Marsiling Road

Singapore Infopedia


Marsiling Road is a two-way street that links Woodlands Centre Road and Riverside Road.1

Marsiling Road was named after the residence of wealthy merchant Lim Nee Soon, Marsiling Villa. “Marsiling” is derived from Maxi village, Lim’s hometown in Chaozhou, Guangdong province, China.2

Early landmarks and residents
During the 19th century, the area around Marsiling Road was occupied by a few villages (kampongs). The landscape was covered mostly by gambier and rubber plantations.3 Kampong Lorong Fatimah, which used to be located northwest of Marsiling Road, was replaced by the extension of the Woodlands Checkpoint in 1989.4 Most of the residents in this kampong worked in factories nearby, while a minority, usually younger residents, held jobs in hotels and banks in the city.5 Kampong Lorong Fatimah was named after Fatimah Binte Haron, a former justice of the peace in Singapore, in recognition of her contributions. She built a surau – a small space designated for prayingin the kampong, and made frequent donations to charities.6

Marsiling Road was home to various industries. For example, the Metal Box Co. of Malaya, a factory capable of producing 120,000,000 pineapple cans per year, was sited near the intersection of Marsiling Road and Woodlands Road from 1949 until 1975.7 Also found on Marsiling Road is the factory of Lau Chong Kee Confectionery, a pioneer of machine-made mooncakes in Singapore.8 Supermarket chain Sheng Siong used to be headquartered at 3000 Marsiling Road till 2009, when it moved to Mandai Link Road.9 Seiko Instruments Singapore, a major overseas plant of Seiko, has been located in the Marsiling Industrial Estate since 1984.10

Other landmarks
Marsiling Road is known for its army camps, owing to its hilly terrain and proximity to Singapore’s northern border with Malaysia.11 Marsiling was one of the shooting locations for the 1983 Mandarin drama series,《新兵小传》(Army Series), by the Singapore Broadcasting Corporation.12

Schools along Marsiling Road include Woodlands Secondary School and Marsiling Secondary School. The Sri Siva Krishna Temple is located at the intersection of Marsiling Road and Marsiling Rise.13

In the latter half of the 20th century, Marsiling Road underwent massive development. On 30 November 1962, the People’s Association opened a rural community centre there as part of a pilot project to provide veterinary services for livestock breeders, as well as agricultural services for farmers.14 The Ministry of Culture also installed television sets at the centre, and screened films for the public’s free viewing.15 In June 1981, the Housing and Development Board (HDB) blocks located along Marsiling Drive, a lane connected to Marsiling Road, became the first in Singapore to have new coloured signages bearing the block number, road name and postal code.16

More developments sprang up following the opening of the Marsiling Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station in 1996. The Marsiling station is part of the North-South Line.17 Some of the HDB blocks of flats along Marsiling Drive feature shopping and recreational facilities in a bid to attract more Singaporeans to live in the developing estate. Existing flats and the surrounding landscape were spruced up through upgrading projects carried out by the HDB. In 1994, Marsiling residents opted in favour of the Interim Upgrading Programme, choosing to upgrade their surroundings with covered walkways, amphitheatres, improved playgrounds and tiled void decks.18 Recently, the HDB built two housing estates – Straits Vista @ Marsiling and Marsiling Heights – along Marsiling Road, which were ready in 2008 and 2014 respectively.19

Road to Woodlands Checkpoint
Marsiling Road was one of the roads that motorists could use to access the former Woodlands Checkpoint at the Causeway via Woodlands Road.20 This function of Marsiling Road ceased to exist with the opening of the new Woodlands Checkpoint in 1999. In 2008, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority reopened the Old Woodlands Checkpoint for use by heavy vehicles to ease congestion.21 Marsiling Road thus became a key road again, as motorists use it to access the old Checkpoint via Woodlands Centre Road.22


Naidu Ratnala Thulaja, Nor-Afidah Abd Rahman & Jeremy Goh


1. Singapore Land Authority, OneMap, accessed 29 July 2016.
2. Lin Xiaosheng and Lin Yuanfu 林孝胜 and 林源福, eds., Yi shun shequ fazhan si 义顺社区发展史 [The development of Nee Soon community] ([Singapore]: Yishun District Grassroots Organization, National Archives, Oral History Museum, 1987), 115. (Call no. Chinese RSING 959.57 DEV-[HIS])
3. Lin Xiaosheng and Lin Yuanfu, Yi shun shequ fazhan si, 2.
4. “Goodbye to Village Life,” Straits Times, 12 September 1989, 23. (From NewspaperSG)
5. “Keeping Kampung Spirit Alive,” Straits Times, 21 September 1989, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
6. Hadijah Rahmat, Kilat Senja: Sejarah Sosial Dan Budaya Kampung-Kampung di Singapura (Singapore: HS Yang Publishing, 2005), 89. (Call no. Malay RSING 959.57 HAD-[HIS])
7. “Big New Factory for Colony,” Straits Times, 4 April 1950, 4 (From NewspaperSG); Claudia Cragg, The New Taipans: A Vital Source Book on the People and Business of the Pacific Rim (London: Arrow Books, 1996), 118–19 (Call no. RSING 330.95 CRA); Survey Department, Singapore, Singapore Provisional Issue, 1953, topographic map, National Archives of Singapore (accession no. TM000041)
8. Sheila Cheong, “The Old Versus the New,” Straits Times, 3 October 1979, 5. (From NewspaperSG.)
9. “Milestones and Awards,” Sheng Siong, accessed 9 June 2016.
10. David Toh, “Swinging to the Sound of Seiko,” Straits Times, 30 November 1984, 28. (From NewspaperSG)
11. Yong Jia 永嘉, “Luying zai maxiling” 露营在马西岭 [Camping at Marsiling], Nanyang Siang Pau 南洋商, 19 October 1976, 21. (From NewspaperSG)
12. Shan Hong 山洪, “Fuze ‘xinbing xiaozhuan’ paishe gongzuo de si wei biandao” 负责 ‘新兵小传’ 拍摄工作的四位编导 [The four choreographers responsible for the filming of 'The Recruits'], Nanyang Siang Pau 南洋商, 3 March 1983, 29; Du Hong 杜红, “Yidi han shi yi fen liliang” 一滴汗是一分力量 [A drop of sweat is a part of strength], Nanyang Siang Pau 南洋商, 4 March 1983, 35. (From NewspaperSG)
13. Singapore Land Authority, OneMap.
14. “3 New Centres Opened: TV Sets to Be Installed,” Straits Times, 30 November 1962, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
15. “Ministry Free Film Shows,” Straits Times, 10 December 1962, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
16. “New Sign Boards to Help Visitors,” (1981, June 6). New Nation, 6 June 1981, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
17. Indrani Nadarajah and Julie Kee, “Residents Prepare for Easier Life with Woodlands MRT Line,” Straits Times, 21 January 1996, 24; Magdalene Lum, “Go North Young Man,” Straits Times, 8 January 1995, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
18. “More Interim Upgrading Projects Launched,” Straits Times, 31 July 1995, 18. (From NewspaperSG)
19. Fiona Chan, “HDB’s Challenge: Low-Cost Housing, Condo-Like Flats,” Straits Times, 11 June 2008, 36. (From NewspaperSG); “Our Town Is Growing,” Hearttalk (June 2013). (Call no. RSING 307.095957H)
20. Director of National Mapping, Malaysia, Malaya 1:63,360. Sheet 134, Singapore & Johor Baharu, 1964, map. (Call no. RCLOS MAP 912.5957 MAL)
21. Old Woodlands Checkpoint to re-open next month. (2008, November 22). The New Paper, p. 6. Retrieved From NewspaperSG.
22. Street Directory, Marsiling Road, map, accessed 3 June 2016.

The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.







Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Jurong reclamation


Singapore’s first industrial estate is located in Jurong. Before its transformation into an industrial estate, Jurong was a landscape covered in forest and swamp, with crocodile-infested rivers. There were also fish and prawn ponds. Reclamation work began in the 1960s. Swampland was reclaimed using earth obtained from the levelling of...

Raffles Town Plan (Jackson Plan)


The Raffles Town Plan, also known as the Jackson Plan, refers to Stamford Raffles’s plan for the town of Singapore formulated in late 1822. Lieutenant Philip Jackson drew up a plan according to Raffles’s vision and the resultant plan was published in 1828. The town plan focused on the downtown...

Lavender Street


Lavender Street connects the junction of Balestier Road and Serangoon Road to the junction of Kallang Road and Crawford Street. The street was officially named on 8 March 1858. The name “Lavender”, which was suggested by residents of the street, was ironic because this was one of the foulest-smelling streets...

Penang Road


Penang Road begins as an offshoot from Orchard Road and ends at the junction of Somerset Road and Killiney Road. It was named after a northeastern city in Peninsular Malaysia. Landmarks along the road include the House of Tan Yeok Nee, the Singapore Shopping Centre, Winsland House and Oxley House....

Eu Tong Sen Street


Eu Tong Sen Street begins from a stretch of road formed by the meeting of two roads, Jalan Bukit Merah and Kampong Bahru Road, and ends at the junction of Hill Street, Fort Canning Rise and Coleman Street. An artery of the Chinatown hub and a shopping haven, the street...

Elephant statue


The “elephant statue” is a bronze monument located at the High Street entrance of the Old Parliament House (formerly known as the Old Court House) in the Downtown Core of Singapore’s Central Region. It was a gift from Thailand’s King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) to commemorate his visit to Singapore in...

Battery Road


Battery Road is located in the central business district, stretching from Fullerton Square to the junction of Bonham Street and Chulia Street. One of the earliest roads in Singapore, many warehouses were set up on Battery Road by the Singapore River after it was constructed in the 1820s. Three- or...

Old Hill Street Police Station


The Old Hill Street Police Station (formerly known as the MICA Building), home to the Ministry of Communications and Information and the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, is a colonial landmark located at the junction of River Valley Road and Hill Street. It officially opened in 1934, and was...

Kranji Memorials


The Kranji Memorials, located off Woodlands Road, about 22 km from the city, is made up of three cemeteries: the Kranji War Cemetery, the Kranji Military Cemetery and the State Cemetery. ...



Chinatown is an estate located largely in the Outram area in the Central Region of Singapore. In his 1822 master Town Plan, Sir Stamford Raffles allocated the whole area west of the Singapore River for a Chinese settlement known as the Chinese Campong (kampong in Malay means “village”), envisaging the...