Pulau Tekong

Singapore Infopedia


Pulau Tekong is an island off the northeastern coast of Singapore, with Selat Johore to the north and Serangoon Harbour to the south.1 There were originally two islands – the larger Pulau Tekong and the smaller Pulau Tekong Kechil – but land reclamation joined them as one, making the resulting Pulau Tekong Singapore’s largest offshore island. The island is currently used for military purposes.2 There are many versions of the origin of its name, most of which are rooted in folklore.

Pulau Tekong is actually made up of two islands: the 2,442.6-hectare Pulau Tekong (known as Pulau Tekong Besar in Malay, meaning “Big Tekong Island”), and the 89-hectare Pulau Tekong Kechil (Malay for “Small Tekong Island”).3 Before land reclamation joined the two islands in the mid-1990s, the main Pulau Tekong was already the largest of Singapore’s offshore islands, at 6.4-kilometres long and 4.1-kilometres wide.4

In 1957, Pulau Tekong had a population of around 4,169. The residents were predominantly Chinese, although the Malays are believed to be the earliest settlers on the island.5 Among its produce then were rubber, coconut, vegetables, prawns, fish, and tropical fruits such as durians, mangosteens and rambutans. The island was once home to several kampongs (villages) such as Kampong Pahang, Kampong Selabin (Pekan), Kampong Seminal, Kampong Batu Koyok, Kampong Senyunkong, Kampong Pasir, Kampong Sungei Belang, Kampong Onom, Kampong Pasir Merah, and Kampong Permatang. All the islanders have since been resettled on mainland Singapore and Pulau Tekong is today dedicated exclusively to military use;6 Basic Military Training, which kicks off mandatory national service for Singaporean males, takes place on the island.7

Archaeological discoveries
In 1987, archaeologists discovered earthenware pieces at Kampong Permatang in the northwest region of Pulau Tekong, opposite the mouth of the Johore River and the old Johore Lama, a historical site. These significant finds appear to be similar to others found in Thailand, the Philippines and Indonesia, including Borneo. The artefacts date back to the prehistoric neolithic era, as well as the 15th and 16th centuries, indicative of past trading activities on the island. Other finds include Chinese stoneware and a big fragment of a 16th-century Sukhothai bowl. These discoveries were sent to universities in the United Kingdom for age verification.8

Elephants on the island
In May 1990, a group of national servicemen from the Singapore Armed Forces spotted three wild elephants on the island. The elephants were thought to have swum across the Strait of Johore, from Johore, the closest natural habitat.9 Help was sought from the Singapore Zoo, which obtained assistance from the Malaysian Wildlife authorities to capture the animals.10 Pulau Tekong was deemed an unsuitable home for the elephants as it was used for military training.11 The joint Singapore-Malaysia rescue team eventually subdued and captured the elephants, which were sent back to Malaysia.12

Origins of the name “Tekong”
There are many stories relating to the origins of the name “Tekong”:13
– Seafarers who relied on stars as their compass were said to follow a particular star known as the “tekong”, which would lead them to the island.
– A pirate captured by a Chinese trading ship in Singapore seas was said to have been brought ashore and had his hair cropped, an act known in Malay as ditokong. To commemorate this victory, the islanders called the island Pulau Tokong or Pulau Tekong.
– The early islanders on Pulau Tekong were believed to be Orang Melayu from Pahang who first arrived in 1857 before the outbreak of a civil war in their native land. A key area affected by the war was a district called Teluk Tekong. The refugees from Teluk Tekong chanced upon the island and named their new home Pulau Tekong, in memory of their previous homeland.

Variant meanings of “Tekong”
Pulau means “Island” and Tekong means “an obstacle”, so called because the island blocks the mouth of the Johore River.14
In the Kamus Dewan dictionary, tekong refers to “ruas”, which is connected with “bamboo” or “sugarcane”.
The word tekong could also refer to a deep cleft in a giant rock that collects water from rain and dew on the island.

In Indonesian, tekong means “something that is not straight or wavy”; in the Minangkabau dialect it denotes something heavy.

Tekong is believed to be derived from the dialect word taikong, meaning “ship’s captain”.15


Vernon Cornelius-Takahama

1. Chen Poh Seng and Lee Leong Sze, A Rospect on the Dust-Laden History: The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore (Singapore: World Scientific, 2012), 1. (Call no. RSING 959.5705 CHE)
2. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 78. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
3. Chen and Lee, Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History, 33.
4. Kelvin K.P. Lim, Marcus A. H. Chua and Norman T-L. Lim, "Freshwater Fishes, Terrestrial Herpetofauna and MMammals of Pulau Tekong, Singapore," Nature in Singapore 9 (2016): 165, https://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/app/uploads/2017/06/2016nis165-198.pdf; “Land Reclamation at Ubin, Tekong By ’95,” Business Times, 1 January 1993, 20; “Soil Checks on Pulau Ubin, Pulau Tekong to Start Soon,” Straits Times, 2 January 1993, 21. (From NewspaperSG)
5. Chen and Lee, Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History, 34.
6. “How Pulau Tekong Derives Its Name,” Straits Times, 21 January 1985, 4
7. “Basic Military Training,” Ministry of Defence, accessed 25 May 2015.
8. “‘Significant’ Finds of Earthenware on Pulau Tekong,” Straits Times, 19 November 1987, 20. (From NewspaperSG)
9. Rohaniah Saini, “Wanted: Tusk Force to Catch Wild Elephants on Tekong,” Straits Times, 31 May 1990, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
10. Rohaniah Saini, “Trackers Hot on Trail of Runaway Jumbos,” Straits Times, 7 June 1990, 18. (From NewspaperSG)
11. “Elephants Must Be Removed for ‘Own Good’,” Straits Times, 3 June 1990, 16. (From NewspaperSG)
12. Rohaniah Saini, “Trapped: Two of Tekong’s Three Elephants,” Straits Times, 8 June 1990, 1; “Bull’s Eye! With Tranquiliser,” Straits Times, 9 June 1990, 1; Rohaniah Saini, “Praise for Joint Singapore, Malaysia Rescue Team,” Straits Times, 10 June 1990, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
13. “How Pulau Tekong Derives Its Name.”
14. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 30.
15. “How Pulau Tekong Derives Its Name.”

Further resources
The National Archives of the United Kingdom, Map of Pulau Tekong, 1923, accession no. D2016_000400.

The information in this article is valid as of 2012 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.





Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Elephant statue


The “elephant statue” is a bronze monument located at the High Street entrance of the Old Parliament House (formerly known as the Old Court House) in the Downtown Core of Singapore’s Central Region. It was a gift from Thailand’s King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) to commemorate his visit to Singapore in...

Woodlands MRT station


The Woodlands Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station was constructed as part of the Woodlands MRT line, built in the early 1990s, which connects Choa Chu Kang to Yishun. Located directly under the Woodlands station is Singapore’s first underground bus interchange. ...

Marsiling Road


Marsiling Road is a two-way street that links Woodlands Centre Road and Riverside Road. ...

Beach Road


Beach Road is bounded by North Bridge Road, Tan Quee Lan Street and Seah Street. It was historically designated a part of the European Town. Once lined with beautiful villas, Beach Road today marks the boundary of Kampong Glam, and is well known for its two national monuments – Raffles...

First Light Rail Transit system


The Light Rapid Transit (LRT) system, also known as the Light Rail Transit system, is a fully automated rail service that links Housing and Development Board (HDB) estates to Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) stations. The LRT system was initially developed as part of the government’s plan to provide an alternative...

Coleman Street


Coleman Street stretches from Armenian Street to St Andrew’s Road. It was named after George D. Coleman, the first architect in Singapore, who was also overseer of convict labour, superintendent of public works and topographical surveyor. In 1829, Coleman built his personal residence at 3 Coleman Street, which was later...

Hotel van Wijk


Hotel van Wijk, one of the early Dutch hotels in Singapore, was established in the late 19th century. At the time, hotels were set up to cater to the needs of the growing overseas mercantile communities. Hotel van Wijk was located at the hotel belt along Stamford Road – at...

Duxton Road


Duxton Road is a one-way street that connects Neil Road to Craig Road. Situated on Duxton Hill, this road was infamous in the 19th and early 20th centuries for its opium and gambling dens. ...



Chinatown is an estate located largely in the Outram area in the Central Region of Singapore. In his 1822 master Town Plan, Sir Stamford Raffles allocated the whole area west of the Singapore River for a Chinese settlement known as the Chinese Campong (kampong in Malay means “village”), envisaging the...

Shenton Way


Shenton Way begins at the junction of Boon Tat Street, Raffles Quay and Commerce Street, and ends where it meets Keppel Road. It is part of “Golden Shoe”, the moniker given to an 80-acre plot of prime land in the heart of Singapore’s city centre. The shape of the area...