Church of Saints Peter & Paul

Singapore Infopedia

by Tan, Joanna Hwang Soo


The Church of Saints Peter & Paul is located at 225A Queen Street. Built in 1870, the church is historically associated with the growth of the Chinese Catholic community in Singapore. The church building was gazetted a national monument in 2003.1

In the 1830s, a small chapel was erected at Bras Basah Road, on the site of the former St Joseph’s Institution (currently the Singapore Art Museum) to serve the religious needs of the Chinese Catholic community. The chapel soon proved too small for the growing number of worshippers. When the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd opened nearby in 1847, the chapel’s Chinese congregation joined worshippers there.2

Subsequently, with the growing needs of various linguistic groups, Father Pierre Paris, then overseeing the Chinese and Indian Catholics, made plans to build a new church. The Church of Saints Peter & Paul was thus built and completed in 1870.3 The church was named after St Peter, the leading apostle of Christ, and St Paul of Tarsus, known for his conversion to Christianity while travelling to Damascus. A prominent Chinese Catholic, Pedro Tan Neo Keah, contributed significantly to the construction of the church and also encouraged people to donate to the cause. Father Paris died in 1883 and his remains, together with those of another church founder, Father Adolphe Issaly, were interred at the church.4

The Church of Saints Peter & Paul was built in the tropical Gothic style, a popular architectural style during the colonial period in Singapore. The façade features the statues of St Peter and St Paul. Within the square belfry are three bronze bells installed by Father Paris that are still in use today.5 The bells were cast in Mans, France, and their rims decorated with engravings of Christ and the Virgin Mary.6 Inside the church, there are five stained glass windows made in France and installed around 1870. The glass panels feature, among other figures, the patron saints Peter and Paul, and St Joseph.7

By the 1860s, the original church had become too small, and was enlarged between 1891 and 1892 by Father F. Vignol. The expansion included the construction of three marble altars, a new transept and a sacristy.8 Between 1901 and 1902, extensions to the choir loft, porch and façade were paid for by Low Gek Seng and a prominent Chinese Catholic, Joseph Chan Teck Hee. At the same time, the original wooden columns were replaced with steel ones.9

A further expansion between 1910 and 1911 saw the decoration of the entrance porch and choir loft. Chan bought the land adjoining the church and built 11 houses in 1897, at his own cost, to accommodate widows, catechists and the aged. This became St Joseph’s House. He and Low bore the cost of the 1910–11 expansion.10

In 1915, the existing gas lighting was replaced with electric lights.11

In 1969, to mark its centenary the following year, the church underwent major renovation at an estimated cost of S$65,000.12

In 2001, the church underwent redevelopment work and undertook a fund-raising drive to raise an estimated S$7 million. The redevelopment saw the addition of a new parish building, a columbarium and an Adoration chapel.13

People and events
In 1928, the church received large groups of Chinese Catholic immigrants from Swatow seeking refuge from Communist persecution in China. In the same year, Monseigneur Emile Joseph Mariette, the Vicar of the church, was killed by a falling plank at the building worksite of the Church of St Teresa, which was then under construction.14

In 1941, the statue of St Peter was damaged by a mentally unstable man claiming to be the reincarnation of Christ. He was jailed on the charge of defiling a place of worship.15

In 1961, two long-serving parishioners of the church, Francis Heng Im Hock and Augustine Seet Kiam Koo, each received the Papal Medal from Pope John XXIII, the highest award given to laymen in recognition of meritorious service to the Pope and the Church. Heng had been the church organist from the age of 18, retiring in 1960 at age 81. Seet had served as church sacristan from the age of 15 and was still carrying out his duties at age 81, when he received the medal.16

Augustine Seet was from a family of loyal parishioners who had served the church for several generations. His father, Seet Twa Tee, was a dedicated catechist for 42 years, from 1883 to 1925. Augustine’s brother was Father Michael Seet, who in 1911 became the first Straits-born Chinese to be ordained a priest. Augustine’s son, Francis, continued the family tradition of serving as church sacristan.17

In the 1980s, the church was the venue for Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.18

Also known as the Queen Street Church, the church building was gazetted a national monument on 10 February 2003.19


Joanna HS Tan

1. “Centenary Joy of Church of St. Peter and Paul,” Straits Times, 23 June 1969, 7; “Queen Street church to Be Preserved,” Straits Times, 11 February 2003, 4. (From NewspaperSG); Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, Centenary Souvenir Magazine (Singapore: Church of St. Peter and Paul, 1970). (Call no. RCLOS 282.5957 CHU); History and Architecture,” Church of Sts Peter and Paul, accessed 2 December 2016.
2. Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, Centenary Souvenir Magazine, 28.
3. Walter Makepeace, Gilbert E. Brooke and Roland St. J. Braddell, One Hundred Years of Singapore, vol. 1 (Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1991), 247–48. (Call no. RSING 959.57 ONE-[HIS])
4. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 272. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA]); Eugene Wijeysingha and Rene Nicolas, Going Forth: The Catholic Church in Singapore 1819–2004 (Singapore: Nicholas Chia, 2006), 108–09, 119. (Call no. RSING 282.5957 WIJ-[SRN]); Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, Centenary Souvenir Magazine, 29.
5. Makepeace, Brooke and Braddell, One Hundred Years of Singapore, 247–48.
6. Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, Centenary Souvenir Magazine, 62.
7. Church of Sts. Peter & Paul, “History & Architecture. 
8. Makepeace, Brooke and Braddell, One Hundred Years of Singapore, 247–48; Wijeysingha and Nicolas, Catholic Church in Singapore, 108–09.
9. Makepeace, Brooke and Braddell, One Hundred Years of Singapore, 247–48; “Death of Mr J. Chan Teck Hee,” (1930, September 10). Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 10 September 1930, 167. (From NewspaperSG)
10. “Death of Mr J. Chan Teck Hee”; Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 272; Makepeace, Brooke and Braddell, One Hundred Years of Singapore, 247–48.
11. “Untitled,” (1915, December 21). Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 21 December 1915, 5. (From NewspaperSG)
12. Steven Lee, “Church of Saints Peter and Paul,” Straits Times, 11 February 2003, 4. Retrieved from NewspaperSG.
13. Church of Sts. Peter & Paul, “History & Architecture.”
14. “Death of the Rt. Rev Monseigneur E. J. Mariette’” Malayan Saturday Post, 17 March 1928. 20. (From NewspaperSG)
15. “Damaged Statue in Catholic Church: Chinese Sent to Prison.” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 27 June 1941, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
16. “Four Singapore Men Honoured By Pope,” Straits Times, 23 January 1961, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
17. Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, Centenary Souvenir Magazine, 58, 61, 64.
18. Anita Manning, “AA’ers Stay off the Bottle a Day at a Time,” Straits Times, 8 September 1985, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
19. “Queen Street church to Be Preserved”; Church of Sts. Peter & Paul, “History & Architecture.”

Further resource
Church of Sts Peter & Paul (Singapore), Rt Rev. Msgr Noel Goh sacerdotal golden jubilee, 1946–1996 (Singapore: Church of Sts Peter & Paul, 1996). (Call no. RCLOS 282.5957 RT)

The information in this article is valid as at 2010 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Former Supreme Court building


The former Supreme Court building was the seat of Singapore’s highest court from 1939 to 2005. It was located at St Andrew’s Road in an area spanning 5,110 sq m. Conceptualised by Frank Dorrington Ward, it was the last classical building constructed in Singapore between 1937 and 1939. The building...

Total Defence


Launched in 1984, the Total Defence concept involves the participation of every Singaporean in the collective effort of building a strong, secure and cohesive nation that is ready to deal with any crisis. It is a concept that takes into account the small size of Singapore as an island-state with...

Sri Temasek


Sri Temasek is a 19th-century bungalow designated as the prime minister’s official residence. It was formerly the residence of the colonial secretary. While the house has been unoccupied since 1959, it was used regularly for meetings and official social events during the 1960s and 1970s. The building deteriorated during a...

Maintenance of Parents Act


The Maintenance of Parents Act provides for Singapore residents aged 60 years old and above who are unable to subsist on their own, to claim maintenance from their children who are capable of supporting him but are not doing so. Parents can sue their children for lack of maintenance, in...

Frank Dorrington Ward


Frank Dorrington Ward (b. 17 April 1885, Hastings, England–d. 1972) was chief architect of the Public Works Department in the Straits Settlements from 1928 to 1939. Prominent landmarks designed by Ward include the former Kallang Airport terminal building, Clifford Pier, former Supreme Court building (now National Gallery Singapore), as well...

Former Victoria School building


The former Victoria School (VS) building is an architectural landmark on Tyrwhitt Road in Jalan Besar. The building initially housed the all-boys Victoria School (1933–1984) and later the Christ Church Secondary School (1985–2001) before serving as the People’s Association (PA) headquarters from 2009. Designed by architect Frank Dorrington Ward and...

The Republic of Singapore Yacht Club


The Republic of Singapore Yacht Club (RSYC) is a maritime recreational society and club for yachting enthusiasts. It was established in 1826, and is the oldest recreational or social club of any theme in Singapore. It is also the first yacht club in Asia. It was known as the Royal...

Former Kallang Airport building


The former Kallang Airport building is an architectural landmark located at 9 Stadium Link along Nicoll Highway. Kallang Airport, Singapore's first purpose-built civil airport, was opened on 12 June 1937 in the Kallang Basin area. The airport ceased operations following the opening of Paya Lebar Airport in 1955. However, the...

MacDonald House


Located not far from the Istana and the Cathay Building, MacDonald House has a relatively plain and nondescript facade. Completed in 1949, it was the first office building in Southeast Asia to be wholly air-conditioned, and was construed to symbolise optimism and confidence in postwar Singapore. The building is perhaps...

Little India riot


A riot that lasted about two hours erupted in Little India on Sunday, 8 December 2013, following a fatal traffic accident that had occurred along Race Course Road. Some 300 rioters took part in the unrest, which was the worst case of public violence in Singapore in over four decades....