Not sure what kidsREAD is about? Here are some background information such as kidsREAD’s objectives, programme structure, our target beneficiaries and even a video on our past kidsREAD events!
The National kidsREAD programme (kidsREAD in short) is a nationwide reading programme officially launched on 23 April 2004 by then Deputy Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. kidsREAD is a collaborative effort by the National Library Board (NLB) together with the People’s Association (PA) and four self-help groups to promote the love of reading and cultivate good reading habits among young Singaporeans, specifically children from low-income families. The target audience of kidsREAD is children between the ages of 4 and 8, regardless of race or religion.
Objectives of kidsREAD
- To promote the love of reading and cultivate good reading habits among young Singaporeans
- To leverage on the strengths of various partners to create a reading programme for children
- To provide an avenue for children from various races to interact from an early age.
- To help enhance the quality of life of the children and their families.
- between the ages of 4 and 8
- Singaporeans or PRs
- Gross monthly household income not exceeding $6,000 or per capita income not exceeding $1500.
Volunteers are the lifeline of kidsREAD. They help to inculcate good reading habits from young and discover the joy of reading. Resources to aid the volunteers in their role are provided:
· Storytelling Training Videos
· Volunteer Resource Guidebook, which provides suggestions on how each session can be carried out.
The main aim for volunteers is to get the children interested in books and to make reading a fun and enjoyable experience for the children.
Volunteers can choose to volunteer at any of the reading clubs that have been set up island wide. The schedule is dependent on the reading club the volunteer would like to be attached to. Some reading clubs run on weekdays and some on weekends.
Join us as a volunteer today! Click here to find out more on how to sign up.
kidsREAD 15th Anniversary
To commemorate our 15th Anniversary, watch this video on our achievements over the years. See how the programme has changed the lives of participants and volunteers and their thoughts of kidsREAD.
kidsREAD 10th Anniversary
Look back in time as we celebrated this momentous milestone!