Be Part Of The World Cup Action On The "Football Pitch" At The National Library Building's Plaza
5 December 2022
Watch the World Cup finals and third-place play-off at the National Library Building as the National Library Board (NLB) transforms the ground-floor Plaza into a “football pitch” with green cushioned vinyl flooring. Join up to 500 patrons for the free live screenings on a 300-inch screen on 17 and 18 December 2022, as the best players of the world tussle for the famous golden trophy in Qatar.
Football fans can enjoy a picnic with both halal and non-halal food options available for purchase, and win NLB memorabilia in pre-match trivia games on one of the world’s most popular sports. Are you ready for the skills, thrills and spills of the World Cup?
Here is a Hat-Trick of Highlights You Can Look Forward to:
- Live action on a massive screen – A 300-inch screen will welcome patrons into the thick of the football action. Fans can look forward to being almost by the pitch side to witness the kick-offs, the headers, the nail-biting penalty shots and exhilarating goals, while cheering for their favourite teams.
- Spacious “pitch side” area – The Plaza at Level 1 of the National Library Building will be converted into a football “pitch” with green cushioned vinyl flooring where up to 500 patrons can set up their own picnic mats or beach chairs to catch the matches in comfort with family and friends. There will also be an accessible area reserved for wheelchair users.
- Choice of food and beverage for all – Halal and non-halal options will be available for purchase on-site. On both days, Harry’s (non-halal) will operate from 8pm till 12.30am, while Hanis (halal-certified) will offer takeaways from 9pm till 11.30pm.
Pre-match Activities for All
- Infotainment – NLB will be screening a specially produced five-minute video showcasing interesting and lesser-known football fun facts and history, curated from NLB’s collection of physical and digital materials. The video includes a feature of the recently published book “ROAR: Football Legends of Singapore”, which pays tribute to 100 years of local football history.
- Trivia Quizzes – From 9pm to 10.45pm, patrons can look forward to scoring a few of their own points in football trivia quizzes and win attractive NLB memorabilia.
The full programme schedule can be found in the ANNEX.
Advisory to the Public
- Timing - Patrons may wish to arrive from 8pm to secure a good seating area and enjoy the F&B options available. The screenings will end at approximately 1am when the matches conclude, and patrons are encouraged to dispose of their litter before they leave in an orderly manner.
- Driving and parking options – The National Library Building carpark will stay open throughout the two days of screenings on 17 and 18 December. Usual parking charges will apply.
- Public transport options – Patrons are encouraged to use public transport/private car hire, especially for those who intend to consume alcohol.
- Be considerate to others – As The Plaza is a shared public space, patrons are encouraged to be considerate of others. This includes responsible consumption of alcohol, no smoking, no littering, and to avoid blocking others’ view during the match.
FIFA WORLD CUP SCREENINGS AT THE PLAZA @ THE NATIONAL LIBRARY BUILDING
SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, 17 AND 18 DECEMBER 2022
Address: National Library Building
The Plaza, Level 1
100 Victoria Street
- The football “pitch” at The Plaza at the National Library Building opens
- Patrons are welcome to find a seating area and purchase food and beverages at the event
9pm to 10.45pm
- Screening of NLB’s specially produced football video
- Football trivia quizzes with prizes to be won
11pm to 1am
- Screening of the third-place play-off on 17 December, and the finals on 18 December
- End of screening, when the match ends
About the National Library Board
The National Library Board (NLB) nurtures Readers for Life, Learning Communities and a Knowledgeable Nation by promoting reading, learning and history through its network of 28 libraries, the National Library and the National Archives of Singapore. NLB also forges strategic partnerships that encourage awareness, appreciation and greater discovery of Singapore's history through its rich collections in Singapore and the region.
NLB achieves excellence through innovation, focusing on citizen engagement and co-creation, resource and digital innovation. This creates learning opportunities, greater access to library resources, services, and archival collections, as well as a continual development of innovative library spaces. Established on 1 September 1995 as a statutory board, NLB is under the Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI).
For more information, please visit the NLB website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube channels.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Tel: 9430 1103