This is a Government of Singapore website. If you are only browsing this website, we do not capture data that allows us to identify you individually. The National Library Board, Singapore (NLB) collects information from our users for a number of reasons, the chief one being to better understand our users and their needs.
Please read carefully our policy on data collection and use of the data collected.
When is information collected from you?
- When you register as a member of NLB or for any services offered by NLB
- When you use any NLB service and provide your personal particulars
- When you take part in any contest, survey or promotion conducted by NLB and/or its business partners
- When you register as a member of websites hosted by NLB on behalf of its business partners or use services on such websites
What is the information used for?
- To provide goods and services by NLB or its designated representatives and/or business partners to you or parties designated by you and matters ancillary thereto
- To verify and process payment when you purchase goods and services from our sites
- For verification and record of your personal particulars including comparing it with information from other sources and using the information to communicate with you
- To conduct statistical analysis of the users of our sites including the number of users, the frequency of use, profile of users and using such analysis for our business plans, the enhancement of our products and services, targeted advertisements and conveying such information in broad terms (but not information in relation to specific individuals) to third parties who have or propose to have business dealings with us
- To send you information, promotions and updates including marketing and advertising materials in relation to our goods and services and those of third party organizations selected by us
- To comply with any order of court or directive from authorities investigating any alleged offence, misdeeds and/or abuse or for the purposes of taking legal action against any users for breach of the Conditions of Use.
- For the above purposes by third parties (who may be based outside Singapore) who offer goods and services or sponsor contests or other promotional programs on our site, whether in conjunction with us or not, if you purchase such goods, use such services or participate in such contests and promotional programs.
What about Children’s Privacy?
NLB takes special care to protect the privacy needs of children under the age of 13 and encourages parents to be an active participant in their child’s online activities and interests.
Can you opt out?
Whenever we send you any information, we will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and a link to do so. If you do not wish to receive further information of a similar nature, you may unsubscribe via this link or by sending us email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will your personal information be shared with anyone?
We are committed to safeguarding your privacy. As a general rule, we do not disclose specific information about our users to any third parties unless so required by law or any government agencies. All communication whether from us or our business partners will be sent to you by us.
However, in the event that you participate in contests or other promotional programs on our site sponsored or organized by third parties or purchase goods and services offered by third parties or offer goods and services to third parties on our sites, your information may be disclosed to and used by such third parties.
How your data is protected?
NLB will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal data are protected from unauthorized access. Any information gathered by NLB is stored in systems that may only be accessed by authorized staff of NLB using assigned user ids and passwords.
NLB uses “cookies”, where a small data file is sent to your browser to store and track information about you when you enter our websites. The cookie is used to track information such as the number of users and their frequency of use, profiles of users and their preferred sites. While this cookie can tell us when you enter our sites and which pages you visit, it cannot read data off your hard disk.
If you choose to make an application or send us an email for which you provide us with personally identifiable data, we may share necessary data with other Singapore Government agencies, so as to serve you in a most efficient and effective way, unless such sharing is prohibited by legislation. We will NOT share your personal data with non-Singapore Government entities, except where such entities have been authorized to carry out specific Singapore Government services.
For your convenience, we may also display to you data you had previously supplied us or other Singapore Government agencies. This will speed up the transaction and save you the trouble of repeating previous submissions. Should the data be out-of-date, please supply us the latest data. We will retain your personal data only as necessary for the effective delivery of public services to you.
To safeguard your personal data, all electronic storage and transmission of personal data are secured with appropriate security technologies.
This site may contain links to non-Singapore Government sites whose data protection and privacy practices may differ from ours. We are not responsible for the content and privacy practices of these other websites and encourage you to consult the privacy notices of those sites