Minden Road

Singapore Infopedia


Minden Road connects Harding Road and Napier Road.1 Once a nutmeg estate, Minden Road is now home to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and St George’s Church,2 while several high commissions and embassies are also located in the vicinity.

Until 1860, Minden Road was part of what was known as Mount Harriet, a nutmeg estate. The nutmeg estate was owned by Colonial Treasurer William Willans and businessman Hoo Ah Kay (also known as Whampoa).3 The estate was purchased for 25,000 Spanish dollars by the British authorities in 1860 for military use, and henceforth Minden Road became part of the British Military Area (BMA) of Tanglin.4 BMA Tanglin included the areas around Holland Road, Napier Road, Cluny Road, Harding Road, Ridout Road, Ridley Park, Firestone Park and Tanglin Road.5 Tanglin Barracks was completed in 1862.6

From 1872 onwards, it housed its first full battalion, the 80th Regiment of Foot (Staffordshire Volunteers). It later served as the general headquarters of the British Far East Land Forces. Being a part of a BMA, residential quarters were also built to house British families.7

In post-independence Singapore, the area came to be more popularly known as Tanglin Camp and housed the Ministry of Defence until the latter moved to Bukit Gombak in 1989.8

Today, Minden Road is home to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,9 which shifted into the main building of the 33-hectare Tanglin Camp in the late 1990s after redevelopment.10 St George’s Church, which began as a garrison church, is still located there.11 Tanglin Golf Course was also located on Minden Road before its closure in 2013.12 Some landmarks nearby include the Australian High Commission, British High Commission, Embassy of the United States of America, Gleneagles Hospital and the Singapore Botanic Gardens.13


Naidu Ratnala Thulaja

1. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 498. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
2. Dhoraisingam S. Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage: Through Places of Historical Interest (Singapore: Dhoraisingam S Samuel, 2010), 281 (Call no. RSING 959.57 SAM-[HIS]); Julia Goh, “22 Monuments to Get Identifying Plaques from Today,” Straits Times, 27 November 1992, 33. (From NewspaperSG)
3. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 257 (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA]); Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 23. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
4. Edwin Lee, Historic Buildings of Singapore (Singapore: Preservation of Monuments Board, 1990), 16 (Call no. RSING 720.95957 LEE); Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 23.
5. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 498 (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA]); Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 23.
6. “Retrospect for 1861,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1835–1869), 7 February 1862, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
7. “History: Introduction, 1861,” Dempsey Hill, accessed 17 February 2017; Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 257; Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage, 309.
8. Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage, 309; “From Colonial-Style Home in Tanglin to Ultra-Modern Complex in Bt Gombak,” Straits Times, 9 April 1989, 12. (From NewspaperSG)
9. “Foreign Ministry to Move to Mindef Site in Tanglin,” Straits Times, 25 February 1989, 23; “Tanglin Camp Being Redeveloped,” Straits Times, 3 January 1998, 36. (From NewspaperSG)
10. Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage, 309; “Tanglin Camp Being Redeveloped.”
11. Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage, 281, 308–9.
12. “Closure of Tanglin Golf Course,” My Golf Kaki, accessed 20 December 2016.
13. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 498; Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore, 23.

The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Johnston's Pier


Johnston’s Pier was a jetty that once stood along Collyer Quay, opposite Fullerton Square and the Hong Kong Bank Building on Battery Road. Built to facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, it was completed on 13 March 1856. In its time, many famous dignitaries – including British royalty and...

G. D. Coleman


G. D. (George Dromgold) Coleman (b. 1795, Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland–d. 27 March 1844, Singapore) was Singapore’s pioneer colonial architect. He became the first Government Superintendent of Public Works when he was appointed in 1833. Coleman planned, surveyed and built much of early Singapore, shaping the course of Singapore’s architectural...

Amoy Street


Amoy Street in Chinatown begins at the junction of McCallum Street, and Telok Ayer Street and ends at Pekin Street. Developed in the 1830s, the street was probably named after the migrants who came from Amoy in China. ...

Seletar Reservoir


Seletar Reservoir was built in 1940 as the country’s third impounding reservoir, to meet a surge in water demand after World War I. The reservoir possessed an initial capacity of 150 million gallons until its expansion in 1969. It was renamed Upper Seletar Reservoir in 1992, while Sungei Seletar Reservoir...

Ophir Road


Ophir Road begins as an offshoot from Rochor Canal Road, and ends at Republic Boulevard at one point and East Coast Parkway at another point. It runs parallel to Rochor Road. Landmarks along the road include Raffles Hospital and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. ...

Magazine Road


Magazine Road connects Havelock Road and Merchant Road. The road probably got its name due to its association with the old ammunition storage ground of Havelock Road....

Short Street


Short Street begins at the junction where it meets Middle Road, Selegie Road and Wilkie Road. It connects Selegie Road to Rochor Canal Road. Although some suggest that the road might be named after Septimus Short, who spoke on public issues related to railways and docks, others posit that it...

Kranji Road


Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Dunlop Street


Believed to be named after Colonel Samuel Dunlop, Dunlop Street in Little India is a one-way road connecting Jalan Besar to Serangoon Road. The most significant landmark along this street is the Abdul Gaffoor Mosque. ...

Chin Chew Street


Chin Chew Street, in Chinatown, connects South Bridge Road and China Street. An Indian residential area in the 1820s, it later became synonymous with the samsui women who made this street their home in the early 20th century. ...