World's first separation of adult Siamese twins in Singapore

Singapore Infopedia


Iranian twin sisters, Laleh and Ladan Bijani, were the world’s first adult Siamese twins to undergo surgical separation. The 52-hour marathon operation began on 6 July 2003 at Raffles Hospital in Singapore. However, 29-year-old twins, who were born conjoined at their heads, did not survive the operation, dying within 90 minutes of each other on 8 July 2003.1

Separation of adult Siamese twins had never been attempted before in the world prior to Laleh and Ladan’s case. Such an operation could kill or disable permanently either one or both of them, as it involves complex brain surgery on the adult twins’ fused brains. Hence, in 1996, doctors in Germany refused to operate on the twins due to the high risk involved. Upon learning of the successful separation of 10-month-old Nepalese twins, Ganga and Jamuna, in April 2001, Laleh and Ladan decided to come to Singapore to determine the feasibility of being operated on by Singapore doctors.2

The twins arrived in Singapore on 20 November 2002, hoping to be operated on by neurosurgeon Keith Goh, a key member of the team that separated the Nepalese twins successfully.3 The operation was to be undertaken by Raffles Hospital, a private hospital opened by Raffles Medical Group in 2001. The hospital agreed to undertake the risky operation for several reasons. Firstly, the hospital wanted to fulfill the desire of the twins to be separated. Secondly, the operation would promote Singapore as a regional medical hub, and the expertise of Raffles hospital’s doctors. Thirdly, it would promote friendship between the peoples of Singapore and Iran.4

The twins were aware that this was the start of a long journey to see the biggest dream of their lives come true: to live as two separate individuals as befit their different personalities.5 Ladan and Laleh wanted to study law and journalism respectively at university, but both ended up studying law. Laleh wanted to live and work in Tehran, while Ladan had thoughts of returning to their hometown of Shiraz and furthering her studies.6

After undergoing seven months of extensive medical and psychological tests as well as consultations with international experts, doctors at the hospital decided to proceed with the high-risk surgery, setting the operation date for 6 July 2003.7 A team consisting of 28 Singaporean and international specialists (from the United States, France, Japan and Switzerland) conducted the operation, with their professional fees waived as the sisters could not afford the operation.8 In addition, about 100 medical assistants were involved during the operation.9 Raffles Hospital bore the hospitalisation cost and the Raffles Medical Group established a Medical Samaritans Fund to help the sisters pay for medication and post-operative care which were estimated to be S$500,000.10 Later on, the Iranian government announced that they would pay for the twins’ operation.11

In the early hours of 6 July 2003, Laleh and Ladan Bijani were wheeled into the operating theatre to begin their marathon operation.12 The operation comprised three stages: a test to determine the pattern of blood flow in the veins, the opening of the skull and separation of the brains, followed by the reconstruction of the skin and soft tissue on the exposed area of their heads. The entire process was estimated to last four days, and involved about 12 specialists in neurosurgery, plastic surgery, radiology and anaesthesia.13

On the first day, a team of five neurosurgeons worked on the first stage of the operation led by Goh. Vascular surgeon Chia Kok Hoon from Tan Tock Seng Hospital and general surgeon Eric Teh worked on removing two sections from Ladan’s leg to be used to create a critical blood vessel in the brain of one of the sisters.14

Once this was done, nurses and technicians moved the unconscious twins, who were lying on their backs, into a sitting position in a special chair for the neurosurgery. At 8.15 pm, the critical second stage of the operation began. For about an hour, a team of five plastic surgeons led by Walter Tan cut through the twins’ skin, muscles and tissues to expose their skulls.15 However, the operation took a drastic turn at 6.30 pm on Monday, 7 July 2003, when doctors found that the new vein they had created in Ladan’s brain using a graft from her right thigh was blocked. At this point the team had to review the three options available to them: stop surgery; put them in intensive care after getting them out of anaesthesia, plan the next stage while risking their death and infection; or continue with the final stage of the separation.16 After speaking with the twins’ closest friends and being told that the twins wanted to be separated under all circumstances, the medical team persevered with the surgery.17

In the early afternoon of 8 July 2003, a Raffles Hospital spokesman broke the news that the twins had been separated, but they had lost a lot of blood. Amidst the cheers, he requested those present to pray for the sisters as the operation was still underway. At 2.30 pm on 8 July 2003, he returned to announce that Ladan had died due to failure in her blood circulation. At 3.45 pm Laleh’s blood circulation also failed and she died 15 minutes later.18

News of the twins’ deaths was received with shock, grief and sadness from Iranians and Singaporeans who were touched by their unyielding spirit and determination to pursue their dream.19

On Thursday, 10 July 2003, the twins’ bodies were flown back to Iran in separate coffins.20 Thousands of mourners lined the 10-kilometre street leading to the twins’ birthplace of Lohrasb, where they were finally laid to rest on 12 July 2003.21

With the sisters’ deaths, Raffles Hospital decided to use US$300,000 committed by the Iranian government to set up the Ladan and Laleh Memorial Fund to treat needy patients with chronic and complex neurological and neurosurgical conditions.22

Following the failure of the operation, an inquest was held to determine the cause of the twins’ deaths.23 On 6 March 2004, the state coroner gave a verdict of misadventure in his judgement of the case. The coroner was satisfied that the medical team had done their best. The cause of death was due to excessive blood loss through previously undetected blood vessels in the twins’ brains.24


Nureza Ahmad

1. Dominic Nathan, “Twins Head Home, Dream Fulfilled in Death,” Straits Times, 10 July 2003, 1; Lee Hui Chieh, “A Kiss, and Twins’ Marathon Begins,” Straits Times, 7 July 2003, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
2. Salma Khalik, “Iranian Twins Arrive Hoping to Be Separated,” Straits Times, 20 November 2002, 6. (From NewspaperSG)
3. Khalik, “Iranian Twins Arrive Hoping to Be Separated.”
4. Salma Khalik, “Second Pair of Siamese Twins Head for S’pore.” Straits Times, 11 October 2002, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
5. Khalik, “Iranian Twins Arrive Hoping to Be Separated.”
6. Salma Khalik, “So They Want Separate Lives,” Straits Times, 4 December 2002, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
7. Lee Hui Chieh, “Twins Get Nod for Risky Surgery,” Straits Times, 3 June 2003, 2; Lee, “Kiss, and Twins’ Marathon Begins.
8. Lee, “Twins Get Nod for Risky Surgery”; Lee Hui Chieh, “Bijani Sisters’ Deaths: Docs Not to Blame,” Straits Times, 7 March 2004, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
9. Lee, “Bijani Sisters’ Deaths.”
10. Lee, “Twins Get Nod for Risky Surgery.”
11. Lee Hui Chieh, “Twins’ Surgery in Critical Phase,” Straits Times, 8 July 2003, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
12. Lee, “Kiss, and Twins’ Marathon Begins.”
13. Lee, “Twins Get Nod for Risky Surgery.”
14. Lee, “Kiss, and Twins’ Marathon Begins.”
15. Lee, “Kiss, and Twins’ Marathon Begins.”
16. Dominic Nathan, “In the end, It Was Not to Be,” Straits Times, 9 July 2003, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
17. Nathan, “Was Not to Be.”
18. Nathan, “Was Not to Be.”
19. Nathan, “Twins Head Home”; Nathan, Was Not to Be.”
20. Nathan, “Twins Head Home.”
21. Sadroddin Moosavi, “Thousands Bid Twins Farewell in Hometown,” Straits Times, 13 July 2003, 6. (From NewspaperSG)
22. “Iran to Honour Ladan, Laleh with War Dead,” Straits Times, 11 July 2003, 3. (From NewspaperSG)
23. Karen Ho, “Inquiry into Iranian Twins’ Deaths,” Straits Times, 11 February 2004, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
24. Lee, “Bijani Sisters’ Deaths.”

The information in this article is valid as at 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Blood donation drive


An emergency blood collection service was started in Singapore in 1939 as war loomed in the Pacific. By 1941, there were thousands of blood donors registered. The Singapore Blood Transfusion Service (SBTS), however, was formed only in June 1946 after the Japanese Occupation of Singapore (1942–45)....

Felling of the Chengal Pasir tree


A Chengal Pasir tree near Halton Road in Changi was felled by DTZ Debenham Tie Leung Property Management Services (DTZ) on 20 November 2002. The tree was believed to be the last of its species in Singapore. DTZ was found guilty of illegally felling the tree and was fined S$8,000...

Lion City Cup


The Lion City Cup is a youth football tournament for boys. First held in 1977, the Cup has been credited with inspiring the creation of the FIFA U-16 World Championship. The Lion City Cup has featured national youth teams from Asia as well as the youth squads of clubs from...

Singapore General Hospital


Located at Outram Road, the Singapore General Hospital (SGH) established in 1821, is Singapore’s first general hospital and oldest medical institution. It had humble beginnings as a wooden shed built in the cantonment for troops situated near Bras Basah Road and Stamford Road. ...

Singapore’s first surviving IVF quadruplets


Singapore saw the successful delivery of its first surviving in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) quadruplets on 14 May 1989. A Mother's Day gift to Mr. and Mrs. H. T. Tan, the quadruplets – girls Chun Ping, Chun Li, Chun Di and their brother Min Bin had healthy birth weights between 1.5 and...

Nathaniel Wallich


Nathaniel Wallich (b. 28 January 1786, Copenhagen, Denmark–d. 28 April 1854, London, England) was a widely respected Danish surgeon and naturalist. He played a key role in persuading the British government to establish Singapore’s first botanical and experimental garden, which was located on Government Hill (presently Fort Canning Hill)....

Dental health campaign


The islandwide dental health campaign was launched in February 1969 as part of the Ministry of Health’s efforts to inculcate good dental hygiene habits from young. Led by the Ministry of Health in conjunction with the Ministry of Education, the programme comprised compulsory toothbrushing as part of the school curriculum,...

Old Changi Hospital


The site of Old Changi Hospital at Halton Road comprises three buildings – blocks 24, 37 and 161. These buildings were constructed as part of a military base built by British forces in the 1930s, with the design based on classical colonial bungalows. The hospital grounds originally covered 1.3 ha...

Malayan People's Anti-Japanese Army


The Malayan People’s Anti-Japanese Army (MPAJA) was a group of resistance fighters in Malaya, organised by the Malayan Communist Party (MCP) to fight against the Japanese in Japanese-occupied Malaya. Well aware of the communist influence in MPAJA, the British were prepared to arm them as long as the MPAJA kept...

Lancelot Maurice Pennefather


Lancelot Maurice Pennefather, also known as L. M. Pennefather (b. 1 January 1894, Malacca–d. 22 June 1982, Singapore) was a noted footballer, athlete, cricketer, weightlifter and hockey player. He was nicknamed “son of the devil” for his fearlessness. Pennefather represented Singapore in six Malaya Cup finals between 1922 and 1928....