Tan Teck Guan Building

Singapore Infopedia


Tan Teck Guan Building, located at 16A College Road, was built in 1911 to add to the existing facilities of the Straits and Federated Malay States Government Medical School (later known as King Edward VII College of Medicine). The building underwent renovations in 1985 and was gazetted as a national monument on 2 December 2002.1


The construction of the building was funded by a $15,000 donation from Tan Chay Yan, a philanthropist from Malacca and one of the earliest rubber planters in Malaya.2 The building was named after Tan’s father, who was a son of Tan Tock Seng.It was officially opened on 23 June 1911 by then Acting Governor of the Straits Settlements, E. L. Brockman.The building served as the medical school’s administrative block and housed various offices, a library, a reading room, a lecture room and a pathology museum.5

In 1926, when the College of Medicine Building was constructed for the medical school, the Department of Anatomy took over the Tan Teck Guan Building.6 During World War II, the laboratory in the building was used by the Japanese to develop biological warfare weapons.7

In 1982, it was decided that the medical school would move to the Kent Ridge campus, and the Ministry of Health proposed to restore and renovate the College of Medicine Building. In August 1985, the then Preservation of Monuments Board (now Preservation of Sites and Monuments) recommended that the Tan Teck Guan Building be preserved too. Both buildings were then renovated at a cost of S$14.4 million.8 When the latter officially reopened on 14 August 1987, it was occupied by the Ministry of Health, the Academy of Medicine and the College of General Practitioners.9

In December 2002, the Tan Teck Guan Building was gazetted for preservation as national monument by the Preservation of Monuments Board.10

An architect by the name of Draper designed the two-storey building, which features a Georgian façade with neo-classical elements.11 Its main entrance has an ornate archway supported by Doric columns. The upper level of the building has Ionic columns.12

The building was originally made mainly from timber trusses, floors and joists that sat on bricks. However, much of the timber had been badly infested with termites by the time of the building’s renovation in 1985, and had to be replaced with steel structures. Similarly, its timber window frames were replaced with new matching wooden ones. The roof tiles were also replaced with matching new ones from France. While the building’s internal granite staircase and balustrade were retained, two brick walls were removed to allow for flexible office installation.13

Justin Zhuang

1. Tommy Koh et al. eds., Singapore: The Encyclopedia (Singapore: Editions Didier Millet and National Heritage Board, 2006), 280. (Call no. RSING 959.57003 SIN-[HIS])
2. National University of Singapore, A Continuity of Ideals: Commemorating 90 Years of Medical Education (1905–1995): Medical Faculty, National University of Singapore (Singapore: Armour Pub., 1995), 17. (Call no. RSING 610.7115957 NAT)
3. “The Medical School: Opening of the Tan Teck Guan Building,” Straits Times, 24 June 1911, 8; “Death,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 6 March 1914, 6. (From NewspaperSG)
4. “The Medical School: Opening of the Tan Teck Guan Building.”
5. E. S. Teo, “The History of the College of Medicine and Tan Teck Guan Buildings,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore 34, no. 6 (2005), 61C–71C, 64C. (Call no. RSING 610.5 AMSAAM)
6. Lawrence H. H. Lim and Lee Yong Kiat, To Commemorate the Re-opening of the College of Medicine Building, August 1987 (Singapore: Ministry of Health, 1987). 9. (Call no. RSING 610.7115957 TO)
7. Phan Ming Yen, “Tampoi Lab May Not Be First in S-E Asia,” Straits Times, 22 October 1993, 5. (From NewspaperSG)
8. Lim and Lee, To Commemorate the Re-opening of the College of Medicine Building, 2–3.
9. “Partners in Pursuit of Excellence,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore 16, no. 4 (1987), 716 (Call no. RSING 610.5 AMSAAM); Lim and Lee, To Commemorate the Re-opening of the College of Medicine Building, 4.
10. Genette Koh, “Three Historic Buildings Picked for Preservation,” Straits Times, 6 December 2002, 13. (From NewspaperSG)
11. “The Medical School,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 26 June 1911, 10 (From NewspaperSG); Teo, “History of the College of Medicine and Tan Teck Guan Buildings,” 61C–71C, 64C.
12. Lim and Lee, To Commemorate the Re-opening of the College of Medicine Building, 3–4.
13. Teo, “History of the College of Medicine and Tan Teck Guan Buildings,” 61C–71C, 70C.

Further resource
Shiji mi ma. Chen De Yuan dalou 史迹密码. 陈德源大楼 [History teller. Tan Teck Guan Building], directed by Guo Li Juan, produced by Feng Bi Hui (Singapore: MediaCorp Studios, 2007), videodisc, 25 min. (Call no. Chinese RSING 362.1095957 HIS)

The information in this article is valid as at July 2021 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Tan Eng Yoon


Tan Eng Yoon (b. 8 January 1928, Singapore – d. 30 January 2010, Singapore) was a former Singapore athlete, coach and sports administrator. As an athlete, he participated in the Olympic Games, Asian Games and inaugural Southeast Asian Peninsular (SEAP) Games in 1959, where he won a gold medal for...

Ren Ci Community Hospital


Ren Ci Community Hospital (RCCH) is one of the healthcare facilities under the voluntary welfare organisation, Ren Ci. The 15-storey hospital began operations in December 2008 and was officially declared opened on 11 January 2010. It provides rehabilitative and recuperative care for patients who require extended hospital stays. ...

National Heritage Board


The National Heritage Board (NHB) is a statutory board established on 1 August 1993 under the then Ministry of Information and the Arts. Its formation was part of the recommendations of the 1989 Report of the Advisory Council on Culture and the Arts. The goal was to make Singapore a...

Former Victoria School building


The former Victoria School (VS) building is an architectural landmark on Tyrwhitt Road in Jalan Besar. The building initially housed the all-boys Victoria School (1933–1984) and later the Christ Church Secondary School (1985–2001) before serving as the People’s Association (PA) headquarters from 2009. Designed by architect Frank Dorrington Ward and...

Lee Yong Kiat


Lee Yong Kiat (Prof) (b. 8 October 1928, Singapore–d. 22 April 2013, Singapore) was a pioneering physician and medical administrator. He was the medical superintendent at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) and then at Kandang Kerbau Hospital (KKH) during the 1960s. From 1971 to 1988, he was the chief of...

Felling of the Chengal Pasir tree


A Chengal Pasir tree near Halton Road in Changi was felled by DTZ Debenham Tie Leung Property Management Services (DTZ) on 20 November 2002. The tree was believed to be the last of its species in Singapore. DTZ was found guilty of illegally felling the tree and was fined S$8,000...

Bukit Batok Memorial


The Bukit Batok Memorial, which consisted of the Syonan Chureito and British Memorial Cross, was built during the Japanese Occupation to honour dead soldiers of the Japanese and British forces. Located at Bukit Batok Hilltop (present Bukit Batok Nature Park) in Lorong Sesuai, off Bukit Timah Road, the memorial was...

The Battle of Opium Hill


The Battle of Opium Hill on 14 February 1942 at Pasir Panjang was one of the fiercest battles that took place in Singapore in World War II. It pitted the invading Japanese Imperial Army against the brave but heavily out-numbered troops of the Malay Regiment. The battle is also remembered...

Patricia Chan Li Yin


Patricia Chan Li Yin (b. 12 April 1954, Singapore–), popularly known as Pat Chan, was the “Golden Girl” of regional swimming between 1965 and 1973. The most accomplished in a family of talented swimmers, Chan dominated the 100-metre freestyle event. She captured 39 gold medals over five Southeast Asian Peninsular...

Malay Regiment


The Malay Regiment was an all-Malay military force formed at Port Dickson, Malaya, on 1 March 1933 under the command of British officers. Also known as Askar Melayu in Malay, the regiment is best remembered for its soldiers’ display of bravery and loyalty in the Battle of Pasir Panjang during...