Release Date : 21 Jun 2012
Mr Lee Yi Shyan, Minister of State, Ministry of Trade and Industry and Ministry of National Development and Member of Parliament for East Coast GRC,
Ladies and gentlemen,
1. Good morning. Thank you Minister of State for taking time to launch the National Library Boardfs eDevices loan service.
2. This service has been made possible by the generosity of Factiva Limited, OverDrive Inc., W3.XS Private Limited, FotoHub Holdings Private Limited, InfoHost Private Limited, DB United and the U.S. Embassy Singapore. Collectively, they have donated 100 iPads, 100 Tumblebook Playaways and 5 Kindles for NLB to offer this service. Users can look forward to accessing a wide range of NLBfs eResources on these iPads. This includes eBooks and eDatabases such as Factiva, which has content from over 35,000 online news and information sources. My heartfelt thanks to each one of you. Iam sure the community appreciates your contribution.
3. We are very touched by your kind gesture for the benefit of the less well-off in our community. This is a good start and we believe other corporations and organisations will follow in your footsteps and donate more eDevices. This will enable NLB to loan the donated eDevices to a larger number of people, especially students, who cannot afford to own one.
4. For now, this service is available at the Bedok Public Library. With more donated eDevices, we hope to extend this service to other libraries.
5. I am also pleased to share with you that NLB is also launching the new Wireless@SG at all libraries. Users can look forward to a better and faster internet surfing experience at the libraries. The faster surfing speed will certainly enhance the experience for library users.
6. Once again, I would like to thank all the donors on behalf of those who benefit from this service. And thank you, Minister of State, for gracing this event.