Ann Siang Road



Singapore Infopedia

by Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala

Background

Ann Siang Road in Chinatown begins from a road known as Ann Siang Hill and connects to Kadayanallur Street.1 It is named after Chia Ann Siang (1832‒1892) who was a wealthy Chinese businessman.2

History
Ann Siang Hill was originally known as Scott’s Hill and was owned by Charles Scott who cultivated a nutmeg and clove estate on it.3 He sold it to John Gemmill who christened it as Gemmill’s Hill. The hill became known as Ann Siang Hill after it came to be owned by Chia Ann Siang who built his house and estate on the site. A Cantonese burial ground, one of the oldest Chinese burial grounds in Singapore, was located at the foot of this hill where it met Mount Erskine and was in use until 1867. This graveyard was exhumed in 1907 and a portion of it was developed as  part of the Telok Ayer reclamation project.4 In the 1890s, a Malay college that provided education to young tungkus and ungkus, moved to Gemmill’s Hill from Telok Blangah.5


Description
Situated on the hill, both Ann Siang Road and Ann Siang Hill are lined with elegantly restored shophouses and richly decorated terraces. Most of these buildings were constructed between 1903 and 1941.6 Ann Siang Hill Park located at the end of Ann Siang Road is surrounded by shophouses near Ann Siang Road, Amoy Street and Club Street.7 The first Anglo-Chinese School in Singapore is located at 70 Amoy Street, near Ann Siang Road. Started by Methodist missionaries on 1 March 1886, it is now called ACS House and has been marked as a historic site by the Urban Redevelopment Authority.8 Another historic site, the original building of the Pondok Peranakan Gelam Club or Pondok Gelam, is located at Club Street near Ann Siang Hill. Home to a Bawean-Malay community from 1932 to 2000, this last pondok building (communal home) in Singapore was declared a historic site in 2000.9

Variant names
Chui-lan teng (Hokkien) and Sui-lan theng (Cantonese), meaning “Chui-lan pavilion”. A club named Chui-lan used to be situated on this hill.10



Author

Naidu Ratnala Thulaja



References
1. Mighty Minds Street Directory (Singapore: Angel Publishing Pte Ltd., 2014), 13, Map 132D. (Call no. RSING MMSD-[DIR])
2. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 20. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
3. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 452. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
4. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 20.
5. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 135.
6. Edwards and Keys, Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places, 452.
7. “Facelift for Two More Parks in Chinatown,” Straits Times, 22 June 2002, H2. (From NewspaperSG)
8. Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 200), 7 (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS]); “Heritage Schools,” Urban Redevelopment Authority (Singapore), accessed 1 July 2016.
9. Savage and Yeoh, Singapore Street Names, 87; Siti Andriane, “Singapore’s Last Pondok Named a Historic Site,” Straits Times, 31 January 2000, 42. (From NewspaperSG)
10. H. W. Firmstone, Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay PeninsulaJournal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 56­–57. (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 JMBRAS)



Further resources
Chinatown: The Debate,” Straits Times, 8 February 1999, 35. (From NewspaperSG)

Koh Buck Song, “Where Do You Stay?” Straits Times, 20 July 1992, 7. (From NewspaperSG)

Monica Gwee, “World Class? Dunno Lah,” Straits Times, 29 April 1999, 6. (From NewspaperSG)



The information in this article is valid as at 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the project. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

 

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Sailors' Home

ARTICLE

The Sailors’ Home in Singapore was a seamen’s lodging from the mid-19th to early 20th centuries. It became well known because novelist Joseph Conrad described his stay there in his novels, The Shadow-Line, The End of the Tether and Lord Jim. The home was established on High Street in 1851....

Dunlop Street

ARTICLE

Believed to be named after Colonel Samuel Dunlop, Dunlop Street in Little India is a one-way road connecting Jalan Besar to Serangoon Road. The most significant landmark along this street is the Abdul Gaffoor Mosque. ...

The Causeway

ARTICLE

The Causeway is a road and rail link between Singapore and Johor Bahru in Malaysia. Completed in 1923, the 1.05-kilometre Causeway cost an estimated 17 million Straits dollars and spans the Johor Straits (also known as the Tebrau Straits). At the Singapore end is the Woodlands customs, immigration and quarantine...

Frank Swettenham

ARTICLE

Sir Frank Athelstane Swettenham (b. 28 March 1850, Derbyshire, England–d. 14 June 1946, London, England) became Governor of the Straits Settlements on 17 February 1901 and remained in this post until 1904. He was the only governor to have spent his entire civil service career in Malaya and the Straits...

Chin Chew Street

ARTICLE

Chin Chew Street, in Chinatown, connects South Bridge Road and China Street. An Indian residential area in the 1820s, it later became synonymous with the samsui women who made this street their home in the early 20th century. ...

G. D. Coleman

ARTICLE

G. D. (George Dromgold) Coleman (b. 1795, Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland–d. 27 March 1844, Singapore) was Singapore’s pioneer colonial architect. He became the first Government Superintendent of Public Works when he was appointed in 1833. Coleman planned, surveyed and built much of early Singapore, shaping the course of Singapore’s architectural...

Pagoda Street

ARTICLE

Located in Chinatown, Pagoda Street runs parallel to Mosque Street and Temple Street. Together with Trengganu Street, it was converted into a pedestrian mall in 1997. ...

Phillip Street

ARTICLE

Phillip Street (or Philip Street) is a short one-way street in Chinatown that connects Chulia Street to Church Street. It was named either after William Edward Phillip, the governor of Penang (1820–26) or after Charles Phillip, the superintendent of the Sailors’ Home....

Read Bridge

ARTICLE

Read Bridge is a beam structured bridge that straddles the central part of the Singapore River. The bridge was officially opened by then Governor Cecil Clementi Smith on 18 April 1889....

Short Street

ARTICLE

Short Street begins at the junction where it meets Middle Road, Selegie Road and Wilkie Road. It connects Selegie Road to Rochor Canal Road. Although some suggest that the road might be named after Septimus Short, who spoke on public issues related to railways and docks, others posit that it...