Ambitious alignments : new histories of Southeast Asian art, 1945-1990 / edited by Stephen H Whiteman [and 3 others].
- Whiteman, Stephen H.editor.
- National Gallery Singaporepublisher.
- NSW, Australia :Power Publications :2018.
- vi, 335 pages :color illustrations ;25 cm
- This new volume explores the art and architecture of Southeast Asia in the postwar period. Ten essays by emerging scholars draw upon unexplored archives and works of art, bearing witness to rich local histories and uncovering complex artistic exchanges across Cambodia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and beyond. The collection sheds new light on the significance of architecture, painting, installation, photography, and sculpture in the historical narratives of this period and offers fresh insights into artistic production and reception within the cultural and political contexts of postcolonialism and the Cold War, the legacies of which continue to shape the region today.
- Art, Southeast Asian -- History -- 20th century.
- Architecture -- History. -- Southeast Asia