hall where the three main deities – Guan Yin, Ta Ma Tan Shith and Hua Tuo – were kept on separate altars.11 Another altar with a large idol of Shakyamuni Buddha was kept in the rear hall.12

In the current structure, all the deities are placed within a single altar with the statue of Shakyamuni Buddha placed just behind that of Guan Yin. Though the positions of the main deities have been changed, other idols in the temple are kept in their old places.13 The current temple has two roofs at different heights. One enters the temple through a large gateway flanked by two smaller gates on either side. Yellow swastikas adorn the ends of the roof rafters. The ridges have simple curves with calligraphy or decorations denoting good omen.14 Another feature of the new temple is that there is no candle or incense burning inside the temple hall. The urn for offering incense is placed outside the temple hall to prevent the soot from staining the ceiling.15

Qian (divining sticks) – wooden sticks with writing on them – are placed in a brass can and shaken.16 The sticks that fall out are interpreted to foretell a person’s future. In 1990, the temple became the first temple in Singapore to provide divination slips with English translations for English-educated devotees and tourists.17

Most devotees visit the temple on the first and 15th days of the lunar calendar.18 However, the temple’s most festive period is the eve of Chinese New Year when the temple is kept open all night long. Thousands of devotees flock to the temple and the entire street fronting the temple is packed with worshippers waiting to offer incense to the goddess of mercy for an auspicious start to the year.19

Known for its philanthropic work, the temple is an active contributor to Singapore’s social, educational and arts sectors. The patron was awarded the Patron of the Arts in 2002 for its contributions to the Singapore arts scene.20

To help achieve the Association of Women and for Action and Research (AWARE)’s mission in eliminating gender barriers in Singapore, the temple has been providing funding for the association’s campaign and services since 1997.21 The temple was also lauded for reaching out to other ethnic groups when they donated to the Singapore Indian Education Trust, a self-help body that provides bursaries and scholarships for needy Indian students in 1995.22

In 2016, the temple donated S$5 million to the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA) Development Fund, which supports the school’s infrastructure and capability development. The donation was also used for acquisition of library resources and setting up of the Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple Student Relief Fund and the Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple Fellowship. In appreciation, NAFA has named its library the Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple Library.23

The temple is also a longtime donor of the National Kidney Foundation (NKF), having sponsored the setting up of two dialysis centres and footing their operating costs. In addition, it contributed S$15 million for the NKF’s free health-screening programme in 2000.24

Other activities
In 2006, the temple was chosen as one of the exhibition sites by artistic Director Fumio Nanjo and his curatorial team for Singapore’s first visual art biennale. Together with other venues including museums, religious spaces, public institutions and disused buildings, the temple was selected to give a local perspective of Singapore as a multireligious, multicultural society and to provide a historical context that reflects the relationship of architecture in the construction of beliefs.25


Naidu Ratnala Thulaja

1. G. Uma Devi, Singapore’s 100 Historic Places (Singapore: Archipelago Press, 2002), 111. (Call no. RSING 959.57 SIN-[HIS])
2. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 263. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
3. Uma Devi, Singapore’s 100 Historic Places, 111.
4. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 263.
5. Arthur Sim, “Kwan Im Temple Now a Historic Site,” Straits Times, 29 September 2001, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
6. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 263.
7. Sim, “Kwan Im Temple Now a Historic Site.” 
8. Sim, “Kwan Im Temple Now a Historic Site.” 
9. Uma Devi, Singapore’s 100 Historic Places, 111.
10. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 263.
11. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 263.
12. Uma Devi, Singapore’s 100 Historic Places, 111.
13. Uma Devi, Singapore’s 100 Historic Places, 111.
14. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 263.
15. Sim, “Kwan Im Temple Now a Historic Site.” 
16. Sim, “Kwan Im Temple Now a Historic Site.” 
17. Ho Sheo Be, “English Divination Slips in Two Chinese Temples,” Straits Times, 9 November 1993, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
18. Sim, “Kwan Im Temple Now a Historic Site.” 
19. Uma Devi, Singapore’s 100 Historic Places, 111.
20. “Arts Funds Poured into Infrastructure,” Business Times, 21 September 2002, 5. (From NewspaperSG)
21. “Our Sincere Thanks to Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple,” AWARE, accessed 4 January 2018.
22. S. Tsering Bahlla, ”Chinese Temple Helps Indian Student,” Straits Times, 16 February 1995, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
23. “Naming Ceremony of the Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple Library,” Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, accessed 4 January 2018. 
24. “Temple to Give $15M to NKF Vetting Project,” Straits Times, 8 April 2000, 63; Lee Hui Chieh, “Kidney Patients to Get Travel Subsidy,” Straits Times, 8 April 2009, 32. (From NewspaperSG)
25. “Singapore Biennale 2006 – Belief,” National Arts Council, accessed 4 January 2018.  

The information in this article is valid as at 2018 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Duxton Road


Duxton Road is a one-way street that connects Neil Road to Craig Road. Situated on Duxton Hill, this road was infamous in the 19th and early 20th centuries for its opium and gambling dens. ...

Samsui women


Samsui women, also known as hong tou jin (???; Mandarin for “red headscarf”) after their trademark red headgear, were female immigrants mainly from the Sanshui (“Samsui” in Cantonese; meaning “three waters”) district of Canton (Guangdong today) province in southern China. Other areas where they came from include Shunde and Dongguan,...



CHIJMES was originally known as the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus (CHIJ), which was a premier girls’ school established in 1854 by an order of French Catholic nuns. It was originally located within a self-contained city block bound by Victoria Street, Bras Basah Road, North Bridge Road and Stamford...

The Arts House (Old Parliament House)


The Arts House (also known as the Old Parliament House) is where the Singapore Parliament used to sit. Located at Empress Place, it was originally built as a residence in 1827. After a series of major alterations and additions, possibly only the arches inside the porch are all that remain...

Central Sikh Temple


The Central Sikh Temple, or Central Sikh Gurdwara as it is known to the Sikhs, is a place of worship for the Sikh community in Singapore. Established in 1912, it was previously known as the Queen Street Gurdwara Sahib, due to its former location on Queen Street. Currently located at...

Teutonia Club


The Teutonia Club was formally founded by seven German traders on 28 June 1856. It started with 21 members in a small building on North Bridge Road, near the present Raffles Hotel. Club membership was opened to Germans and German-speaking people. ...

Queen Street


Located in the Civic District, Queen Street is a one-way street that connects Arab Street to the junction of Stamford Road and Armenian Street. Named after Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, the street was part of the Eurasian enclave in Singapore’s past, and had...

Masonic Hall


The Masonic Hall at 23A Coleman Street is located near the Central Fire Station at the foot of Fort Canning Hill. Designed by Thomas A Cargill, a municipal engineer and a Freemason, the foundation stone of the Masonic Hall was laid in April 1879. The building was consecrated on 27...

McNair Road


McNair Road is a short stretch of road that lies adjacent to Towner Road, and is accessible via Balestier Road and Serangoon Road. It was named after Major John Federick Adolphus McNair (1828–1910), the first Colonial Engineer of Singapore. ...

Thian Hock Keng


Thian Hock Keng is Singapore’s oldest Hokkien temple. Located at 158 Telok Ayer Street, it is recognised as the most majestic Chinese temple in Singapore. It was designed and built in 1842 by skilled craftsmen from China according to traditional Chinese temple architectural style. The temple is managed by the...