Meyer Road

Singapore Infopedia


Meyer Road stretches from Tanjong Rhu Road to Tanjong Katong Road. Today, Meyer Road is a prime residential district with private houses as well as condominiums. A stone's throw away from the East Coast Park, Meyer Road is easily accessible by the East Coast Expressway extending from the city to Changi International Airport.

It is named after Sir Reuben Manasseh Meyer (1846–1930), the Jewish businessman who built the Chesed-El Synagogue and owned the old Sea View Hotel facing the road. It is said that the road was named by him, but it was established during a 1921 street-naming exercise “with a view to simplify the house numbering of the town”. Manasseh Meyer was known for his philanthropic efforts which included the Manasseh Meyer Trust. Meyer owned several properties in Singapore and named a few after himself, such as Meyer Chambers in Raffles Place.

Fort Road runs between Meyer Road and the East Coast Parkway. The famous Katong Park sits here.2 This park used to house a fort during the pre-war years. The tunnels led to different directions with the fort facing the sea, defending the island against a possible sea attack.3 However, the fort was abandoned and buried by the British after 1901. In the 1960s, Katong Park was built atop the fort.4 Other landmarks along this road include the Katong Park Hotel, previously known as the Duke Hotel or the Ambassador Hotel.5 In 1963, a bomb exploded in Katong Park during the Confrontation with Indonesia. The windows of the Ambassador Hotel at Meyer Road were shattered during the explosion.6 Meyer Road was nicknamed the “Little India of the East Coast” due to a large number of North Indians residing in the area, creating an “instant community”.7

The earliest flats in Singapore were thought to be built by Manasseh Meyer: Crescent Flats in 1909 and Meyer Apartments in 1928. The buildings were seen as the earliest examples of luxury, beach-front apartments. The crescent curve of the flats is supposedly based on a similar design of terrace houses in Bath, United Kingdom.8


Renuka M.

1. Victor R. Savage and Brenda S. A. Yeoh, Singapore Street Names: A Study of Toponymics (Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Editions, 2013), 255 (Call no. RSING 915.9570014 SAV-[TRA]); “Municipal Commission,” Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884–1942), 26 February 1921, 14. (From NewspaperSG)
2. Norman Edwards and Peter Keys, Singapore: A Guide to Buildings, Streets, Places (Singapore: Times Books International, 1988), 389. (Call no. RSING 915.957 EDW-[TRA])
3. Tay Tsen-Waye, “Work Begins to Unearth Fort,” Straits Times, 25 October 2004, 8. (From NewspaperSG)
4. Jeremy Au Yong, “Fort Tanjong Katong, Buried, Dug Up – and Buried Again,” Straits Times, 9 April 2006, 10. (From NewspaperSG)
5. Justin Corfield and Robin S. Corfield, Encyclopedia of Singapore (Singapore: Talisman Publishing, 2006), 51. (Call no. RSING 959.57003 COR-[HIS])
6. “This Day in History,” Straits Times, 24 September 2005, 50. (From NewspaperSG)
7. Arti Mulchand, “(East) India Company,” Straits Times, 14 November 2001, 4. (From NewspaperSG)
8. “Save Historic Meyar Road Flats, Urged Readers, Experts,” Straits Times, 31 October 1991, 23; “Meyer Road Flats to Make Way for Condo,” Straits Times, 21 October 1991, 22. (From NewspaperSG)

The information in this article is valid as of 2016 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Rights Statement

The information on this page and any images that appear here may be used for private research and study purposes only. They may not be copied, altered or amended in any way without first gaining the permission of the copyright holder.

More to Explore

Singapore Civil Defence Force


The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) is a uniformed organisation that provides emergency services to the nation both during peacetime and under crisis. It serves not only as a fire-fighting authority, but also provides first-aid and rescue services, and acts as an educator on fire safety procedures. ...

Beaulieu House


Beaulieu House is located at 117 Beaulieu Road, within the grounds of what is now Sembawang Park. Built sometime in the 1910s, the house was believed to have been owned by a Jewish family by the name of David, before the building and the surrounding land were acquired by the...



Simei is one of the five subzones of the Tampines planning area located in the eastern region of Singapore. It is bounded by the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE), Upper Changi Road East and Bedok Park Connector. Measuring 225 ha in size, Simei makes up 11 percent of the total land area...

Former Asia Insurance Building (Ascott Raffles Place)


The former Asia Insurance Building is located at 2 Finlayson Green. With 18 storeys rising above a double-volume ground floor, it was once the tallest building in Southeast Asia at a height of 270 ft (82 m). Designed by one of Singapore’s pioneer architects, Ng Keng Siang, the office building...



Sengkang is an estate located in the northeast region of Singapore. Sengkang derived its name from a road called Lorong Sengkang, off Lorong Buangkok....

Urban Redevelopment Authority


The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) is Singapore’s national land-use planning and conservation authority. It was formed in 1974, though it has its roots in the Urban Renewal Department set up by the Housing and Development Board (HDB) in the 1960s. Its mission is “to make Singapore a great city to...

St John's Island


St John's Island is a southern island famous for its history as a penal settlement but is now a holiday resort....

Helix Bridge


The Helix, commonly referred to as Helix Bridge, is the longest pedestrian bridge in Singapore. Opened in 2010, the bridge has a distinctive double helix structure modelled on the DNA structure. It overlooks Marina Bay, forming a curve next to the vehicular Bayfront Bridge and the Youth Olympic Park, and...

Golden Mile Complex


Golden Mile Complex is a residential and commercial development, situated between Nicoll Highway and Beach Road. Formerly known as Woh Hup Complex, it was developed as part of the Urban Renewal Department’s goal to redevelop Singapore’s central area in the 1960s. Over the years, it has become a popular location...



Siglap is a residential district situated in the eastern part of Singapore. Noted in John Turnbull Thomson’s survey map of 1846, Siglap was originally known for its fishing villages and coconut plantations, before it was developed into a suburban residential district. In 1930, the Siglap district had grown to cover...