Kreta Ayer Road



Singapore Infopedia

by Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala

Background

Kreta Ayer Road, a one-way road in the heart of Chinatown, connects Neil Road to New Bridge Road. The road is historically important as it was the name given to Chinatown in the early 1800sand was known as tua poh (greater town district) in 19th-century Chinatown.2

History
Kreta Ayer Road was officially named in 1922.3 In Malay, kreta ayer means water cart. In the early 19th and 20th centuries, bullock and ox carts plied this road carrying water. Water was drawn from wells located on Ann Siang Hill and distributed to Chinatown and its surrounding areas.4 Another water source was located at Spring Street, which was named after a spring where water was drawn and transported by bullock cart for distribution round Chinatown.5


From 1826 onwards, land parcels were issued and many roads were developed around Kreta Ayer Road, such as Hokien Street, China Street, Sago Street and Pagoda Street. The Kreta Ayer district of Chinatown, where all these streets were located, developed at a faster pace and was more prosperous. As a result, the Chinese divided Chinatown into two sections: tua poh (greater town district) and sio poh (smaller town). Kreta Ayer Road and its surrounding streets with their restaurants, brothels and theatres, belonged to and shaped the more prosperous tua poh.6

Description
The street is a part of the Chinatown Kreta Ayer Conservation Area and is home to many conserved shophouses. HDB blocks, shops, and eating places also line this street. Built in 1960, the Kreta Ayer Community Centre was originally known as Banda Street Community Centre as it was on Banda Hill.7 In the mid-20th century, many private theatres in the vicinity of the road disappeared for various reasons. The need for a permanent stage for artists to showcase their talents led to the construction of the Kreta Ayer People’s Theatre in 1969. First started in 1960, the theatre was part of Kreta Ayer Community Centre and used to stage its performances on temporary and makeshift stages.8 The theatre was managed by the Kreta Ayer People’s Theatre Foundation until January 2017, where the building’s management was transferred to the People’s Association (PA). Due to the theatre’s poor condition, it closed for major renovations in August 2017.9

Kreta Ayer Complex, a shopping and residential development, was built in 1980. Kreta Ayer Complex, the Kreta Ayer Community Centre and the People’s Theatre were renovated and modernised, and known as the Kreta Ayer Centre.10 Kreta Ayer Complex was later renamed Chinatown Complex as the stallholders in the market felt that its original name did not appeal to tourists.11

In 1996, the Singapore Anti-Tuberculosis Association (SATA) Kreta Ayer Clinic opened towards the end of Kreta Ayer Road. Renamed as SATA Chinatown Clinic, the clinic closed in late 2008 and moved to Ang Mo Kio where it commenced operations in the first quarter of 2009.12

Variant Names
Chinese names: Gu chia chui (Hokkien), ngow chay shui (Cantonese), both meaning “bullock water cart road”, refer to the bullock water carts that once plied this street.13



Author
Naidu Ratnala Thulaja



References
1. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 178. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
2. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 219. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
3. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 219.
4. S. Durai Raja-Singam, Malayan Street Names: What They Mean and Whom They Commemorate (Ipoh: Mercantile Press, 1939, 117. (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 RAJ)
5. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 355.
6. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 219.
7. Archives and Oral History Department, Singapore, Chinatown: An Album of a Singapore Community (Singapore: Times Books International, 1983), 116, 118. (Call no. RSING 779.995957 CHI)
8. Leong Weng Kam, “From Makeshift Stages to a New Home,” Straits Times, 3 January 2000, 44. (From NewspaperSG)
9. Benson Ang, “Kreta Ayer Theatre Gets New Lease of Life,” Straits Times, 26 July 2017, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
10. “HDB to Build $12 M Kreta Ayer Complex,” Straits Times, 3 February 1978, 28. (From NewspaperSG)
11. “Kreta Ayer Complex Gets New Name,” Straits Times, 29 September 1984, 13. (From NewspaperSG)
12. SATA CommHealth, The SATA Story: Celebrating 65 Years of Caring for the Community (Singapore: SATA CommHealth, 2012), 13–14. (Call no. RSING 614.542095967 SAT)*
13. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 219.



The information in this article is valid as at August 2018 and correct as far as we can ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

 

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

G. D. Coleman

ARTICLE

G. D. (George Dromgold) Coleman (b. 1795, Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland–d. 27 March 1844, Singapore) was Singapore’s pioneer colonial architect. He became the first Government Superintendent of Public Works when he was appointed in 1833. Coleman planned, surveyed and built much of early Singapore, shaping the course of Singapore’s architectural...

Magazine Road

ARTICLE

Magazine Road connects Havelock Road and Merchant Road. The road probably got its name due to its association with the old ammunition storage ground of Havelock Road....

Havelock Road

ARTICLE

Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, goes down along and almost parallel to the Singapore River, and stretches until Eu Tong Sen Street before it opens into Upper Pickering Street. Havelock Road was named by...

Kim Seng Road

ARTICLE

Kim Seng Road was named after Peranakan philanthropist Tan Kim Seng. ...

Dunearn Road

ARTICLE

Dunearn Road starts at the junction of Clementi Road and Jalan Anak Bukit. The road runs parallel to Bukit Timah Road, with a canal separating the two long stretches of roads. Near Adam Road, the road divides to form the Dunearn underpass and the Farrer flyover. Towards the end, Dunearn...

Johnston's Pier

ARTICLE

Johnston’s Pier was a jetty that once stood along Collyer Quay, opposite Fullerton Square and the Hong Kong Bank Building on Battery Road. Built to facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, it was completed on 13 March 1856. In its time, many famous dignitaries – including British royalty and...

Kranji Road

ARTICLE

Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Kampong Java Road

ARTICLE

Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus. ...

Ophir Road

ARTICLE

Ophir Road begins as an offshoot from Rochor Canal Road, and ends at Republic Boulevard at one point and East Coast Parkway at another point. It runs parallel to Rochor Road. Landmarks along the road include Raffles Hospital and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. ...

Whiteaway Laidlaw

ARTICLE

Founded in Calcutta, India by Robert Laidlaw in 1882, Whiteaway Laidlaw was a department store that opened a premier branch in Singapore in 1900. Offering products that appealed to the Europeans and wealthy locals, the outlet in Singapore was located on D’Almeida Street, then Oranje (sometimes spelt Oranjie) Building, before...