Echigoya



Singapore Infopedia

Background

Echigoya was a Japanese fabric store established around 1907 on Middle Road. It was famous for its fine fabrics and garments, and tailoring of Japanese fashionwear.1 Echigoya closed down following the Japanese surrender in 1945 during World War II. It resumed business in 1955, but closed permanently in 1977.

Origin
Echigoya Gofukuten, a Japanese store selling textiles and garments, was opened in around 1907 at 23 Middle Road in an area known as Little Japan.2


Little Japan had started with the karayuki-san (Japanese prostitutes). From 1877 to 1920, their services in numerous Japanese brothels on Malay, Malabar and Hylam streets made Little Japan famous as the Japanese red-light district.3 Japanese drapers were indispensable in the area because the karayuki-san usually wore kimono, and this helped Echigoya to flourish in its early years. Besides Echigoya, other drapers that served the prostitutes before War World I included Koyama Shinnosuke’s Shin-Koyama Shoten on Middle Road, Koyama Yoshimatsu’s Koyama Shoten on Malabar Street, Shriono Shozo’s Nihon Shokai on North Bridge Road and Ishii Inosuke’s Maruju Gofukuten. Echigoya was the most successful amongst them.4

Echigoya was established by Chubei Takahashi.5 In 1896, Takahashi and his wife left Japan and started a trading business in Shanghai, Taiwan and Hong Kong. In 1904, Takahashi set up a draper’s shop in Hong Kong’s Japanese red-light district. However, the business failed, which led to his move to Singapore.6

Pre-World War II
From a two-storey shophouse on Middle Road, Echigoya sold kimono and related goods to Japanese prostitutes.7


The store’s business hit a brief snag when the Japanese consulate general in Singapore banned licensed Japanese prostitution in 1920. However, Takahashi overcame the initial difficulties and steered his business towards attracting and serving Caucasian customers.8 One well-known European who raved about Echigoya was Roland Braddell, a municipal commissioner from 1914 to 1919.9 In his book The Lights of Singapore (first published in 1934), Braddell wrote: “Round Middle Road, Hailam Street, and Malay Street, you will find a very gay little Japanese quarter. And speaking of buying things, the most fascinating of our shops to me is the Echigoya in Middle Road, a real Japanese shop, where you can get a proper Japanese kimono tailored to measure, and have your pick of the latest Japanese fashions which change with the seasons as do ours".10

Takahashi became a wealthy man. He built a luxurious mansion in his hometown, Kashiwazaki, and contributed funds for building the town’s city hall.11

In 1916, Takahashi brought Fukuda Kurahachi, a 13-year-old who had just completed primary school, to Singapore to work in Echigoya. After Takahashi’s death in 1933, his wife reorganised Echigoya into a company, with Kurahachi as general manager. She retained 50 percent of the company’s shares, while the rest was owned by Echigoya’s staff, including Kurahachi. Under Kurahachi’s management, Echigoya’s business prospered and the store expanded. In 1937, the store was relocated to a three-storey shophouse at 131 Middle Road, where it remained until 1945. The new Echigoya was one of the first shops in Singapore to have a lift installed.12

Post-World War II and closure

When the Japanese was defeated in World War II in 1945, the British sequestered Echigoya’s assets and the company had to wind up its business.13

An opportunity to revive the business arose in 1954, when Kurahachi was contacted by a Singapore resident with the surname Hu who needed help with importing silk goods, sundry goods and other products from Japan. At the time, the colonial administration in Singapore did not permit the re-entry of any Japanese who had resided in Singapore during the Japanese Occupation. However, with the help of a Briton who worked in the immigration department and was once Echigoya’s loyal customer, a special arrangement was made for Kurahachi’s return to Singapore.14

Kurahachi was among the first Japanese to re-enter Singapore after World War II. There were 20 Japanese in Singapore when Kurahachi returned in late 1954.15

In July 1955, Kurahachi obtained permission from the government to reopen Echigoya in Singapore. With capital subscribed by Lai En Ho, an overseas Chinese of British nationality, and arrangements made by Lim Chong Geok of the Singapore Badminton Association, a sum of $150,000 was raised and the retail store re-established. On 9 November 1955, Echigoya & Co. resumed business at 28 Coleman Street with Kurahachi as the general manager.16 The reopening was reported in the local Chinese newspaper Nanyang Siang Pau.17

Echigoya was the first Japanese company registered in postwar Singapore. In subsequent years, Kurahachi played a key role in bringing back Japanese businesses to Singapore when anti-Japanese feelings were high. His contributions earned him a Fifth Class Order of the Sacred Treasure in 1974, conferred by Emperor Hirohito for his service to the Japanese community in Singapore.18

In 1971, Echigoya shifted to Neil Road, where it continued its business of importing and selling textiles. The store closed permanently in 1977 when Fukuda returned to Japan, ending his 65 years of living and working in Singapore.19



Author

Nor-Afidah Abd Rahman



References
1. Roland Braddell, The Lights of Singapore (Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press, 1982), 87–88. (Call no. RSING 959.57 BRA-[HIS])
2. “YuèhòuwÅ« shāngdiàn zuó yóu rì zǒng lǐng kāimù” “越後屋商店昨由日總領開幕,” Nanyang Siang Pau 南洋商报, 10 November 1955, 7. (From NewspaperSG); Shimizu Hiroshi and Hirakawa Hitoshi, Japan and Singapore in the World Economy: Japan’s Economic Advance into Singapore, 1870–1965 (New York: Routledge, 1999), 36 (Call no. RSING 337.5205957 SHI); Prewar Japanese Community in Singapore: Picture and Record (Singapore: Japanese Association, 2004), 37. (Call no. RSING 305.895605957 PRE)
3. Prewar Japanese Community in Singapore, 64; James Francis Warren, Ah Ku and Karayuki-San: Prostitution in Singapore, 1870–1940. (Singapore: Singapore University Press, 2003), 40–41. (Call no. RSING 306.74095957 WAR)
4. Hiroshi and Hitoshi, Japan and Singapore in the World Economy, 36.
5. Hiroshi and Hitoshi, Japan and Singapore in the World Economy, plate 2.3.
6. Prewar Japanese Community in Singapore, 37. 
7. Hiroshi and Hitoshi, Japan and Singapore in the World Economy, 83.
8. Prewar Japanese Community in Singapore, 37, 44.
9. “Death in London of Sir Roland Braddell,” Straits Times, 17 November 1966, 1; “Social and Personal,” Straits Times, 26 September 1914, 8; “Untitled,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 26 July 1919. (From NewspaperSG)
10. Braddell, Lights of Singapore, 87–88.
11. Prewar Japanese Community in Singapore, 38–39.
12. Hiroshi and Hitoshi, Japan and Singapore in the World Economy, 37, 167; Prewar Japanese Community in Singapore, 168.
14. Hiroshi and Hitoshi, Japan and Singapore in the World Economy, 168.
15. Hiroshi and Hitoshi, Japan and Singapore in the World Economy, 169.
16. Hiroshi and Hitoshi, Japan and Singapore in the World Economy, 167–68; “Dì 12 yè guǎnggào zhuānlán 2” “第12页 广告 专栏 2,” Nanyang Siang Pau 南洋商报 , 10 November 1955, 12; “YuèhòuwÅ« shāngdiàn zuó yóu rì zǒng lǐng kāimù” “越後屋商店昨由日總領開幕,” Nanyang Siang Pau南洋商报, 10 November 1955, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
17. “越後屋商店昨由日總領開幕.”
18. Hiroshi and Hitoshi, Japan and Singapore in the World Economy, 168–69; Abby Tan, “Hirohito Award for Fukuda,” New Nation, 3 May 1974, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
19. Prewar Japanese Community in Singapore, 41.



The information in this article is valid as at 2018 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

City Biodiversity Index

ARTICLE

The City Biodiversity Index, also known as the Singapore Index on Cities’ Biodiversity, measures biodiversity in cities, and highlights how biodiversity conservation efforts can be improved. The idea was proposed by then Minister for National Development Mah Bow Tan at the Conference of Parties (COP) to the Convention of Biological...

Singapore Indian Association

ARTICLE

The Singapore Indian Association was formed in 1923 with its main premises at Short Street. The Association was very active in sports. Cricket and hockey were its fortes in the late 1950s, with many of its members representing Singapore in regional and international competitions. However, its membership and coffers began...

Tan Kah Kee Young Inventors' Award

ARTICLE

The Tan Kah Kee Young Inventors’ Award was first established in May 1986 to encourage and promote creativity and innovation in science and technology. The competition is open to Singaporeans and permanent residents aged 36 and below (Open Section) as well as students aged 25 and below (Student Section). In...

Lat Pau (Le Bao)

ARTICLE

Lat Pau (Le Bao), the longest running Chinese daily in pre-war Singapore, was incepted in December 1881 by See Ewe Lay. The Lat Pau continued for 52 years before folding in March 1932. ...

Wang Gungwu

ARTICLE

Wang Gungwu (b. 9 October 1930, Surabaya, Indonesia–) is an internationally renowned historian famed for his scholarship on the history of the Chinese diaspora in Southeast Asia, as well as the history and civilisation of China and Southeast Asia. In his illustrious academic career, Wang has held eminent appointments in...

Borneo Co. Ltd.

ARTICLE

The Borneo Co. Ltd. (BCL) was formed in 1856 to exploit business opportunities in Borneo (Sarawak). It was also active in other parts of Asia. Drawing on its knowledge of the Southeast Asian markets, the company entered the automobile industry in the 1920s, importing and selling cars in Singapore and...

Queen's Scholarship

ARTICLE

The Queen’s Scholarship was an annual education scheme introduced by the colonial government in 1885 to enable promising students in Singapore and Malaya to enrol at a British university. It was the colony’s most prestigious academic prize until it was replaced in 1959 by the Singapore State Scholarships (known today...

Straits Medical Association

ARTICLE

The Straits Medical Association was established in 1890 by a group of medical officers who saw a need to form a professional body for medical practitioners in Singapore to discuss and research local diseases and other medical subjects. The pioneering batch of office-bearers included Dr D. J. Galloway (president), Dr...

Tan Kah Kee

ARTICLE

Tan Kah Kee (b. 21 October 1874, Jimei, Tong’an, Quanzhou, Fujian, China–d. 12 August 1961, Beijing, China) was a prominent Chinese businessman and philanthropist, nicknamed the “Henry Ford of Malaya”. He contributed extensively to the financing of schools and establishment of well-planned clusters of educational institutions, both in Singapore and...

Tamil community

ARTICLE

The Tamils make up the largest segment of the South Indian community in Singapore. Originating from the present-day state of Tamil Nadu in South India as well as northern Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon), many Tamils came to Singapore during the 19th century as labourers and traders. Today, the Tamils make...