Wesley Methodist Church

Singapore Infopedia


Wesley Methodist Church is located at 5 Fort Canning Road, in the Museum precinct of the Central Region in Singapore.1 Originally called the Methodist Episcopal Church, it was the first Methodist Church in Singapore,2 and was renamed Wesley Methodist Church in 1910.3 The main building was completed in 1908 and designed in the English Gothic style by Scottish architect David McLeod Craik from architectural firm Swan & Maclaren.4

Methodism in Singapore began in early 1885, after the arrival of Reverend William Fitzjames Oldham (b. 1854–d. 1937), who became the first resident Methodist missionary.5 The first worship services were held at the Town Hall (which later became Victoria Theatre) and the Christian Institute (located at the corner of Waterloo Street and Middle Road and still standing today) until December 1885.6 This English Church, as it was called then, had its first chapel at Coleman Street, and was dedicated on 15 December 1886.7 The congregation grew over the years and in early 1907, the Singapore government granted a 3,530-sq m site at Fort Canning for a new churchunder the leadership of Rev A.J. Amery.9

The first worship service at this new Methodist Episcopal Church was held on Christmas Day 1908. On 4 February 1909, it was dedicated by its Singapore founder, Reverend Oldham (subsequently Bishop Oldham).10 On 7 January 1910, the church was renamed Wesley Methodist Church after John Wesley, the founder of Methodism.11

The war years from 1941-45 saw the church building stripped and used as an ammunition depot. The only items that survived were a badly damaged Hammond organ, the lectern, the marble baptismal font, and the stained glass windows. In 1948, the Church was re-dedicated on Easter Day.12

Wesley Methodist Church is an English-style Gothic building with exposed brickwork, designed by architect David McLeod Craik.13

7 Feb 1885: Founding fathers of Methodism in Singapore and Malaysia14 Bishop James Thoburn (Dr) and Reverend William Oldham arrive from India and form the Methodist Church in Malaya.15 Regular services are held at the Town Hall and the Christian Institute at Middle Road.
22 Feb 1885: Oldham is appointed pastor and becomes the first resident Methodist missionary.16 Methodist Episcopal Church Dedication of first Methodist Episcopal Church at Coleman Street.17
1886: The Church, then known as the English Church, moves to a building in Coleman Street (later to become the Anglo-Chinese Primary School Hall).
1902: Renovations completed at Coleman Street Church, with new Welsbach gas burners replacing old kerosene lamps.

1907: In recognition of its contributions in the fields of missions and education,18 the government grants the Methodists a 3,530-sq m site at Fort Canning to build a new church “for the English-speaking Methodist congregation”.19
25 Dec 1908: The first worship service is held at the new church building.
4 Feb 1909: Dedication of the new church by its founder, Bishop William Oldham.20
7 Jan 1910: Change of name from “the English Church” to Wesley Church.21
1912: Electric fans and lights are installed.22
1928: Church hall is built.
1935: Church’s 15th-anniversary celebration, which is attended by Bishop Oldham.23
1937: A new Hammond electric organ, the first of its kind in Malaya, is dedicated and used.24
8 Feb 1942: Last pre-war service held at Fort Canning with Reverend Tyler Thomson. The church premises are taken over by Australian forces and used as an ammunition depot during World War II. Reverend H. B. Amstutz (Dr) is interned for three years.
12 Sep 1945: World War II ends and congregation at Wesley is reformed.
16 May 1948: Church buildings are re-dedicated after refurbishment.
1956: Wesley Church has its first Asian assistant pastor, Yap Kim Hao.
8 Dec 1957: Cornerstone for the educational wing is laid and its use begins in 1959.
26 Apr 1959: Dedication of the new church hall and educational block in the church grounds.25
The first Asian Methodist Bishop, Reverend Yap Kim Hao, is consecrated at Wesley Church.

1970: Reverend Kenneth Chellapah, who is appointed Pastor of Wesley, marks the end of 84 years of foreign missionary pastoral leadership.
1977: Church renovations begin and worship activities continue at Methodist Girls’ School.
1979: The renovated sanctuary and a new six-storey building are completed.26
1989: Church extension is completed and dedicated by Bishop Ho Chee Sin, Bishop Emeritus T. R. Doraisamy and Bishop Emeritus Kao Jih Chung.27
Administrative block is renovated.

1991: The 8th World Federation Assembly of Methodist Women is held at the church. A Ministry of the Hearing Impaired (MHI) is started.
1992: The Church becomes one of the founding members of St. Luke’s Hospital for the elderly.
1993: A Mandarin ministry is established. The Church also starts its monthly Filipino worship service.28
Wesley Heritage Corner is dedicated by Bishop Robert Solomon after extensive renovations. The Church celebrates its 120th anniversary. The book Our Stories, His Glory, and an interactive CD-ROM Welcome to Wesley are launched.29
The 125 years of history of Methodism in Singapore is marked by a Methodists’ Heritage Trail held on 31 October. The walk includes stops at the MPH building, as well as three of the oldest Methodist churches in Singapore – Wesley Methodist Church, Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church, and Short Street Tamil Methodist Church.30
2019: From 19 to 22 December, the Church holds a four-day event, Christmas at the Fort, to close off Singapore’s Bicentennial Celebrations. The event includes a heritage trail, as well as performances by up-and-coming musicians and well-known acts.31

Vernon Cornelius-Takahama

1. “Our History,” Wesley Methodist Church, accessed 15 December 2016; “Wesley Methodist Church,” National Heritage Board, accessed 18 April 2017.
2. Wesley Methodist Church (Singapore: Wesley Methodist Church, 2009), 3. (Call no. RCLOS 287.095957 WES)
3. Dhoraisingam S. Samuel, Singapore’s Heritage: Through Places of Historical Interest (Singapore: Elixir Consultancy Service, 1991), 153. (Call no. RSING 959.57 SAM-[HIS])
4. Theodore R. Doraisamy, ed., Forever Beginning: One Hundred Years of Methodism in Singapore (Singapore: Methodist Church in Singapore, 1985), 8. (Call no. RSING 287.095957 DOR); National Heritage Board, “Wesley Methodist Church”; Jane Beamish and Jane Ferguson, A History of Singapore Architecture: The Making of a City (Singapore: G. Brash, 1985), 92, 95. (Call no. RSING 722.4095957 BEA)
5. Doraisamy, Forever Beginning, 5, 8; Bobby E. K Sng, In His Good Time: The Story of the Church in Singapore, 1819–2002 (Singapore: Bible Society of Singapore: Graduates’ Christian Fellowship, 1993), 108. (Call no. RSING 280.4095957 SNG)
6. Doraisamy, Forever Beginning, 9–10; Sng, In His Good Time, 84, 106, 109.
7. Doraisamy, Forever Beginning, 9.
8. “Our History: Milestones of Grace: Early Years,” Wesley Methodist Church, accessed 26 September 2019.  
9. Wesley Methodist Church, 5.  
10. Doraisamy, Forever Beginning, 53.
11. Theodore R. Doraisamy, The March of Methodism in Singapore and Malaysia, 1885–1980 (Singapore: Methodist Book Room, 1982), 14. (Call no. RSING 287.095957 DOR); Doraisamy, Forever Beginning, 1.
12. Wesley Methodist Church, 5.  
13. Beamish and Ferguson, History of Singapore Architecture, 92, 95.
14. Wesley Methodist Church, 5.  
15. Doraisamy, Forever Beginning, 7.
16. Sng, In His Good Time, 105–106, 108; Doraisamy, Forever Beginning, 9–10.
17. Dhoraisingam, Singapore’s Heritage, 153.
18. Wesley Methodist Church, 5. 
19. Wesley Methodist Church, "Milestones of Grace.”
20. Doraisamy, Forever Beginning, 53.
21. Doraisamy, March of Methodism in Singapore and Malaysia, 14.
22. Wesley Methodist Church, "Milestones of Grace.”
23. Doraisamy, Forever Beginning, 134.
24. Wesley Methodist Church, "Milestones of Grace.”
25. “Our History: Milestones of Grace: 1940’s–1950’s,” Wesley Methodist Church, accessed 26 September 2019.
26. “Our History: Milestones of Grace: 1960’s–1970’s,” Wesley Methodist Church, accessed 26 September 2019.
27. “Our History: Milestones of Grace: 1980’s,” Wesley Methodist Church, accessed 26 September 2019.  
28. “Our History: Milestones of Grace: 1990’s,” Wesley Methodist Church, accessed 26 September 2019.  
29. Wesley Methodist Church, 7–10; Our History: Milestones of Grace: 2000–Present,” Wesley Methodist Church, accessed 26 September 2019.  
30. Leong Weng Kam, “Methodists Trace History in Heritage Trail,” Straits Times, 30 October 2010, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
31. “Christmas at the Fort Festival Draws 2,000 Strong Crowd,” Business Times, 21 December 2019; The Wesley Tidings: The Official Organ of Wesley Methodist Church (July 2019): 8–9. (Available via PublicationSG)

Further resource
Architect’s 36 Years in Malaya,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 3 August 1938, 5. (From NewspaperSG)

The information in this article is valid as at March 2020 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic. 

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Chan Kim Boon


Chan Kim Boon (b. 1851, Penang–d. 1920, Singapore?) is a Peranakan who gained fame with his Baba Malay translations of Chinese classics such as Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Water Margin....

South Seas Society, Singapore


The South Seas Society, Singapore (????; Nanyang Xuehui) is a non-profit scholarly society dedicated to Southeast Asian studies. Founded in 1940, it is the first academic society set up by overseas Chinese based in Southeast Asia focusing on this field. The society frequently publishes books and texts, and periodically organises...

Gay World (Happy World)


Gay World was one of three amusement parks built in Singapore before World War II and around which Singapore’s nightlife revolved from the 1920s to the ’60s. The other two were New World and Great World. Gay World was a popular entertainment joint before the advent of television and shopping...

Jawi Peranakkan


The Jawi Peranakkan, the first Malay newspaper in Singapore, was founded in 1876 and remained in circulation until 1895. The rise and demise of the newspaper was closely associated with the history of the Jawi Peranakan community in Singapore. The Jawi Peranakan were the Straits-born children of Malay-Indian parentage. ...

Chinese Christian Association


The Chinese Christian Association (CCA) was established in October 1889 and lasted for more than half a century. The group organised religious activities such as bible classes alongside secular activities including debates, lectures as well as drama and reading clubs. Through its literary and cultural movements, the CCA became a...

Nonya kebaya


The nonya (or nyonya) kebaya is an outfit that is most associated with the women of the Peranakan community, who are commonly known as nonyas (or nyonyas). The nonya kebaya is believed to have developed from the Malay baju panjang (long dress), which comprises a knee-length tunic worn over a...

New World Park


New World Park was the first of three renowned amusement parks (or the three “worlds”) that wooed Singapore night crowds from the 1920s to the ’60s. Opened on 1 August 1923, the park was located at Jalan Besar. In its heyday, New World Park had open-air cinemas, opera halls, shops...



Ponggal or Pongal, also known as Makara Sankranti, is celebrated in mid-January by South Indians as a festival marking the rice harvest. Pongal, a mixture of sweet boiled rice is made and offered to Surya, the Sun God. The name is derived from the Tamil word pongu, meaning “boil over”...

Song Ong Siang


Song Ong Siang (b. 14 June 1871, Singapore–d. 29 September 1941, Singapore) was a prominent member of the Straits Chinese community in Singapore and the first Chinese in Malaya to be knighted by the British. He distinguished himself as a community leader, lawyer, legislator, church elder, scholar and even a...

P. Krishnan


P. Krishnan (b. 1932, Johor, Malaya–), also known as Puthumaithasan, is regarded as one of Singapore’s Tamil literary pioneers. He is a prolific short-story writer, playwright, poet and radio broadcaster, with an oeuvre comprising more than 40 stories, 100 essays and 360 plays. Over the course of his career, P....