Robinson Road

Singapore Infopedia

by Cornelius, Vernon


A significant part of Singapore’s commercial centre,1 Robinson Road stretches from Maxwell Road to Finlayson Green.2 The street was named after Francis William Robinson, the governor of the Straits Settlements from 1877 to 1879.3

Robinson Road was built on reclaimed land after the 1879 Telok Ayer reclamation project, but its distance from the sea has increased as more land was reclaimed subsequently.4 The government constructed Robinson Road – stretching from Collyer Quay to the docks at Tanjong Pagar – between Finalyson Green and Anson Road, in exchange for land to build a defence battery on Mount Palmer (now part of Tanjong Pagar).5

For years, the headquarters of the Criminal Investigation Department and Chinese daily Sin Chew Jit Poh were located on Robinson Road.6

Crosby House, a seven-storey office complex, is a landmark at the corner of Robinson Road and McCallum Street. The office complex used to be owned by the Standard Chartered Bank and later by Singtel.7 In 2006, Singtel sold the property to joint-venture group Kajima-Lehman (Robinson) Development Pte Ltd.8

Buildings along Robinson Road include architecture built in the 1920s and 1930s, such as the curved Telecoms Building – previously known as the Eastern Extension Telegraph Company (1927) and then Cable and Wireless Building.9 The Telecoms Building was renamed Telecommunications Authority of Singapore Building and later became Ogilvy Centre.10 The building now houses the five-star hotel, So Sofitel Singapore.11

Another historical building in the vicinity is Lau Pa Sat (former Telok Ayer Market). A fully restored and preserved monument, the market was renamed Lau Pa Sat in 1989.12

Today, skyscrapers such as Robinson Point, Capital Tower and AIA Tower can be found along Robinson Road.13

Variant names
Heng-liong koi in Hokkien and heng-lung kai in Cantonese: referring to the business Chop Heng Long, which belonged to Lok Yu, a well-known towkay (“businessman” in Hokkien) who operated along Robinson Road.14

Lo-man-san kai: transliteration of “Robinson Street” in Cantonese.15


Vernon Cornelius

1. Urban Redevelopment Authority, “URA Launches Tender for Commercial Site at Robinson Road/Cecil Street,” news release, 28 June 2011.
2. “URA Space,” Urban Redevelopment Authority, accessed 2 March 2017.
3. Ray Tyers and Siow Jin Hua, Ray Tyers’ Singapore: Then & Now (Singapore: Landmark Books, 1993), 1324 (Call no. RSING 959.57 TYE-[HIS]); S. Durai Raja-Singam, Malayan Street Names: What They Mean and Whom They Commemorate (Ipoh: The Mercantile Press, 1939), 135. (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 RAJ)
4. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 134; View of Robinson Road at the junction of Cross Street, 1920, National Museum of Singapore Collection, National Heritage Board.
5. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 134; Raja-Singam, Malayan Street Names, 135.
6. Singapore Press Holdings (SPH), Workmen ‘Fortifying’ Headquarter of Singapore Criminal Investigation Department (CID) at Robinson Road with Metal Gates as Part of Singapore Police Security Measures to Provide All Police Stations with Metal ‘Aprons’, 7 February 1950, photograph, National Archives of Singapore (media-image no. PCD0088 – 068); Singapore Press Holdings (SPH), Robinson Road, Singapore, Where Sin Chew Jit Poh Is Located, 22 August 1959, photograph, National Archives of Singapore (media-image no. PCD0135 – 054)
7. “Telecoms Buys Crosby House for $30M,” Business Times, 16 August 1985, 1 (From NewspaperSG); Singapore Post Pte. Ltd, Annual Report 2002/03 (Singapore: Singapore Post, 2003), 22. (Call no. RSING 383.495957 SPSPAR-[AR])
8. Conrad Tan, “SingTel Sells Robinson Rd Site for $163M,” Business Times, 23 October 2006, 5. (From NewspaperSG)
9. Tyers and Siow, Ray Tyers’ Singapore, 134; Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 456. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
10. “A Neo-Classical Home for TAS,” Business Times, 9 February 1993, 24; Joyce Lin, “Preserving History,” Straits Times, 25 May 2012, 46. (From NewspaperSG)
11. “So Sofitel Singapore,” Sofitel Singapore, accessed 17 April 2017.
12. “Former Telok Ayer Market (now known as Lau Pa Sat),” National Heritage Board, accessed 2 March 2017.
13. Urban Redevelopment Authority, “URA Space.”
14. H. W. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places in Singapore and the Malay Peninsula,” Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42 (February 1905): 124–5. (Call no. RQUIK 959.5 JMBRAS)
15. Firmstone, “Chinese Names of Streets and Places, 124–5.

The information in this article is valid as of 2014 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Havelock Road


Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, goes down along and almost parallel to the Singapore River, and stretches until Eu Tong Sen Street before it opens into Upper Pickering Street. Havelock Road was named by...

G. D. Coleman


G. D. (George Dromgold) Coleman (b. 1795, Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland–d. 27 March 1844, Singapore) was Singapore’s pioneer colonial architect. He became the first Government Superintendent of Public Works when he was appointed in 1833. Coleman planned, surveyed and built much of early Singapore, shaping the course of Singapore’s architectural...

Ophir Road


Ophir Road begins as an offshoot from Rochor Canal Road, and ends at Republic Boulevard at one point and East Coast Parkway at another point. It runs parallel to Rochor Road. Landmarks along the road include Raffles Hospital and the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. ...

Kim Seng Road


Kim Seng Road was named after Peranakan philanthropist Tan Kim Seng. ...

Johnston's Pier


Johnston’s Pier was a jetty that once stood along Collyer Quay, opposite Fullerton Square and the Hong Kong Bank Building on Battery Road. Built to facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, it was completed on 13 March 1856. In its time, many famous dignitaries – including British royalty and...

Magazine Road


Magazine Road connects Havelock Road and Merchant Road. The road probably got its name due to its association with the old ammunition storage ground of Havelock Road....

Short Street


Short Street begins at the junction where it meets Middle Road, Selegie Road and Wilkie Road. It connects Selegie Road to Rochor Canal Road. Although some suggest that the road might be named after Septimus Short, who spoke on public issues related to railways and docks, others posit that it...

Kranji Road


Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji Loop. The road is named after a local tree, the pokok keranji (Malay for kranji or keranji tree) or the Dialium indum, which was found in abundance in...

Kampong Java Road


Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus. ...

Chin Chew Street


Chin Chew Street, in Chinatown, connects South Bridge Road and China Street. An Indian residential area in the 1820s, it later became synonymous with the samsui women who made this street their home in the early 20th century. ...