Abigail Huang tracks the movement of the National Archives of Singapore, from its early days in the Raffles Museum and Library on Stamford Road to an old school building at the foot of Fort Canning.
Interpretive Centres by the National Archives of Singapore
In the 2000s, NAS opened two World War II “Interpretive Centres”– places where archival records, especially oral history accounts, present multifaceted stories of Singapore’s history.
“Reflections at Bukit Chandu”, at 31K Pepys Road, was officially opened in February 2002. Launched to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the fall of Singapore, it honours the brave soldiers of the Malay Regiment in their heroic defence against Japanese enemy forces in one of the last battles before the fall of Singapore in February 1942. The National Heritage Board took over its management in 2012.
The “Memories at Old Ford Factory” exhibition gallery, at the Former Ford Factory at 351 Upper Bukit Timah Road, was opened in February 2006 to relive the dark days of the Japanese Occupation in Singapore between 1942 and 1945. This building, used as an assembly plant for the Ford Motor Company in 1941, was the site of the British surrender of Singapore to the Japanese. The exhibition was revamped and retitled in 2017 as “Surviving the Japanese Occupation: War and Its Legacies”.