Anderson Bridge

Singapore Infopedia


Anderson Bridge straddles the mouth of the Singapore River and connects Empress Place with Collyer Quay.1 It was named after John Anderson, governor of the Straits Settlements and high commissioner for the Federated Malay States (1904–11), who officially opened the bridge on 12 March 1910.2

The history of its construction can be traced to 1901 when the Singapore River Commission proposed building a new bridge as a potential solution to the inadequacies of the existing Cavenagh Bridge.3 In use since 1869, Cavenagh Bridge could no longer accommodate the growing vehicular and pedestrian traffic that came with the town’s rapid development.Moreover, the bridge was designed without the appropriate height allowance that would have enabled vessels to pass under it at high tide.

In 1904, the government of the Straits Settlements tasked the municipality to prepare the plans and estimates for a new bridge to be erected over the mouth of the Singapore River instead of enlarging or reconstructing Cavenagh Bridge.6

Designed by the municipal engineer, Robert Pierce, and his assistant D. M. Martin, Anderson Bridge has a basic arched structure comprising three steel arches with powerful ribs, two rusticated archways and a fluted pier at each end.It was constructed between 1908 and 1910 by the Public Works Department at the total cost of some $450,000 Straits dollars, or about £50,000, shared between the government of the Straits Settlements and the municipality.8 The Singapore Tramways Company contributed £3,000 towards the laying of lines for electric trams across the centre of the bridge to link the existing services at Tanjong Pagar and Bras Basah.

The superstructure was constructed by Howarth Erskine Ltd and the abutments by The Westminster Construction Company Ltd.10 The steelwork was fabricated in Britain and shipped over to Singapore while other components such as the railings, castings, rainwater channels, gully frames and covers were produced at the municipal workshops on River Valley Road.11 The plaque on the bridge is made of red granite imported from Aswan, Egypt.12 The original design for the bridge featured a pair of bronze lions but they were eventually left out for reasons of economy.13 

Anderson Bridge was refurbished in 1987 under the master plan to beautify the Singapore River.14 

The bridge is part of the circuit in the Singapore Grand Prix, which first debuted in 28 September 2008.15 
That same year, Anderson Bridge was selected for conservation by the Urban Redevelopment Authority.16 In August 2019, it was announced that Anderson Bridge, Elgin Bridge, and Cavenagh Bridge would be collectively gazetted as a National Monument.17


Vernon Cornelius & Janice Loo

1. Wan Meng Hao and Jacqueline Lau, Heritage Places of Singapore (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2009), 9. (Call no. RSING 959.57 WAN-HIS])
2. “Anderson Bridge Formally Opened Today by His Excellency,” Straits Times, 12 March 1910, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
3. “The Anderson Bridge,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 14 March 1910, 5; “Municipal Commission,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 14 March 1901, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
4. Wan and Lau, Heritage Places of Singapore, 9; Colin Cheong, Framework and Foundation: A history of the Public Works Department (Singapore: Times Editions for the Public Works Department, 1992), 58 (Call no. RSING 354.5957008609 CHE); “Anderson Bridge,” Straits Times, 20 August 1909, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
5. Ray K. Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Singapore Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 95. (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS])
6. “Singapore Municipality,” Straits Times, 8 August 1905, 6; “Anderson Bridge,” Straits Times, 1 July 1908, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
7. Cheong, Framework and Foundation, 57; Wan and Lau, Heritage Places of Singapore, 10; “The Anderson Bridge.”
8. “The Anderson Bridge”; Straits Settlements, Annual Departmental Reports of the Straits Settlements for the Year 1908 (As Laid Before the Legislative Council) (Singapore: Govt. Print. Off., 1909), 431. (Microfilm NL1135)
9. “The Anderson Bridge”; “Anderson Bridge”; “The Tramway Lines,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 12 February 1910, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
10. “The Anderson Bridge.”
11. “Anderson Bridge,” Straits Times, 12 March 1910, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
12. “The Anderson Bridge.”
13. “The Anderson Bridge.”
14. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 95; “Bridges to the Past Along the Singapore River,” Straits Times, 5 October 1986, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
15. “The 100-Year-Old Bridge,” Straits Times, 23 March 2010, 6. (From NewspaperS).
16. Tay Suan Chiang, “Twelve Iconic Structures,” Straits Times, 4 October 2008, 12. (From NewspaperSG)
17. “Three Singapore River Bridges and the Padang to Be Gazetted as National Monuments,” Today, 3 August 2019. (From Factiva NLB's eResources website)

The information in this article is valid as at September 2019 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Mount Faber


Mount Faber is located in the Bukit Merah area in the central region of Singapore. Standing at 106 m above sea level, it was originally known as Telok Blangah Hill. It was renamed Mount Faber in July 1845 after Charles Edward Faber of the Madras Engineers, who built a narrow...

River Valley


River Valley in central Singapore is a mixed-use area comprising residential, commercial and leisure developments. It was so named because the area lay in a valley between Fort Canning Hill and Pearl’s Hill. In the 1840s, there were two River Valley roads that ran along either side of the Singapore...

Singapore Civil Defence Force


The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) is a uniformed organisation that provides emergency services to the nation both during peacetime and under crisis. It serves not only as a fire-fighting authority, but also provides first-aid and rescue services, and acts as an educator on fire safety procedures. ...

Beaulieu House


Beaulieu House is located at 117 Beaulieu Road, within the grounds of what is now Sembawang Park. Built sometime in the 1910s, the house was believed to have been owned by a Jewish family by the name of David, before the building and the surrounding land were acquired by the...



Simei is one of the five subzones of the Tampines planning area located in the eastern region of Singapore. It is bounded by the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE), Upper Changi Road East and Bedok Park Connector. Measuring 225 ha in size, Simei makes up 11 percent of the total land area...



Sengkang is an estate located in the northeast region of Singapore. Sengkang derived its name from a road called Lorong Sengkang, off Lorong Buangkok....

Urban Redevelopment Authority


The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) is Singapore’s national land-use planning and conservation authority. It was formed in 1974, though it has its roots in the Urban Renewal Department set up by the Housing and Development Board (HDB) in the 1960s. Its mission is “to make Singapore a great city to...

St John's Island


St John's Island is a southern island famous for its history as a penal settlement but is now a holiday resort....

Helix Bridge


The Helix, commonly referred to as Helix Bridge, is the longest pedestrian bridge in Singapore. Opened in 2010, the bridge has a distinctive double helix structure modelled on the DNA structure. It overlooks Marina Bay, forming a curve next to the vehicular Bayfront Bridge and the Youth Olympic Park, and...

Golden Mile Complex


Golden Mile Complex is a residential and commercial development, situated between Nicoll Highway and Beach Road. Formerly known as Woh Hup Complex, it was developed as part of the Urban Renewal Department’s goal to redevelop Singapore’s central area in the 1960s. Over the years, it has become a popular location...