Release Date : 24 Feb 2012
WELCOME ADDRESS BY MRS ELAINE NG, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, NATIONAL LIBRARY BOARD AT THE LAUNCH OF MOLLY, THE MOBILE LIBRARY BUS ON FRIDAY, 24 FEBRUARY 2012, 9.15AM AT FERNVALE GARDENS SCHOOL
Ms Grace Fu,
Senior Minister of State for Information, Communications and the Arts and the Environment and Water Resources
Ladies and Gentlemen
1. Good morning. It is my pleasure to welcome you to the launch of Molly, the National Library Board's newly retrofitted Mobile Library bus. I would also like to thank Senior Minister of State Ms Grace Fu for kindly gracing this event.
Fernvale Gardens School's Dedicated Support
2. We are grateful to the Movement of the Intellectually Disabled of Singapore and Fernvale Gardens School for allowing us to launch Molly at their school. Thank you for working very closely with us in bringing the benefits and joys of reading to your students.
Objectives of Molly
3. Today's event marks a new chapter for Molly, our Mobile Library bus service since the launch of its first prototype in April 2008. Including the National Library, we have 25 libraries located across Singapore. However, we recognise that despite this wide network of libraries, there could be constraints that prevent some Singaporeans from making regular visits to the libraries, so Molly is an effort on our part which brings the library resources closer to everyone's doorsteps. This is part of our ongoing efforts to make the library services more inclusive and accessible.
4. As at the end of 2011, Molly has reached out to more than 400 organisations including the special education schools, voluntary welfare organisations and homes, and served more than 230,000 users. It was also heartwarming for us to receive more than 200 notes from users who wrote in to tell us how Molly has benefited them. For example, a little boy called Syazwan expressed his heartfelt thoughts through this artwork, “Thank you. I like Molly because Molly bus comes to our school. I like reading”. Another student, Nicolette also shared “I love Molly bus, thank you”. So, we are very grateful to people who take the time to share their thoughts with us.
Newly Enhanced Services of Molly
5. Today, we present you with the new Molly – “Molly reloaded”. Molly is enhanced with the new technological features which include an in-built bookdrop as well as iPads to enable people to try out eBooks and eResources. Molly also comes packed with a wide variety of carefully selected books and audio-visual materials.
6. Finally, I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to the sponsors who helped us make this happen and who have supported us through all these years, and to the schools, organisations and homes which have helped us to launch the reloaded Molly.
7. Thank you.