Caledonian Hotel



Singapore Infopedia

by Chia, Joshua Yeong Jia

Background

Caledonian Hotel, which was established in 1904, was one of the principal hotels in Singapore in the early 20th century.1 It was also said to be “the only British hotel in Singapore” at the time.2

History
Located at 77 Bras Basah Road, Caledonian Hotel was opened in 1904. It was listed in that year’s Singapore and Straits Directory as a principal hotel. The proprietor and manager were Thomas Sargeant and Thomas Martin Connolly respectively.

The hotel was housed at the site formerly occupied by Central Hotel, whose proprietor (Connolly) later became the manager of Caledonian Hotel.4 In 1908, the hotel came under a new management team, and was renovated and installed with electric lights, fans and gas. Uniformed staff were available to receive guests at Johnston’s Pier and Tanjong Pagar Wharves.5

Caledonian Hotel most probably ceased operations sometime in the 1910s.6 The building was subsequently occupied by a number of other hotels, including St George Hotel, Oriental Hotel, Metropole Hotel and Rex Hotel.7 After Rex Hotel, the premises was taken over in 1948 by the Mountbatten Club for British servicemen.8 Today, Carlton Hotel stands at the former site of the building.9

Description
At the time of its opening in 1904, The Straits Times newspaper described the Caledonian Hotel as a “handsome building” with a “cool restful appearance”, and with the interior “fitted in a most generous style”. The hotel had a large hall on the ground floor that was used as a billiard room-cum-bar. The billiard room was decorated with mirrors and furnished with six billiard tables imported from London.10

An advertisement in the book Souvenir of Singapore, which was published in 1905, dubbed the hotel “the only British hotel in Singapore”. It was described as a recently renovated and beautifully decorated hotel with 40 well-ventilated bedrooms, each installed with an electric bell and an en-suite bathroom. The hotel reportedly served excellent cuisine as well as “the choicest brands of wines and spirits”.11 

In advertisements published in the Eastern Daily Mail and Straits Morning Advertiser in 1905, the hotel was called “the lightest and brightest rendezvous in the colony, and it was claimed that “those who stay at the Caledonian wear [a] smile that won’t come off”.12



Author

Joshua Chia Yeong Jia



References
1. “‘The Caledonian’,” Straits Times, 22 June 1904, 5 (From NewspaperSG); G. M. Reith, Handbook to Singapore (Singapore: Oxford University Press, 1985), 85. (Call no. RSING 959.57 REI-[HIS])
2. Souvenir of Singapore: A Descriptive and Illustrated Guide Book of Singapore
(Singapore: Straits Times Press, 1905), 105. (Call no. RRARE 915.957 SOU; microfilm NL16348)
3. “‘The Caledonian’”; Singapore and Straits Directory (Singapore: Mission Press, 1904), 114. (Call no. RRARE 382.09595 STR; microfilm NL1181)
4. Singapore and Straits Directory (Singapore: Mission Press, 1902), 109 (Call no. RRARE 382.09595 STR; microfilm NL1181); Singapore and Straits Directory, 114.
5. “Page 2 Advertisements Column 1,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 21 September 1908, 2; “Page 1 Advertisements Column 2,” Straits Times, 15 October 1908, 1; “Page 1 Advertisements Column 2,” Straits Times, 15 December 1908, 1. (From NewspaperSG)
6. “The Caledonian Hotel,” National Heritage Board, accessed 3 May 2019.  
7. “New Hotel,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 21 September 1923, 6; “Local Hotel to Let,” Straits Times, 10 January 1937, 4; “Air-Conditioned Rooms for New Hotel,” Straits Times, 6 March 1938, 2. (From NewspaperSG)
8. “Services Club Moving to New Site,” Straits Times, 13 April 1948, 7. (From NewspaperSG)
9. National Heritage Board, “The Caledonian Hotel.”
10. “‘The Caledonian’.”
11. Souvenir of Singapore, 105.
12. “Page 4 Advertisements Column 3,” Eastern Daily Mail and Straits Morning Advertiser, 15 September 1905, 4; “Page 4 Advertisements Column 3,” Eastern Daily Mail and Straits Morning Advertiser, 9 October 1905, 4. (From NewspaperSG)



The information in this article is valid as at May 2019 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic. 


Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

David Elias Building

ARTICLE

The David Elias Building, completed in 1928, is situated at the junction of Short Street and Middle Road. The building features various Stars of David in bas-relief on its facade. The words “David Elias Buildings” and the year of its completion are inscribed beneath the Star of David at the...

Mount Emily Swimming Pool

ARTICLE

Mount Emily Swimming Pool was the first public pool in Singapore, and was located along Upper Wilkie Road, where Mount Emily Park stands today. The pool, which was converted from a municipal reservoir, was opened to the public on 10 January 1931. ...

Onan Road

ARTICLE

Onan Road stretches from Geylang Road to a low-rise residential area around Fowlie Road (near East Coast Road). It runs parallel to Joo Chiat Road and its history is closely linked with that of Joo Chiat and nearby Katong....

Joseph Aaron Elias

ARTICLE

Joseph Aaron Elias (b. 1881, Calcutta, India–d. 16 July 1949, Singapore), also known as Joe Elias, was a successful entrepreneur and well-known personality in Singapore’s Jewish community. He held offices as a justice of peace and municipal commissioner of Singapore. Elias Road and Amber Road were named after his family....

Meyer Road

ARTICLE

Meyer Road stretches from Tanjong Rhu Road to Tanjong Katong Road. Today, Meyer Road is a prime residential district with private houses as well as condominiums. A stone's throw away from the East Coast Park, Meyer Road is easily accessible by the East Coast Expressway extending from the city to...

Ceylon Road

ARTICLE

Located in the eastern part of Singapore in the Joo Chiat/Katong district, Ceylon Road connects East Coast Road and Crane Road. The road was named after the island Ceylon (now known as Sri Lanka), as a large Ceylonese Tamil community had settled down around the area in the 19th century....

Labrador Park/Fort Pasir Panjang

ARTICLE

Labrador Park/Fort Pasir Panjang, former defence battery, nature park and designated reserve area, is located in Singapore’s Central Region. The name Labrador is derived from “Labrador Villa”, the name of the residence of prominent ship chandler, George John Mansfield, built in 1881. Known as Fort Pasir Panjang, it was one...

Singapore Fire Brigade

ARTICLE

Singapore’s first firefighters formed a brigade in 1869, which was officially recognised as the Singapore Fire Brigade in 1888. The current firefighting force is known as the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). ...

Marina Barrage

ARTICLE

Marina Barrage is a government-commissioned dam built across the mouth of Marina Channel to create Singapore’s 15th reservoir, Marina Reservoir. Officially opened on 31 October 2008, it separates the water in Marina Basin from the seawater. It has been considered an engineering marvel because of its magnitude and complexity, and...

Boon Lay

ARTICLE

Boon Lay is located in the western region of Singapore next to Jurong West. The area was named after Chew Boon Lay, one of Singapore’s early pioneers who owned extensive rubber plantations in the area during the early 20th century. With the development of the neighbouring Jurong area into a...