Grange Road

Singapore Infopedia


Grange Road runs from the junction of Cairnhill Road and Orchard Road to the junction of Napier Road and Tanglin Road. Constructed in 1866, the road was named after Grange House in Thomas Oxley’s estate.1

In 1846, Thomas Oxley (Dr) purchased a piece of land from the government that is bounded by what is presently River Valley Road, Tank Road, Grange Road and Orchard Road. The land, essentially a jungle then, held little value. Oxley developed it into a nutmeg plantation and the place came to be known as Oxley’s estate. An adjoining portion of the estate, also a nutmeg plantation, belonged to W.W. Willans while another portion belonged to G.G. Nicoll. A road was constructed in 1866 to serve as a private pathway leading to Oxley’s estate. This road was named Grange Road, after a large house in Oxley’s estate called Grange House. In the 19th century, a Teochew settlement or kampong (village) was also found off Grange Road. The road has been under the Urban Redevelopment Authority’s conservation scheme since 1991 to preserve the antiquity of the area, where a pre-1868 Victorian building called Spring Grove is also located.2

The Orchard Fountain Corner is located at the junction of Grange Road and Orchard Road. Next to the Fountain Corner is a landmark commercial property, the Orchard Building, which is opposite the popular cinema, Cathay Cineleisure Orchard. The road is lined with residential units once it crosses India House, a 42,351 sq. ft. pre-1920s colonial building, home to the Indian High Commission.3 Admiralty House, built in 1972, housed the Raffles Institution from 1972 to 1990 until the school moved to its new premises in Bishan.4 A Muslim cemetery was built in 1840 at Bukit Wakoff in the vicinity of Grange Road, on land donated by Syed Ali bin Mohammed Al-Junied, the son of Syed Omar who was an established 19th century Arab merchant from Palembang.5

The Ministry of Education Teachers’ Network (Grange Road Centre), a sprawling campus constructed in 1997, is located at the junction of Hoot Kiam Road and Grange Road. Next to it is Spring Grove that served as the residence for U.S. ambassadors to Singapore from 1936 to 1941 and periodically from 1946 to 1991, when it was sold to a commercial property developer. Spring Grove was a two-storey Victorian bungalow built on a 263,400 sq. ft. piece of land before 1868, and was later integrated into a condominium development. The bungalow belonged to Hoo Ah Kay (Whampoa) in 1845 and later Hans Becker of Behn Meyer & Company in 1906.6 Grange Garden is a 45,509 sq. ft. residential development that comprises a group of four-storey maisonettes overlooking a garden. At the junction of Cuscaden Road and Grange Road are two distinctive buildings: the Traders Hotel (now rebranded as Hotel Jen), built in 1995, and Tanglin Mall, a 130,000 sq. ft. shopping centre which opened in 1994.7


Naidu Ratnala Thulaja

1. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Toponymics: A Study of Singapore Street Names (Singapore: Eastern Universities Press, 2003), 140. (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA])
2. Savage and Yeoh, Study of Singapore Street Names, 140; Charles Burton Buckley, An Anecdotal History of Old Times in Singapore (Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1984), 405–6 (Call no. RSING 959.57 BUC-[HIS]); Peter K. G. Dunlop, Street Names of Singapore (Singapore: Who’s Who Publishing, 2000), 95, 233. (Call no. RSING 959.57 DUN-[HIS])
3. Narendra Aggarwal, “India Plans to Redevelop Three Large S'pore Freehold Properties,” Straits Times, 25 December 1995, 28. (From NewspaperSG)
4. “Nostalgia Time again for Former RI Boy,” Straits Times, 27 May 1990, 18 (From NewspaperSG); “Our History,” Raffles Institution, 2015; Adeline Chia, “Dream Park for Youth to Open in 2009,” Straits Times, 27 December 2006, H2. (From NewspaperSG)
5. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 183, 186, 226, 227, 496. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
6. Savage and Yeoh, Study of Singapore Street Names, 140; “New Residence for US Ambassador,” Straits Times, 28 June 1994, 36; “Old Buildings Win Architect 2 Awards,” Straits Times, 9 July 1998, 2; Soh Wen Lin, “Shophouse-Style and Modern Living Come to Light @ Cairnhill,” Straits Times, 25 March 2003, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
7. Rav Dhaliwal, “New Hotel Meets Basic Needs of Business Clients,” Straits Times, 7 February 1995, 22; Cat Ong, “Tanglin Mall Set to Liven Up Quiet Part of Orchard Road Belt,” Straits Times, 2 January 1995, 4; “Kuoks to Open Shopping Mall in December,” Straits Times, 29 September 1994, 36 (From NewspaperSG); “Traders Hotel Singapore Rebrands to Hotel Jen Singapore; Global First by Shangri-La,” Shangri-La International Hotel Management Ltd, accessed 23 December 2015.  

Further resources
Adeline Chia, “Dream Park for Youth to Open in 2009,” Straits Times, 27 December 2006, H2. (From NewspaperSG)

Bigger, Better Somerset Skate Park Opens in Orchard,” National Youth Council, 15 August 2016.

Cassandra Chew, “Great Scape,” Straits Times, 28 August 2005, 36. (From NewspaperSG)

Cat Ong, “Tanglin Mall Set to Liven Up Quiet Part of Orchard Road Belt,” Straits Times, 2 January 1995, 4. (From NewspaperSG)

Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt in Singapore,” Ministry of Foreign Affairs, accessed 15 August 2016.

Kuoks to Open Shopping Mall in December,” Straits Times, 29 September 1994, 36 (From NewspaperSG)

Leow Si Wan, “New Orchard Mall Targets Youth,” Straits Times, 21 September 2009, 22. (From NewspaperSG)

Nostalgia Time again for Former RI Boy,” Straits Times, 27 May 1990, 18 (From NewspaperSG)

Orchard Building,” Locanto, accessed 15 August 2016.

Orchard Fountain Corner,” Urban Redevelopment Authority, accessed 15 August 2016.

Our History,” Raffles Institution, 2015.

The Singapore Anti-Narcotics Association (SANA),” accessed 15 August 2016.

The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.




Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore



Sengkang is an estate located in the northeast region of Singapore. Sengkang derived its name from a road called Lorong Sengkang, off Lorong Buangkok....

Tanjong Rhu Road


Tanjong Rhu Road begins from the junction of Fort Road and Meyer Road, and ends near the Marina Reservoir. It runs parallel to the East Coast Parkway while part of the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway runs under Tanjong Rhu Road. This road used to be a marine yard and the centre...

Marina Reservoir


Marina Reservoir was officially opened on 31 October 2008. It was created with the completion of Marina Barrage, a low-level dam built across Marina Channel to separate the water in Marina Basin from the seawater. Managed by the Public Utilities Board (PUB), it is Singapore’s 15th reservoir and the first...

Bellevue Hotel


Bellevue Hotel, or Hotel Bellevue, was one of the renowned hotels in early Singapore and was featured in a few guidebooks published during the early 20th century. ...



Kallang is bounded by the northeastern boundary of the Central Area, the Central Expressway, the Pan Island Expressway, the proposed Kallang Expressway, Mountbatten Road and the East Coast Parkway. It covers nine subzones and a total area of 920.7 ha. Some of Singapore’s earliest settlers lived in Kallang. They were...

Elgin Bridge


Elgin Bridge spans the Singapore River and joins North Bridge Road to South Bridge Road. Built in 1862, the bridge was named after Lord James Bruce Elgin, the Governor-General of India (1862–1863) and eighth Earl of Elgin. The bridge functioned until January 1927, when it made way for the construction...

Karikal Lane


Karikal Lane refers to two short stretches of road, one off East Coast Road and the other branching off the first....

Macpherson Road


MacPherson is one of the five sub-zones in the Geylang Planning Area. MacPherson Road lies between Woodsville Flyover and MacPherson Lane. ...

Fort Fullerton


Fort Fullerton was one of the earliest forts built in Singapore, predating even Fort Canning. It was located at the mouth of the Singapore River and constructed with the aim of protecting the ships in the harbour. The fort was subsequently demolished and replaced by the Post Office in 1882,...



Outram is a planning area in Singapore’s Central Region. It is bounded by Havelock Road and Pickering Street to the north, Telok Ayer Street, Peck Seah Street and Stanley Street to the east, Gopeng and Kee Seng streets to the south, and Cantonment Road and Outram Road to the west....