Tanglin Club

Singapore Infopedia


One of Singapore’s most prominent social clubs, the Tanglin Club was founded in 1865 to cater to the social and recreational needs of the British.1 Up until the 1960s, club members were predominantly British.2

In 1865, an interim committee was formed for the Tanglin Club. The committee comprised Thomas Dunman (president), Herbert Buchanan (vice-president), Lancelot C. Masfen, Jos. M. Webster, William Mulholland, Walter Oldham, Edwin A. G. C. Cooke, and John R. Forrester.

On 26 June 1866, the club purchased a property in Claymore district for $600.4 That same year, the construction of a clubhouse with bowling alleys, billiard rooms, stables, and a dance floor began.5

The clubhouse was constructed from bricks made to British standards by a brickfield in Serangoon. After plastering, the brick walls were washed or distempered. The building had a long overhang roof that was slabbed over with red Chinese clay tiles. The upper storey of the clubhouse, where the main activities were held, had verandas around its perimeter. Its floor was laid with chengal timber, and supported by timber joists. The dance floor, which was later reputed to be the best in Singapore, was reinforced with cast-iron supports. The kitchens, changing rooms and toilet – all located on the ground floor – were laid with red Malaccan tiles and bricks.6

Early developments

By the 1890s, the Claymore district had evolved into a prestigious district occupied by many prominent European residents.During the construction of the German Teutonia Club (present-day Goodwood Park Hotel), the Tanglin Club accommodated Teutonia’s members.8 When the palatial Teutonia Club was completed in 1900, it overshadowed the Tanglin Club’s premises, which by then was considered old and dismal-looking.

The Tanglin Club’s German membership dwindled from 236 in 1901 to 181 in 1911. When World War I broke out in 1914, Teutonia Club was declared an enemy property.9

During the Japanese Occupation of Singapore (1942–45), the Tanglin Club was used by the Japanese army as a club for their officers. It was also used as a base for their propaganda unit as well as their storage area for rations and weapons. After the Japanese surrender, the Tanglin Club came under the management of the Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes until March 1946. It was not until 1 September 1946 that the club was informally reopened.10

Selected milestones

Sep 1977: The Tanglin Club begins constructing a new four-storey clubhouse at the rear of the existing building at Stevens Road-Draycott Drive.
Mar 1981: Construction of the clubhouse is completed.
14 Mar 1981: Members bid farewell to the original clubhouse at a closing ceremony.
25 Apr 1981: The new clubhouse at Stevens Road-Draycott Drive is officially opened by then Law Minister E. W. Barker.11 

1995: Female members are given the right to vote.12
2005: The club embarks on a S$21 million upgrading plan that includes the construction of a new sports complex.13
Apr 2008: The club elects its first female vice-president, Shanta Sundarason.14

In 1962, the government appealed to clubs in Singapore to have at least 50-percent local membership. This was thus included in the Tanglin Club’s membership rules. Some of the first locals to join the club included Shaw Vee Meng, Dr Yeo Chee Peng, Tan Eng Han, Koh Eng Yam, U. S. Chan and C. K. Sng.15

In 1997, club members rejected a proposal to increase the proportion of Singaporean members, which had been capped at 51 percent.16 This limit was addressed in later years. In January 2013, the Tanglin Club held a vote to raise its planned total membership to 5,000 members, citing an ageing membership and a long waiting list of Singaporeans.17 As this increase was not approved, membership concerns were discussed again at a special general meeting in 2015.18 At this meeting, club members voted in favour of counting a member’s nationality at the time of joining. In doing so, 292 members who had joined the club as foreigners but were recorded as local members after they took up Singapore citizenship would not be counted as local members. This outcome enabled the club to maintain its 51 percent cap on any one nationality, and made room for Singaporean applicants on the waiting list to join the club. It was noted that this change allowed “the Tanglin Club to admit new Singaporean members for the first time since 2008 while also preserving the traditional diversity of the club”.19

By April 2019, the club had over 7,000 members comprising 40 nationalities.20

Joshua Chia Yeong Jia

1. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 301 (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS]); “Club History,” The Tanglin Club, accessed 11 April 2019.
2. Barbara Ann Walsh, Forty Good Men: The Story of the Tanglin Club in the Island of Singapore 1865–1990 (Singapore: Tanglin Club, 1991), 143. (Call no. RSING 367.95957 WAL)
3. Walsh, Forty Good Men, 28.
4. Walsh, Forty Good Men, 28.
5. Walsh, Forty Good Men, 27–30, 143.
6. Walsh, Forty Good Men, 30, 55; Ray Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 176. (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS])
7. Walsh, Forty Good Men, 53.
8. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 174.
9. Walsh, Forty Good Men, 56–57; Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 174.
10. Walsh, Forty Good Men, 104–05, 109.
11. Walsh, Forty Good Men, 159–60; “Completely New Tanglin Club for $10 Million,” New Nation, 25 August 1977, 4; “Tanglin Club Facilities will Be Envy of Others,” Straits Times, 31 October 1977, 13. (From NewspaperSG)
12. Loh Chee Kong, “First Female Elected as Club’s Vice President,” Today, 9 April 2008, 6. (From NewspaperSG)
13. Kelvin Wong, “$21M Upgrade Okayed for Tanglin Club,” Straits Times, 27 April 2005, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
14. Loh, “First Female Elected.” 
15. Walsh, Forty Good Men, 143.
16. Koh Boon Pin, “Tanglin Club Rejects Move to Increase S’porean Membership,” Straits Times, 20 August 1997, 23; Joanne Lee, “Tanglin Club Furore over Limit on Locals,” Straits Times, 21 May 1998, 39; Karen Wong, “Tangling Club,” New Paper, 15 March 2005, 2; Conrad Raj, “Scrap ‘Unfair’ Limits on Singaporeans,” Today, 8 May 2009, 8; K. C. Vijayan, “‘Local Ratio’ an Issue at Tanglin Club Polls,” Straits Times, 24 May 2014, 20. (From NewspaperSG)
17. Conrad Raj, “Tanglin Club to Raise Membership by 25% to 5,000,” Today, 18 December 2012, 18; Conrad Raj, “Tanglin Club to Vote again on Raising Membership Quota,” Straits Times, 9 May 2013, 24. (From NewspaperSG)
18. K. C. Vijayan, “Face-Off at Tanglin Club over Cap on S’poreans,” Straits Times, 14 March 2015, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
19. K. C. Vijayan, “Room for 112 More Singaporeans after Club’s Rule Change,” Straits Times, 20 March 2015, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
20. The Tanglin Club, “Club History.”

Further resources
K. C. Vijayan, “Ex-Tanglin Club Chief Explains Why He Quit,” Straits Times, 24 January 2014, 14. (From NewspaperSG)

K. C. Vijayan, “New Team to Run Tanglin Club,” Straits Times, 8 March 2014, 25. (From NewspaperSG)

Kimberly Spykerman, “Club Rift over ‘Member’ Issue,” Straits Times, 25 April 2011, 3. (From NewspaperSG)

The Tanglin Club (Singapore), The Tanglin Club Magazine (1999). (From PublicationSG) 

Upholding the Standards and Traditions of the Tanglin Club,” The Tanglin Club, n.d.

Yuen Sin, “Clubs’ Barring of Maids: Good, Old-Timey Discrimination?Straits Times, 2 December 2018.

The information in this article is valid as at April 2019 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Raffles College


Raffles College was set up in 1928 at 469 Bukit Timah Road as a college for higher education in the arts and sciences. Its formation was the result of a scheme to commemorate the centenary of the founding of Singapore by Stamford Raffles (Sir). In 1949, Raffles College merged with...

Metropolitan Young Men's Christian Association (MYMCA)


The Metropolitan Young Men’s Christian Association (MYMCA) is located at 60 Stevens Road. Founded on the same Christian principles as its parent, the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) in Britain, the MYMCA was established in 1946 by Chen Su Lan (Dr) to cater to the Chinese population. Originally known as...

Sandilands Buttery and Co. Ltd.


Sandilands Buttery and Co. Ltd. was one of the earliest British trading firms established in Malaya. Like many of the early mercantile companies in the Straits Settlements, Sandilands Buttery was associated with a host of other firms, functioning as an exporter or importer, manufacturers’ representative, as well as insurance and...

Church of Saints Peter & Paul


The Church of Saints Peter & Paul is located at 225A Queen Street. Built in 1870, the church is historically associated with the growth of the Chinese Catholic community in Singapore. The church building was gazetted a national monument in 2003. ...

Iskandar Shah


Iskandar Shah, also spelt as Iskandar Syah, is closely associated with Singapore and Melaka during the 14th and 15th century. He is also associated with other names in Singapore history such as Parameswara and Sri Tri Buana. His identity remains an enigma – he was either the ruler of late-14th...

The Republic of Singapore Yacht Club


The Republic of Singapore Yacht Club (RSYC) is a maritime recreational society and club for yachting enthusiasts. It was established in 1826, and is the oldest recreational or social club of any theme in Singapore. It is also the first yacht club in Asia. It was known as the Royal...

Bukit Timah


Bukit Timah Estate is located in Singapore’s Central Region. The name Bukit Timah originated from a corruption of the name of the Temak tree, which grows in the area. Bukit is Malay for “hill”, while Timah is Malay for “tin” – thus the mistaken belief that tin can be found...

St George's Church


St George’s Church is an Anglican church located at Minden Road, off Holland Road, on the grounds of what were once the Tanglin Barracks. Built between 1910 and 1913 as a garrison church, the distinctive red brick building has a rich history dating back to the British colonial presence in...

Former Kallang Airport building


The former Kallang Airport building is an architectural landmark located at 9 Stadium Link along Nicoll Highway. Kallang Airport, Singapore's first purpose-built civil airport, was opened on 12 June 1937 in the Kallang Basin area. The airport ceased operations following the opening of Paya Lebar Airport in 1955. However, the...

Behn, Meyer & Co.


Behn, Meyer & Co. was established in Singapore on 1 November 1840 as a partnership between two Germans, Theodor August Behn and Valentin Lorenz Meyer. In its initial years, the firm traded in tropical produce such as coconut oil, pepper, camphor and rattan, but subsequently ventured into shipping and insurance....